That little stretch of the Itchen between Mansbridge and Woodmill

Houseplant

Fished there today and blanked again! Mimicked Barry's method of ledgered meat paste, but it didn't work for me, even though I fished in the same spots and moved on every hour or so. Froze my nuts (and feet) off to.

To add insult to injury, another old timer turned up and fished next to me for a bit. Nice chap who gave plenty of good advice and was very skilled with a centrepin. He was seriously catching on trotted bread flake and had a nice sea trout (which got boshed on the head) amoung other bits and pieces.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Sipadan:

.... another old timer turned-up and fished next to me for a bit. Nice chap who gave plenty of good advice and was very skilled with a centrepin. He was seriously catching on trotted bread flake .....

:mad: Old-timer!! No respect, these younger people :rolleyes: But you have to be an Old-timer to get insurance for a Posted Image

_______ Posted Image

Actually, re-reading Sipadan's post, it must have been yet another OLD F4RT because there's no-way I'd ever knock any fish on the head. The people who do that are the OLD F4RTs who then grizzle "oooh .. where have all the fish gone?"

"You've eaten them you silly OLD F4RT .. that's where!"

And I just wonder if that OLD F4RT's licence covered Migratory Trout :rolleyes:

DG

[ 12. March 2004, 08:33 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

quote:

Originally posted by Sipadan:

quote:

Originally posted by The Diamond Geezer:

"oooh .. where have all the fish gone?"

Yes he did say that and also gave me a good recipe for pan-fried grayling! Said he had a brace from the Stour yesterday :rolleyes:
The b@stard :mad: Unfortunately EA By-laws make this entirely legal ..... but could they organise a party in a brewery? Nope! Not in my experience ... did you see the laughable bit about the EA and the stocking of the Itchen and Test on TV .... the EA's a joke!

Anyway, hopefully the OLD F4RT you met will catch something really big that'll give him a heart-attack or worse :D

_________ Posted Image

DG

[ 12. March 2004, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Guest sslatter

I'm dismayed to hear the tale of the older angler and the sea trout. For a start, it was most likely a spent fish..I've seen several nice ones up there recently, but they were all spent fish.

There is one local, a "centrepin boy", who is known for knocking the odd fish on the head. It may have been him.

I'll check the grapevine..

If it was, it just compounds the frustration felt.

Sipadan..don't worry, you'll catch. Keep trying different techniques, baits etc. Maybe you'll hit on something that the locals have overlooked. They can tend to be a tad dogmatic in their approaches.

quote:

Originally posted by Graham X:

I'm dismayed to hear the tale of the older angler and the sea trout. There is one local, a "centrepin boy", who is known for knocking the odd fish on the head. It may have been him.

Makes me feel like knocking the Old Geezer on the head :mad:

Maybe The Almighty will get to him first :D

Or vice versa :D

DG

[ 12. March 2004, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: The Diamond Geezer ]

Dear Leon,

Just wondered.

Do "Octoplus" or similar do a seat and stand platform capable of setting up just outside the 6 nautical mile limit? I wouldn't want to fall foul of the EA enforcement chaps. Not that I can imagine them rowing all the way out to my lonesome sandbank to check my rod license when they have trouble checking land lubbers on dry land.

Shiver me timbers and splice the mainbrace.

Regards,

Lee.

• 8 years later...
I've been living in this neck of the woods for 18 months now - the Itchen is a real belter!!

The stretch you refer to is, as graham says, free fishing. The stretch throughout the park is well fished particularly during the summer months. Most people favour trotting here, and steady loose feed should bring some bites.

When I've fished it I've mostly gone for the stretch above the pub. There are some good chub in this stretch, put on your polaroids and stand and stare - they'll soon appear!

The best swim I've found is right at the top - below Gator Mill, take care though as the pavement runs out and the bank is quite steep.

A legered breadflake to the far bank underneath the tree will produce a couple of chub. Alternatively don your waders and stand in the shallows and trot down the far side.

On a summers evening, get out the back of the White swan, buy a pint and a packet of nuts, drink the pint and feed the nuts to the plentiful chub and odd carp that swim right alongside the decking!( Theres no fishing here ) :rolleyes:

I've also had a couple of small pike just below the stone bridge in the slack water on the far side.

If you want to fish other stretches, Eastleigh and District have their own parts as well as access to "The Lower Bishopstoke Fishery" between November and end of February ( Saturdays and Sundays ) If you want even more try applying for membership of Eastleigh Railway Institute Fishing club. This is the club I belong to, and have had grayling to 2lb 6oz, chub to 4lb 10oz. pike to 11lb and this weekend carp 12lb 4 oz.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Hi Darrell'

I would like to join The Eastleigh Railway Institute Fishing Club could you please give me contact details. Many thanks in advance.

John.

John.