Autumn River Campaign

Chris Plumb

Great catch Chris, especially with what looks like a fairly heavy frost on the ground! And a bonus barbel too.

Heavy frost - your not kidding - air temp was 22ºF when I arrived - thats around -5ºC!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heavy frost - your not kidding - air temp was 22ºF when I arrived - thats around -5ºC!

C.

-5? bloody warm over there......-8 last night but the grayling were biting well........so I've heard!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I had a couple of hours before dark on the Thames - just one bite and one fish, a very hard fighting chub of 3-4lb, which took two lobworms so gently I would never have guessed a chub was to blame.

I think the swim would have fished better with float tactics from upstream.

-5? bloody warm over there......-8 last night but the grayling were biting well........so I've heard!

Its true! Worms was kind enough to share a stretch of his local river with me. This morning after losing a very very big fish (if it was a grayling it was well over 3lbs) I caught a lovely PB male grayling of 2lb 9oz.

Thanks Worms, very very generous for sharing your time and knowledge and river with me, that fish made my season!

Rich

Just back from an awesome chubbing session on the Kennet. 50lb of fish in 2½hrs on trotted maggot - 6 chub over 4lb - biggest below had the needle settling just the right side of 6lb. Even had a surprise barbel!

6-0Chub536x357.jpg

FrostyBarbel.jpg

:D

C.

Sounds like a great mornings sport and another six as well, well done Chris.:thumbs:

I was out, but didn't last long as the river was low, clear and very cold. With a heavy frost, easterly breeze and bright sunshine it just didn't feel fishy to me.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Congratulations again Richard - a whopper from a new river right at the end of the season - doesn't get much better! Well done to Worms too for his excellent ghillying :)

And another well done to Chris - that's a really great result for the conditions.

I had a day of two halves yesterday. I spent the first half of the afternoon trotting maggots at yet another new bit of my favourite tributary, and had a great time. I wasn't expecting much, with a low, crystal clear and freezing cold river, but I found a few pockets of fish and ended up with a lovely big (for me!) dace, 3 super-fat little perch and 5 proper chub - all apart from 1 were between 3-4lb! In one particular spot - a mini pool on a bend where the river deepened out and the flow slowed - I had 4 of the chub one after the other in 4 casts. When I hooked the first one I honestly thought I'd struck gold and fluked a very rare barbel as it just hugged the bottom and I couldn't shift it at all - but it was my old friend the chub :)

So I finally gave the braided mainline a good workout - really love it. Even with a pre-stretched 3lb hooklength and size 16 hook in fast water, nothing bent, snapped or felt on the limit. Phew!

The second half of the day was with Chris at the chub river, and it just felt all wrong from the start. We gave it a good go and fished well into darkness, but the crays were on the march and that usually means the chub are not feeding. And that's what happened :D

So, one more weekend left and we aren't going to get our mild spell this season. It's been tough!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Well done on your PB Rich, that's a lovely grayling in anybody's book.......it was a pleasure to sit by that river, fishing or not and just as good to watch somebody else fishing it properly!

As for that biggy well, those naughty salmon tend to hug the bottom in that spot mind, just the occasional violent shake of the head to let you know that they're there.....before they smash you (I'm still hoping for that mythical 4 1/2lb hen fish though ;) )

Nick.

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Well done on your PB Rich, that's a lovely grayling in anybody's book.......it was a pleasure to sit by that river, fishing or not and just as good to watch somebody else fishing it properly!

As for that biggy well, those naughty salmon tend to hug the bottom in that spot mind, just the occasional violent shake of the head to let you know that they're there.....before they smash you (I'm still hoping for that mythical 4 1/2lb hen fish though ;) )

Nick.

Not sure it was a salmon, it moved slowly round the pool, I just couldn't get it up to net even though I got it to my feet! I'd imagine the salmon go mental! The fight reminded me of a large barbel slow and ponderous without and fast runs.

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

Well done to all you guys, some cracking sessions and reports. I am very envious as my autumn campaign never even started apart from the 2 AN fish ins. Thought I might actually get out over the weekend and everthing was looking fine for an afternoon/evening session until just after dinner yesyerday My wife had gone to Ipswich with my youngest lad so the coast was clear to dissappear. Car loaded to go, rods set up then to the fridge to get the bait. Maggots and worms frozen solid where my wife had moved them from the bottom and put the right under the freezing compartment :wallbash: . No worries I thought, just give a ring on the mobile to pick some fresh bait up, only problem was that I could hear her mobile going off somewhare in the kitchen. She even asked when she got back "Why didn't you ring me" Anyhow mission aborted and it was the first time for weeks that the local river looked in any sort of nick. Just hope it stays that way for next weekend.

Not sure it was a salmon, it moved slowly round the pool, I just couldn't get it up to net even though I got it to my feet! I'd imagine the salmon go mental! The fight reminded me of a large barbel or carp slow and ponderous without and fast runs.

Rich

50/50 with salmon, sometimes they go ballistic, sometimes they just doddle around the bottom in low gear. If you do manage to get them off the bottom and near the net that's when they go ballistic, just as you're staring open-mouthed in disbelief with your rod tip tangled in that flipping oak tree :D

I like to think however that it was a huge grayling.........I might just go for a stroll with the rod later B)

I wish you hadn't mentioned the "C" word!

Nick.