Timsbury AN Annual Grayling fish in

Tony U

I managed a grayling on the fly last year, but it was more luck than judgement. I'd like to get some more this year, so I will be bringing my little river rod and having a bash.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as there seems too be a fly thing going on ,i'll bring along a little rod as well ,might just fit a go in .although i'm useless at casting a fly rod ,it would be nice too catch on one .

funny thing is i've only just brought it the other week ,i went into the tackle shop too buy my new spliced tipped rod ,came out with the intended rod plus this 8ft 5wt fly rod (never even thought about fly rods ,as i've two 10fters already) some floats ( i mean ,like i need more floats ) & weights etc

how do they do that ,you go in all inocent and come out curupted and wondering where all your money's gone :headhurt::rolleyes::D

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

as there seems too be a fly thing going on ,i'll bring along a little rod as well ,might just fit a go in .although i'm useless at casting a fly rod ,it would be nice too catch on one .

funny thing is i've only just brought it the other week ,i went into the tackle shop too buy my new spliced tipped rod ,came out with the intended rod plus this 8ft 5wt fly rod (never even thought about fly rods ,as i've two 10fters already) some floats ( i mean ,like i need more floats ) & weights etc

how do they do that ,you go in all inocent and come out curupted and wondering where all your money's gone :headhurt::rolleyes::D

Blimey,have we paid all this money to fish with a load of toffs ! :D

Blimey,have we paid all this money to fish with a load of toffs ! :D

If I see anyone casting a downstream fly, I will be furious. As for coarse fishing - well, it's called that for reason, you horrendous peasants.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I managed a grayling on the fly last year, but it was more luck than judgement. I'd like to get some more this year, so I will be bringing my little river rod and having a bash.

At this time of year I like using a 'peeping caddis' (long shank size 12-14, wrapped with some lead wire, singe the end of the wrist 'bead' on a latex glove 'til it goes round and black, whip 1/2 inch of that on with the head to the top of the hook bend and finish off with a dubbed body of a colour suitable for your river). Fished on a leader approximately 1' shorter than your rod, short cast upstream so that you are in constant touch with the fly and by short I mean no more than 20'. It's amazing how many grayling you can pick up and even more amazing how many you pick off right at your feet. If that fails, two red maggots instead of the peeping caddis and fill your creel! :P

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Fished on a leader approximately 1' shorter than your rod, short cast upstream so that you are in constant touch with the fly and by short I mean no more than 20'. It's amazing how many grayling you can pick up and even more amazing how many you pick off right at your feet.

Is that what they call "Czech nymphing"?

If that fails, two red maggots instead of the peeping caddis and fill your creel! :P

How uncouth! I would instead fish the early bluebottle imitation:

ET18MB.jpg

:lol:

Is that what they call "Czech nymphing"?

I believe so, or, at least something similar. I've been doing it for years on small streams and rivers because it can be the only way to cast!

How uncouth! I would instead fish the early bluebottle imitation:

ET18MB.jpg

Oh, you mean the 'Butcher's early cleaner fly nymph' B)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Anderoo and I found a rubber maggot dropped on the banks of Farmoor I trout fishery - well technically it' a very faithful reproduction of a natural insect and so entirely within the ethos of the rules for that water, but I suspect the bailiff would have disapproved!