Ugly stik 1480/015

Worms

I've been looking through old light boat rod threads. This rod comes up all the time as a real favourite for tope, pollack etc. Is it still seen as a little cracker or is it all old hat now?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking through old light boat rod threads. This rod comes up all the time as a real favourite for tope, pollack etc. Is it still seen as a little cracker or is it all old hat now?

I still use two of them for all my boat fishing! I spent my first ever weeks wages on one in 1979, when I was just 16. They were the new thing back then. I've used almost every other type and make of boat rod since then, but I still haven't found anything I like using more than my old 15lb class Ugly Stik. I've re-rung it a few times, but I'll never get rid of it. In fact, I was lucky enough to find another old original about 8 years ago. I snapped it up and whipped on some new Fuji's, so I've got a matching pair to use now. I get some odd looks from people on charter boats, etc, because they look so old and dated, (especially with my two old Abu 7000's on them which date from 1973 and 1978!), but they are still great rods.

Just as a point of interest, my first Ugly Stik cost me £35 brand new from Ron Edwards tackle shop in Herne Bay, and the second hand one I found 22 years later cost me £50!

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

I still use two of them for all my boat fishing! I spent my first ever weeks wages on one in 1979, when I was just 16. They were the new thing back then. I've used almost every other type and make of boat rod since then, but I still haven't found anything I like using more than my old 15lb class Ugly Stik. I've re-rung it a few times, but I'll never get rid of it. In fact, I was lucky enough to find another old original about 8 years ago. I snapped it up and whipped on some new Fuji's, so I've got a matching pair to use now. I get some odd looks from people on charter boats, etc, because they look so old and dated, (especially with my two old Abu 7000's on them which date from 1973 and 1978!), but they are still great rods.

Just as a point of interest, my first Ugly Stik cost me £35 brand new from Ron Edwards tackle shop in Herne Bay, and the second hand one I found 22 years later cost me £50!

If only they still made them like that Steve . . . I can thoroughly recommend the Suveran 12lb boat rod Steve, very much the same but more recent scenario. I've tried and owned all sorts, but the first rod I pick up for general boat fishing, up or down tide, is the 12lb Suveran and a Swedish built ABU 7500 and yes I have a matched pair too ;) Got a couple of the old red ABU's as well, circa 80's-ish.

Trying braid, again . . . at the moment, its to early to come to a conclusion, is the extra money worth it? this will be the first cod season . . . definitely a :thumbs: for bassing, especially on the drift with the lightest of single handed rods, 15-40grs!

SW

Thanks for the confirmation, I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them, pretty rare for a piece of fishing tackle!

Am I right in thinking that there was a change in the blanks at some time during their production, even though they kept the same number (1480/015)? I seem to recall reading that somewhere but I can't find that info now!

They are still available (but a bit more expensive than yours) and I was wondering whether the (alleged) blank change was a retrograde step?

I'm after an 8' ish 15lb ish rod for use with mono for general summer fishing off the Welsh coast with a budget of up to £100 (obviously £50 for an ideal rod would be better :P ).

Cheers, Nick

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Thanks for the confirmation, I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them, pretty rare for a piece of fishing tackle!

Am I right in thinking that there was a change in the blanks at some time during their production, even though they kept the same number (1480/015)? I seem to recall reading that somewhere but I can't find that info now!

They are still available (but a bit more expensive than yours) and I was wondering whether the (alleged) blank change was a retrograde step?

I'm after an 8' ish 15lb ish rod for use with mono for general summer fishing off the Welsh coast with a budget of up to £100 (obviously £50 for an ideal rod would be better :P ).

Cheers, Nick

Take my adivise, just for once Worms, in particular when you ignored me last time and splashed out on a super duper reel. :D

Go and find a lightweight sporting braid rod about 8' to go with your new very expensive reel. You'll never look back. 12-20 perfec for the big crash diving pollack, photo's to prove it. Power to weight is amazing, trust me. :)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Take my adivise, just for once Worms, in particular when you ignored me last time and splashed out on a super duper reel. :D

Sorry for ignoring you Barry but, the only metal framed, lever drag, left hand wind reel with the line capacity/drag required I could find in the UK was an Avet :D.........and no more expensive than some of the RHW Shimanos and Daiwas!

Go and find a lightweight sporting braid rod about 8' to go with your new very expensive reel. You'll never look back. 12-20 perfec for the big crash diving pollack, photo's to prove it. Power to weight is amazing, trust me. :)

I've been looking at a few such as the Grey's Longboat, Daiwa Kenzaki, Ugly stiks (loads of them....what's the difference?), Suverans etc. I'm on a bit of a fact finding mission at the moment and looking for input from experienced anglers...... What rods do you use?

As you may have realised when I bought the Avet I don't mind spending a bit more to get something that wil suit me better. Obviously with rods this is more difficult to figure out on the internet than with reels which can be chosen based on gearing, line capacity drag strength etc. Rods are a different kettle of fish and best tried in the field (as it were).

A plan was to select a shortlist and ask the nearest respectable sea tackle dealer to get those rods in and take a trip with the reel to try them for size etc.

As for braid v mono......another kettle of fish :)

Regarding braid/mono, been using braid for years now, lots of manufactures on the market and there will be loads of comments regarding different preferences etc. Would i go back to mono, dunno if i can find a specific use for it i would consider. Only got about 15 reels and 14 have braid on em. B) Best one i found was practicly the first that came out and that was dyneema, soft, with no horrible coating on it. Even so braids have improved with even thinner dimension if required.

Rods, very much a personal choice i suppose. It was only this year i went to the light weight braid rods, care of my Mate Mike Concannon down devon and they are supurb to use. Got a matching pair 12-20 +20-30 shakespear actually, to look at them you would not know which one was which unless you look at the writing on them. However, one is tip action and the other is through. Both, my opinion btw are great for what they are designed for. The 20-30 has so much power, i would like to try a rather large conger with it. :) My mate uses the longboat one, but he don't pull up as many as me. :whistling: I'll ask him for some details of the rod if you like.

Before i got those, i used glass tipped ones, again i was very happy with them, penn 12-20 powerstick for example was a fab one, for the big pollack, still got it but i would find it strange if i had to go back to them i suppose.

Good luck with your quest. :)

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Regarding braid/mono, been using braid for years now, lots of manufactures on the market and there will be loads of comments regarding different preferences etc. Would i go back to mono, dunno if i can find a specific use for it i would consider. Only got about 15 reels and 14 have braid on em. B) Best one i found was practicly the first that came out and that was dyneema, soft, with no horrible coating on it. Even so braids have improved with even thinner dimension if required.

Rods, very much a personal choice i suppose. It was only this year i went to the light weight braid rods, care of my Mate Mike Concannon down devon and they are supurb to use. Got a matching pair 12-20 +20-30 shakespear actually, to look at them you would not know which one was which unless you look at the writing on them. However, one is tip action and the other is through. Both, my opinion btw are great for what they are designed for. The 20-30 has so much power, i would like to try a rather large conger with it. :) My mate uses the longboat one, but he don't pull up as many as me. :whistling: I'll ask him for some details of the rod if you like.

Before i got those, i used glass tipped ones, again i was very happy with them, penn 12-20 powerstick for example was a fab one, for the big pollack, still got it but i would find it strange if i had to go back to them i suppose.

Cheers Barry.

Are your Shakespeare rods the Salt range?

The 12-20 Longboat appealed to me but the only consideration was the adjustable reel seat. I can find no details as to how it is constructed, how it locks to the rod and how rigid (or not) it is when fighting a fish! A photo or description would be gratefully received :rolleyes:

Back to braid, I can see the attraction of using braid at depth because of the reduced drag on the smaller diameter line. In shallower water however (lots of good tope marks in Cardigan bay in less than 25' of water) I'm struggling to find such an advantage especially if you require a 30' shock leader of mono.

Oh well, more homework :D

Nick

Edited by Worms

Cheers Barry.

Are your Shakespeare rods the Salt range?

The 12-20 Longboat appealed to me but the only consideration was the adjustable reel seat. I can find no details as to how it is constructed, how it locks to the rod and how rigid (or not) it is when fighting a fish! A photo or description would be gratefully received :rolleyes:

Back to braid, I can see the attraction of using braid at depth because of the reduced drag on the smaller diameter line. In shallower water however (lots of good tope marks in Cardigan bay in less than 25' of water) I'm struggling to find such an advantage especially if you require a 30' shock leader of mono.

Oh well, more homework :D

Nick

Salt range, yes they are. i luv em. Looks like you have found a single use for mono then. :)

:D The Sporting braids are great, I've got the same as Mike, the 12/20 & 20/30. 8ft long I think and a great action, now discontinued but at £60 each at Paiges on Hayling Island, while stocks last. :D