Big roach

tiddlertamer

Weir sluices on the Thames are screwed right up to hold back water ,Its flowing over the steps of the weirs but that flatters to deceive ,As soon as you move away from the pool the flow of the river is non existent.

All that rain on one day the other week made Jack !£$%% difference to the rivers around here and if we don`t get any until after a cold snap then all it will do when it arrives is wash salt into them killing sport ,kinda hoping we get a load and soon Steve.

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching them plough the field behind my house today, very surprised to see dust blowing off the freshly ploughed soil from 12/15inches deep.

Den

Last week, I dug some of my potatoes and was amazed to find the ground still quite dry, not very far down, despite the deluges of the week before.

In September, the earth below is usually wet and there are plenty of big lobworms to be had.

Even if we get some good rain (forecast this week), it will not be until the earth becomes sodden, and the water table begins to rise, that the rivers will start to benefit.

Otherwise it will just be a quick run-off :(

(No doubt it won't be long before we are moaning that the swollen rivers are unfishable!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Can anyone remember rivers being so low in mid October? I've been struggling. I can see big fish. I caan even get them to feed when I'm putting in loose feed. But the water is so low and gin clear in the rivers I'm fishing, the canny chub and retiring roach are refusing to take my long trotted hook bait!

I can imagine rivers being so low is a common phenomenon in summer but so late in the year - is that normal? Anyone else struggling with their autumn river fishing this year?

No, it's crazy. I just got used to constant flooding, and now we're in drought conditions. The Thames here has literally no flow, it's terrible. The perch stream is static. Other tributaries are the lowest I've ever seen them, crossable in just wellies in many places.

As others have said, the groundwater is so low that we need loads of rain before the rivers see any benefit.

It'll be the anglers that adapt and find a way to fish effectively in these conditions that will manage to get a few decent fish, but it'll be hard work!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

No, it's crazy. I just got used to constant flooding, and now we're in drought conditions. The Thames here has literally no flow, it's terrible. The perch stream is static. Other tributaries are the lowest I've ever seen them, crossable in just wellies in many places.

As others have said, the groundwater is so low that we need loads of rain before the rivers see any benefit.

It'll be the anglers that adapt and find a way to fish effectively in these conditions that will manage to get a few decent fish, but it'll be hard work!

Heavy rain is predicted in the south of England for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Hopefully it'll make a bit of a difference to the low water levels in rivers and the seemingly drought like Autumn conditions.

Of course the water table is low. Of course the ground will soak up much of the rain. :unsure:

But, in a quote that Anglers Net resident contrarian Chesters 1 would be proud of hearing here, I shall use the words of Winston Churchill:

"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." :)

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Yes, we should see a change by the weekend. It still feels too early for chub but Lutra and Arbocop's huge fish are making me rethink that! I might have an exploratory chub session at the weekend, just to see what's what. It feels perchy still, and I would love a good perch from the Thames before the frosts arrive.

As for roach - well, I am now going to Timsbury ( :rolleyes: ) so I should get that 3lber this season after all :D I think a day of trotting breadflake may be in order.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

The strange thing is we (or at least I) haven't heard any sabre-rattling from Thames Water about the aquafers being empty, need to conserve water etc. Has anyone else?

john clarke

The strange thing is we (or at least I) haven't heard any sabre-rattling from Thames Water about the aquafers being empty, need to conserve water etc. Has anyone else?

No - that will happen next spring if we get a dry winter - its rain between now and March we need to refill the aquifers.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've loved it! I find the fish easy to locate in the upper/middle kennet where I get my tackle out (fnurk). Like many, I am a roving angler with only a bag, net and rod and just wander to all the likely spots. The stretch I fish is not overfished - particularly the end of the stretch furthest from the car parks. Keeping low, gentle footsteps, wearing drab colours and trotting - it's worked for me. I want it to rain, but the sport has been so good, Im loathe to have to change my tactics! However, back to the thread - I've had no roach at all this summer, a couple of 4 oz fish from a slower swim, but apart from that nothing. A bit of turbidity will help in that but I agree with Mr Plumb, the middle/upper Kennet does not seem to have many roach, let alone big ones.

I wonder if the crayfish eat all the eggs? What are the roach stocks like in the other crayfish infested rivers?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Decent Roach have been coming out of the free sections of the Kennet and the canal in Newbury.

A month ago I thought I'd got a red letter day, but the 4 biggest ALL came in at 1-14, following weekend I got one 2-2. I can also vouch for a 3-1 coming out of the Thatcham AA section behind B&Q in the same session as 2 more 2s to the same rod.

And that's all I'm saying :D

Yes, we should see a change by the weekend. It still feels too early for chub but Lutra and Arbocop's huge fish are making me rethink that! I might have an exploratory chub session at the weekend, just to see what's what. It feels perchy still, and I would love a good perch from the Thames before the frosts arrive.

As for roach - well, I am now going to Timsbury ( :rolleyes: ) so I should get that 3lber this season after all :D I think a day of trotting breadflake may be in order.

River records tumbled last week according to today's Angling Times.

That included a 8lb 14 oz chub from the river Lea - a record for running water. Just up the road from my base in north London.

Meanwhile I had been targeting the Hampshire Avon involving a lot of travel and expense. :headhurt: Ho hum!

Elsewhere, a 5lb 6oz perch came out of the Great Ouse on float fished lobworms.

So although there have been weeks of low rainfall and poor fishing conditions, clearly some anglers have battled through and come up with the goods.

No bad idea methinks to target those chub and perch. :)

Still no rain in London though. Any better news elsewhere?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)