Big roach

tiddlertamer

There are some great posts on here so thanks guys. i caught a 1 pound 5 ounce roach on the river stort about five years ago and i am sure it was not a hybrid as i have caught a few of those on the stort over these last few years. My approach at the time was put out a few maggots and see what happens so it was a total fluke. Beautiful fish and i was chuffed to bits.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that all my bigger roach - including all my 2lbers have been caught 'by accident'. Big roach on the Kennet are few and far between - however my preferred style of fishing - trotting - gives me a chance of getting a biggie if one happens to be around. Thus my biggest (2lb11oz) came on a day when I was fishing for monster dace - I also had a 1.15 the same day. This was from a classic roachy looking swim - tight to Common Reed, a clear gravel bottom - with the current just perceptibly slower and the water around 6inches deeper. It was stuffed with big dace - and a few roach that appeared to be shoalling with them! My other 2lbers have all come when I've been chub fishing with trotted maggot or trotted bread - and I've had a few 'big1s' when grayling fishing.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I will be fishing the Tay just above Perth this weekend, ostensibly for Graying but the story is that there are some decent roach in there.

I will be trotting maggot/worm but may also use a swimfeeder with some mashed bread and bread flake on the hook.

Now what would I prefer, 3lb Grayling or 2lb roach???

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Well lets put it this way. You might get a 2lb roach but I have more chance of nailing Mila Jovovich this evening than you have of nailing a 3lb grayling. Stop living in fantasy world. The grayling isn't going to happen.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

This is such a good topic :)

Andy, yes I do read your posts!

No, no, don't try and fix your mistake now. I'm hurt and it's your fault....boo hoo!

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Well lets put it this way. You might get a 2lb roach but I have more chance of nailing Mila Jovovich this evening than you have of nailing a 3lb grayling. Stop living in fantasy world. The grayling isn't going to happen.

Mila Jovovich was nothing to write home about ;)

Your stories are getting wilder by the minute. First it's 2lb roach and 3lb grayling and now you've had Mila Jovovivich.

Time for a dose of Anti-psychotics nurse methinks.... :lol:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Your stories are getting wilder by the minute. First it's 2lb roach and 3lb grayling and now you've had Mila Jovovivich.

Time for a dose of Anti-psychotics nurse methinks.... :lol:

Sorry, I thought everyone had, why, Haven't you?

I just said I had more chance of nailing her. That doesn't mean I haven't..... :P

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Clearly Ukranian born actresses and models are big in Scotland. :) (I'll admit I had to google search to find out who Mila Jovovivich was but now I know - and she clearly has a certain appeal and a couple of foothills which would appeal to most red blooded scottish warriors.) Now we've established bragging rights with regards to poor old Mila, can we get back on topic and talk about the 2lb roach... (I clearly am an effete London dandy :rolleyes: )

I note from threads elsewhere that other Anglers Net stalwarts are fishing up to six pound line for perch and chub.

I normally fish three pound line straight through when trotting for roach, as well as chub.

But at the weekend, whilst fishing on the Hampshire Avon, I met someone fishing for roach with one and a half pound hooklength. :o

Is that what is required to catch that special 2lb roach?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)