That little stretch of the Itchen between Mansbridge and Woodmill

Houseplant

Guest sslatter

Yes, that's the one. Word also of a nice catch yesterday of 3 chub to 5.6.0, and a sea trout of 5.2.0, all on quivertipped luncheon meat from the long straight.

[ 04. March 2004, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter

Yep. Keep your eyes out for Barry, one of the locals who's been fishing the stretch for 50 years. He's up there at least 3-4 times a week, unless it's cold and wet. He's a veritable mine of information and tips for the stretch.

[ 04. March 2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Graham, how amazing that somebody else remembers the orfe! I reckon it was probably around 1967-70 when I fished the pond with my Dad. I remember that it was when I was running along the bank, hoping to cast to the orfe, that I snapped the end section clean off my Dad's cane rod, as it caught on the ground. We went to a tackle shop, the next day (Colin Watt's, in Swaythling) and he told us about Causton's AC (which became Eastleigh and district). We joined, and switched our fishing to the Stoneham lakes... and that's where I really caught the fishing bug.

[ 06. March 2004, 06:45 PM: Message edited by: Pangolin ]

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Guest sslatter

Pangolin:

Graham, how amazing that somebody else remembers the orfe! I reckon it was probably around 1967-70 when I fished the pond with my Dad.

All the older locals who've been here long enough remember the orfe (not me..I'm not from down here)..it was one of them who told me about it last year, and showed me some old 60s and 70s black-and-whites of the river and the pond as it was then.

Some pics of the stretch in question :)

This was taken this afternoon, is the chap fishing just below the pub one of us ?

Posted Image

This is the big bend, nice far bank slack.

Posted Image

This ones the long straight below the big bend, home of the big chub that Graham told us about.

Posted Image

The next ones way up river where the railway line crosses.

Posted Image

This was taken this morning, the water to the left is a huge pool ( The six arches pool ), the river is flowing in from the right. Right at the entrance to the pool I had four grayling on breadflake this morning, biggest 2lb 8oz which is a new PB so well pleased. :D

I was looking for chub, but none showed, also had a pike rod out earlier on and again nothing.

It's strange because these are usually banker spots ! Possibly off the feed - spawning ??

I was there this morning, wandering up and down the whole stretch rolling paste and luncheon meat for anything that would take it. Not a sniff I'm sorry to say.

Darrell, your first photo freaked me out because that was one of the few swims where I spent a prolonged amount of time. Had one of the jacks from there the other day. Anyway, it's not me because I don't own a blue keepnet (I assume that's what it is) or any keepnet for that matter.

Nice photos.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

Darrell, if you're in the area with camera, again, could you pop round to Woodmill pond and take a pic for me? (for old times sake!) Do any of you Southampton anglers fish the Stoneham lakes? Last time I walked around them, a few years back, the lower lake had been drained: not sure if it was intentional. The upper lake used to be a very special fishery indeed...

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.