That little stretch of the Itchen between Mansbridge and Woodmill

Houseplant

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter

Sipadan:

I was there this morning, wandering up and down the whole stretch rolling paste and luncheon meat for anything that would take it. Not a sniff I'm sorry to say.

It's not a method in favour with the locals at the moment, whose ethos seems to be: if you want to fish a moving bait, floatfish. If you want to fish a leger, then find a "hole" or feature/whatever, then put enough lead on to hold bottom, plonk your bait in the hole, trickle-feed with freebies, and wait. (I'm not saying the locals are right or wrong in their approaches, just reporting what I've seen down there).

I suppose it helps to know which holes are the better ones. :D They're easier to spot in high summer, because the gaps in the weed betray their location. Oh yes..and if you're not catching inside an hour at most, then move swims.

If you have a really good look, and get to know it, you'll be bound to spot one or two locations that are completely overlooked by the vast majority of people who fish there, one real screamer of a spot.

Yes DG..I see where you mean now. Never been there. It looks beautiful, doesn't it?

Nice photos darrell BTW.

Hi Pangolin, Yes no probs - only thing someone will need to tell me where Wood Mill pond is!

I've only lived down here for the last couple of years and have not seen the pond.

This photo's the Lower Bishopstoke fishery which can be fished on the Eastleigh and district ticket. Accesseed from Chickenhall Lane.

This swim is stuffed with grayling, there is a long deep hole which runs for 20+ yards mid stream. Superb trotting with an avon float and pin!

Posted Image

You also turn up the odd chub ( I know there's no unhooking mat, but the grass was wet and very soft )

Posted Image

Woodmill pond used to be almost within sight of The White Swan, towards Swaythling. From the pub, you'd go across the bridge, round a righthand bend and up a little hill, before turning right, along a short track. the pond was on the left, at the end of the track. Perhaps Peter waller's aerial photo site would be useful here!

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

quote:

Originally posted by darrell.cook:

This photo's the Lower Bishopstoke fishery which can be fished on the Eastleigh and district ticket. Accesseed from Chickenhall Lane.

This swim is stuffed with grayling, there is a long deep hole which runs for 20+ yards mid stream. Superb trotting with an avon float and pin!

You also turn up the odd chub ( I know there's no unhooking mat, but the grass was wet and very soft )

Darrell,

More top-drawer photos ... and the one of your 'pin

Posted Image

caught my eye especially, because, if I'm not mistaken, it's quite a rare 'pin, one of quite a short 10-off batch made by an engineering company somewhere in the So't'on/B'mouth area.

My interest? Well, this one's (one of) mine

Posted Image

and I've never seen anyone else with one

I got mine (and was robbed) from Robber Ron, the then owner of Christchurch Angling (It's changed hand now, thankfully) .... where did you get yours? :confused:

DG

[ 08. March 2004, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pangolin:

Woodmill pond used to be almost within sight of The White Swan, towards Swaythling. From the pub, you'd go across the bridge, round a righthand bend and up a little hill, before turning right, along a short track. the pond was on the left, at the end of the track.

Does this help?

Posted Image

Posted Image

DG

Guest sslatter

What looks like a big pond is in fact the Woodmill Salmon Fishery, where you can buy a permit to fish for salmon and sea trout in season. In the photo, if you look to 8 o'clock from the "I" of the word "Itchen", that small greyish patch that you can see is the pond. :)

DG, My pin is an Arnolod Kingpin, so not as rare as yours - but remarkably similar!

I guess one must be styled on the other.

I've had this one a couple of years now - and love it! I bought it second hand for £70 from a guy on Ebay.

I was actually bidding on a Swallow 'pin at the time, but the price went too high, then this guy who must have been watching people bid contacted me and offered me this one.

I'll be giving it a blast tomorrow on the Avon, hoping for a bigger chub this time!

quote:

Originally posted by Graham X:

What looks like a big pond is in fact the Woodmill Salmon Fishery, where you can buy a permit to fish for salmon and sea trout in season. In the photo, if you look to 8 o'clock from the "I" of the word "Itchen", that small greyish patch that you can see is the pond. :)

________ Posted Image

DG