Ugly stik 1480/015

Worms

I still use two of them for all my boat fishing! I spent my first ever weeks wages on one in 1979, when I was just 16. They were the new thing back then. I've used almost every other type and make of boat rod since then, but I still haven't found anything I like using more than my old 15lb class Ugly Stik. I've re-rung it a few times, but I'll never get rid of it. In fact, I was lucky enough to find another old original about 8 years ago. I snapped it up and whipped on some new Fuji's, so I've got a matching pair to use now. I get some odd looks from people on charter boats, etc, because they look so old and dated, (especially with my two old Abu 7000's on them which date from 1973 and 1978!), but they are still great rods.

Just as a point of interest, my first Ugly Stik cost me £35 brand new from Ron Edwards tackle shop in Herne Bay, and the second hand one I found 22 years later cost me £50!

:D I bought one in the early 90's and had that heavy handle and chrome reel seat taken off and a Fuji graphite fitting put on in its place with a carbon handle, the Shakespeare rep saw it in the shop and they made them all like it. Which one do you have? :D

Edited by Norm B

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D The Sporting braids are great, I've got the same as Mike, the 12/20 & 20/30. 8ft long I think and a great action, now discontinued but at £60 each at Paiges on Hayling Island, while stocks last. :D

No Mike don't own them any more. I have them. He's remade a nice 20lb class rod this year, i might just nick that one off him as well. :) What rings you got on yours Norm? As Mike has re-rung those that are now mine. :D Just think if we was on a boat together with our gear people would think we are twins. Na........... perhaps not. :P

Those ones on hayling Island are an absoulute bargain Worms, fill yer boots. Honest. :)

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Pity the modern Ugly Stick is not a patch on its former self . . . ?

Greys Longboat:

1LongboatbuttreelseatIMG_4390.jpg1LongboatbuttIMG_4391.jpg

Here you go mate, I own a pair of 15-20's, they were the replacement for a pair of Abu Ambassadors which I loved, no longer available. The reel seat is neat, as you wind the grip nut onto the reel foot it clamps via pressure on the tongue, making a good tight fit, the butt material is a hard rubber, seat to butt fit is excellent, almost to good, keep the but clean! I think they do a couple of lighter blanks these day, down to 5 or 10lbs???

As for the 15-20lb, great fishing rod, originally priced at £130 . . . it seems to lack that last bit of back bone?? The butt is 30" long giving great scope for reel position, I have seen them at £79 . . . at that price a good general purpose rod. Personally I would like to get my hands on one of the very light weight versions . . . have a few ideas that the 'sliding reel seat/long butt' will be ideal for!

However, until that day comes, my money is with my 12lb Abu Suverans, they have the tip, sensitivity and feel of a much lighter rod, but apply pressure and you can feel the blank tighten as power is transferred . . . according to the weight and fight of the fish at the other end!!! Its is the only blank I know of, that is capable of this passive metamorphosising, it is the most satisfying experience, regardless of fish size that I have ever experienced playing and landing.

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

No Mike don't own them any more. I have them. He's remade a nice 20lb class rod this year, i might just nick that one off him as well. :) What rings you got on yours Norm? As Mike has re-rung those that are now mine. :D Just think if we was on a boat together with our gear people would think we are twins. Na........... perhaps not. :P

Those ones on hayling Island are an absoulute bargain Worms, fill yer boots. Honest. :)

:D Great minds think alike. I like good gear and those braid rods are the DB's. My 15lber has the chrome rings. If I used it for braid I'd probably change them though but it's not been used for years since the "new" braid rods came on the market. Compared to the Sporting Braid rods it has a "soggy" feel. :lol:

Pity the modern Ugly Stick is not a patch on its former self . . . ?

Greys Longboat:

Here you go mate

Thanks a lot, now I understand. I appreciate that.

I've been contemplating those Suverans as well, it's nice to know your views. A mate has the 20lb Longboat with the fixed reel seat which he loves I just fancied something a touch lighter. Where have you seen them for £79?

What with Barry's Salt jobbies I can see a shed full of lightweight rods coming on :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Thanks a lot, now I understand. I appreciate that.

I've been contemplating those Suverans as well, it's nice to know your views. A mate has the 20lb Longboat with the fixed reel seat which he loves I just fancied something a touch lighter. Where have you seen them for £79?

What with Barry's Salt jobbies I can see a shed full of lightweight rods coming on :D

I bought mine at that price for the pair, a few years back, they then went up . . . but I have seen them in the past 12 months around that price, but to remember where, took little notice, I'm not in the market ? ? ? :huh:

You will need to look on the net and at the mag adverts?

SW

Thanks for the confirmation, I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them, pretty rare for a piece of fishing tackle!

Am I right in thinking that there was a change in the blanks at some time during their production, even though they kept the same number (1480/015)? I seem to recall reading that somewhere but I can't find that info now!

They are still available (but a bit more expensive than yours) and I was wondering whether the (alleged) blank change was a retrograde step?

I'm after an 8' ish 15lb ish rod for use with mono for general summer fishing off the Welsh coast with a budget of up to £100 (obviously £50 for an ideal rod would be better :P ).

Cheers, Nick

Yes, they tried to reproduce the old originals with a different blank. They even kept the same number, like you say, but the new ones were crap. I bought one and only used it once. Probably one of the worst rods I've ever used. Far too soft and lifeless with an awful action. The originals have a perfect through action, which is what I like, and can be both the most sensitive rod you can use - and the most powerful. They've never been able to reproduce that.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

:D I bought one in the early 90's and had that heavy handle and chrome reel seat taken off and a Fuji graphite fitting put on in its place with a carbon handle, the Shakespeare rep saw it in the shop and they made them all like it. Which one do you have? :D

Yep, both of mine still have the old wooden handles and chrome reel seats. I've made my mind up to get them replaced with nice new carbon ones when the old fittings finally give up the ghost. But they are still going strong and I reckon it could be another 30 or so years before I have to have them done!

As it happens, the lightweight butts and Fuji reel seats were the best bit of the new 15lb Ugly Stiks!

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.