That little stretch of the Itchen between Mansbridge and Woodmill

Houseplant

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Graham X:

Correct, and no rod licence needed (saline water).

"Does tidal mean no fishing?"

Not necessarily..it just means a different style of fishing, different quarry etc., if that's what you meant? As I said, the tidal stretch of the Itchen is saline and free fishing, all the way down to Ocean Village.

The salinity has nothing to do with it, it's the species that you are fishing for that determines whether you need a coarse licence, out to the 6 nautical mile limit.

I got this recently from the Environment Agency:

A Rod Licence is required when fishing for freshwater fish, eels, Salmon or Sea Trout anywhere in England or Wales and out to 6 miles at sea.

Any angler deemed to be fishing for these whether in marine, tidal or freshwater will need to ensure they are licenced for them, whether or not they have caught.

For enforcement, the Agency will consider whether the angler is fishing at a location and with a method liable to catch these species.

If so they will enforce the licence requirement.

Regards

William Fawcett

Environment Agency

Public Enquiries Co-ordinator

Head Office Operations, Executive Office

01454 624411

[ 03. March 2004, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Hi guys

Visited the stretch this morning. Got down there at 0730, although the plan was 0630 - best of intentions and all that!

Decided to go spinning because a) I like spinning and B) it would give me a good chance to cover a lot of ground and get a feel for the water.

Fished my socks off, using all my flash American-bought lures and nothing. Changed to a Mepps No.3 and first cast resulted in a pristine, albeit leach covered jack of around 2lb at the big bend in the park. Then nothing until I got back to the swim immediately below The White Swan and I caught an identical fish on a heavily weighted Mepps Lusox in VERY FAST water.

A very enjoyable morning.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

quote:

Originally posted by Sipadan:

Hi guys

Visited the stretch this morning. Got down there at 0730, although the plan was 0630 - best of intentions and all that!

Decided to go spinning because a) I like spinning and B) it would give me a good chance to cover a lot of ground and get a feel for the water.

Fished my socks off, using all my flash American-bought lures and nothing. Changed to a Mepps No.3 and first cast resulted in a pristine, albeit leach covered jack of around 2lb at the big bend in the park. Then nothing until I got back to the swim immediately below The White Swan and I caught an identical fish on a heavily weighted Mepps Lusox in VERY FAST water.

A very enjoyable morning.

Yup, sure sounds like it

Posted Image

Beats blanking, hey Posted Image

Well~done

DG

Guest sslatter

Leon Roskilly: "The salinity has nothing to do with it, it's the species that you are fishing for that determines whether you need a coarse licence, out to the 6 nautical mile limit."

The salinity has everything to do with it on the stretch in question: nobody in their right minds would fish it for coarse fish. That's what I meant when I said you don't need a licence to fish there, and you don't: there aren't any coarse fish, only apocryphal tales of escapee carp which may well have been some half-glimpsed sea trout. It's practically the sea, anyway. I'd like to see the bailiff who'd dare ask one of the local mullet boys for a Rod Licence in the estuary, because, using float tactics, they might catch a roach!

Graham X:

Leon Roskilly: "The salinity has nothing to do with it, it's the species that you are fishing for that determines whether you need a coarse licence, out to the 6 nautical mile limit."

The salinity has everything to do with it on the stretch in question: nobody in their right minds would fish it for coarse fish. That's what I meant when I said you don't need a licence to fish there, and you don't: there aren't any coarse fish, only apocryphal tales of escapee carp which may well have been some half-glimpsed sea trout. It's practically the sea, anyway. I'd like to see the bailiff  who'd dare ask one of the local mullet boys for a Rod Licence in the estuary, because, using float tactics, they might catch a roach!

'Any angler deemed to be fishing for these whether in marine, tidal or freshwater will need to ensure they are licenced for them, whether or not they have caught.'

That's the law!!

One of our Medway mullet Group members had a surprise when he caught two decent roach among the crabs and bladderwrack opposite Rochester Castle in the tidal Medway, where we fish for cod and whiting in the winter!

And it was in the close season too!!

Tight Lines - leon

(See also Budgies post on the 'Licence needed' thread at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb...ic;f=1;t=012462 )

[ 03. March 2004, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Tell me, Sipadan: does Woodmill pond still exist? All of this thread takes me back to my very first fishing trips, nearly forty years ago! I used to catch perch in woodmill pond, with an occasional eel. There used to be a large golden orfe in there, that swam around near the surface, just as dusk was falling: very visible but totally uncatchable! If I remember rightly, the pond was at the end of a short gravel track, on the left, just as you were going down to the bridge by the White Swan...

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Guest sslatter

Leon Roskilly:"One of our Medway mullet Group members had a surprise when he caught two decent roach among the crabs and bladderwrack opposite Rochester Castle in the tidal Medway, where we fish for cod and whiting in the winter!"

..and he didn't need a rod licence for that, did he?

If you knew the stretch in question, you would know that the rod licence question is totally irrelevant. The freshwater stretch is dammed at the mill, there's no tidal upwash into the fresh water, just a (very) controlled run-off via sluice..and below the sluice, salt water.

BTW Pangolin. The pond is still there, inbetween the two canalised stretches. The golden orfe has achieved quasi-legendary status amongst the local angling tales of yore.

..and Sipadan..my riverbank spy tells me you were wearing a woolly hat, and were sporting a beard..was that you?

..and word also of an upper teens pike on Saturday from the big bend. ;o)