tench fishing tips

michael d

good morning, i am off on a weeks fishing trip on saturday it is only a small lake about 1 acar it has got a small water fountin a read bed and lilly pads i am going to try and catch some nice tench

could any one give me any tips ie useing a leadger rod or flot rod and wot sort of set up do you find best thanks michael :)

good morning, i am off on a weeks fishing trip on saturday it is only a small lake about 1 acar it has got a small water fountin a read bed and lilly pads i am going to try and catch some nice tench

could any one give me any tips ie useing a leadger rod or flot rod and wot sort of set up do you find best thanks michael :)

Sounds great! It sounds like a place that would be ideal for float fishing! You could try the lift method? I'd imagine there will be tench near the reeds and the lillies. Have a wander around at dawn or dusk and you'll be able to see the tench roll and bubble and then you'll know where to fish.

I'd probably not bother ledgering in such a small water unless the bottom is nice and clean and the tench were feeding a long chuck away!

Rich

Guest tigger

If your float fishing and aiming for Tench you don't always have to fish on the bottom especially in warm conditions. I've caught Tench many times fishing up in the water when float fishing. Your best bet is just alter your depth every now and again until you strike gold ! Failing that in a smallish pond like that you could fish a small 1/2 or 1/4 ounce sliding bomb and say 6lb line straight through to the hook using a quiver tip.

Edited by tigger

I'd suggest that your number 1 bait should be lobworm - in my experience the best tench bait going, and particularly good when fishing the lift method in the margins. Also don't neglect the humble maggot, the video of tench feeding shot at Wingham last weekend showed them happily taking maggot whilst ignoring the corn in the same area.

Will

Edited by Will Wilkinson

I agree with the other posters about fishing in the margins for tench, caster and worm would be one of my first choices I think but corn and hemp have worked for me in the past. One thing I think you should really give a go is the fountain, IME anywhere fresh water enters a lake be it a stream, fountain or waterfall are good producers, maybe not for tench but if your tench swim dries up I would consider a waggler set up towards the fountain, try it shallow first then move down if you have no bites, might get you some other sport and maybe a big un.

just got back from the tackel shop and i have got some lob worm casters hemp and sweetcorn and some meat hopefully i will have a good session the swim i will be fishing has the water fountin in front of my and lilly pads and reads to my left and right i will be fishing it for the next 7 days

Sounds like you're perfectly set up for a brilliant session! Bread is worth taking too, tipped with a maggot or on it's own is a great bait for tench too.