Ugly stik 1480/015

Worms

Oh, and I used braid once and didn't like it!

Thats what my mates down devon said to me once. Now they don't really have a use for mono as most of their fishing is in 50m plus of water, fishing all states of tide. I'ts also rather nice to use lightweight braid rods, half the size lead weights than what was used previous.

I still see guys using mono on the drift in decent tide for the cod and pollok, while our lines are straight up and down, with mono they are too far away from the boat, with an increased chance of hooking metal as opposed to a fish. Unless they use something like a pound and a half. Would i go back to mono, only if needs must.

Just rememberd the good old days, pirking with a pound and a half minimum, christmas tree rigs, arms twice as thick as your legs, broomstick rods, mono, gave that up when i became older and wiser, thank goodness. :)

I have one tiny reel loaded with eight pound mono, sometimes in the summer i may use that drifting over the wrecks, bouncing a one or two once drilled bullet, great fun that is for the bass.

We've had guys come fishing with us and found that even with a couple of pound of lead in a good tide, at anchor of course, they couldn't hold bottom while the rest of us where using braid with upto two pound, they started to catch when we lent them some reels.

We do a spot off portland where we can only fish it a few times of the year due to the depth and tide. Fab fishing, but if you haven't got braid loaded. you just as well sit back, have a few cups of tea and watch, wait for the slack, to hold, thats when the fish go off the feed, unless you can manage something like five or six pound of lead.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new ugly stick rods are'nt bad value for the money and they're pretty effective tools now that they've undergone a couple of revamps since their relaunch. As already stated they're a newer version of the old name but not the same blank or action as the original

When they relaunched the stick many thought they'd get one but the rod soon dissapointed, a few remodells followed and we now have the new stick, good but not as good as the original

Light braid rods are great, I use a 20/30lb class solid carbon rod , its the Fladen Maximmus but I think its a tad overrated its more like a 15/20 with plenty of power in the mddle and lower down with a nice supple tip action and its great for crash diving pollack and it handles cod pretty well too. I use 22lb mono with this set up in water up to 25 fathom and its fine without having to use a lot of lead. My lad uses a 7ft 6in Leeda Northstar and for a carbon composite rod I think its got one of the best actions I've seen in a rod of its class or price range, for 40 quid its got the lot, plenty of length for working shads and artificials a nice soft flexible tip that shows even the smallest of fish and bags of power in the blank when you lean into a decent fish, braid freindly stand off eyes finish it off and its rated at 20/30. He uses 30lb powerpro with a 6501 and catchs a lot of fish on it

Lighter longer rods are great fun and make you work the fish instead of winching, a mate of mine comes out with us and he has a 8lb class Shakespeare salt (I think) and he has no problems getting fish off the bottom

If you get a chance to have a look at the solid carbon Maximmus give it a go you may be impressed and want one but I think they've stopped making them now so they're getting a bit rare in the tackle shops

If you get a chance to have a look at the solid carbon Maximmus give it a go you may be impressed and want one but I think they've stopped making them now so they're getting a bit rare in the tackle shops

You're right. Elton brought one onto my boat once and, straight away, I wanted it! I know he was getting hold of them once upon a time, but he hasn't been able to get me one.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

You're right. Elton brought one onto my boat once and, straight away, I wanted it! I know he was getting hold of them once upon a time, but he hasn't been able to get me one.

They have a few Solid Cs on Tacklebargains' website.

I'm getting a bit confused about the line class thingy now with braid. I've seen a few rods with mixed line classes. One example is the 8' Ugly Stik 12-20lb braid rod, suitable for mono lines up to 25lb and braid up to 30lb

That to me makes it a 25lb mono rod or a 30lb braid rod?

I realise that the required actions of mono and braid rods are different but why would a 12-20lb braid rod be suitable for using 30lb braid? Surely 12-20lb braid would be ideal?

What does your Salt Sporting braid rod say regarding line strengths Barry?

Any comments on the Shimano Speedmaster rods?

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I'm getting a bit confused about the line class thingy now with braid. I've seen a few rods with mixed line classes. One example is the 8' Ugly Stik 12-20lb braid rod, suitable for mono lines up to 25lb and braid up to 30lb

I realise that the required actions of mono and braid rods are different but why would a 12-20lb braid rod be suitable for using 30lb braid? Surely 12-20lb braid would be ideal?

I suppose because they are braid rods they just show the line class. One is 12-20 the other is 20-30 Saying that i would not use braid under 20 for the lightest one on a charter boat. Get tangled with anyone and it's a cut job. Saying that i don't have a problem with 20 but wouldn't want to go any thinner.

The other one, 20-30 all i use is 30lb braid.

I suppose the ugly stick one is saying 30lb braid based on the diameter. From my point of view i use what i think is appropriate for the rod and feel happy with. Keep it simple.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Not particularly wanting to get into the Braid-Mono thing, I'm certainly finding that new modern style braid fishes better than the old floppy/soft type, and a little thicker is good for me as well, about 0.20mm suits me for general fishing. Coupled to the modern style 'braid rod blank'. A 30lb blank was fine with stretchy mono, the two actions together soften things out, braid on a 30lb class blank . . . bit stiff? no line give!!! So we come down to 12lb + braid still fishing for the same fish, braid transfers the fight straight to a light forgiving rod, thats how I perceive it.

I have been ante braid for years. Appreciating the pleasure of the lighter blank but using mono, being able to use 12lb mono happily on a boat with a 20/25lb leader. It seems to me, you can put mono onto a 'braid blank' but trying to fish braid on an old style (mono action?) blank, just does not work, hence the often heard comment "I tried braid and did not like it" . . . ?

This does not account for the lighter 15lb class rod users you say? Iwould sugest in braid terms 15lb is not light? . . . I think my favoured 12lb class Abu Suveran 7'9" boat rods, that replaced my 15lb'ish uptiders, has for me a perceived lighter action than its 12lb rating, I am looking at even lighter blanks to use with braid, I've been using bait casters over the summer to good effect, both in ability and pure fun! Conoflex do a cracking 6lb blank in their Trilogy range, the problem I find is its butt thickness, like handling a 'butch beach caster', just feels wrong some how, super light tip, thick ponderous old style butt?

Its down the the manufacturers to to get the feel right, hanging on to old ideas??? Abu have still some way to go on the butt feel as well!

So I will happily use mono or modern braid all on braid style blanks, for the shallow Southern East coast waters I fish they are great. On going . . . B)

SW

I'm learning!

Any thoughts on the MT1 15lb offshore rod anyone? It seems to have some favourable reviews (I only just found it!) and is nice and slim to fit my little reel :)

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I'm learning!

Any thoughts on the MT1 15lb offshore rod anyone? It seems to have some favourable reviews (I only just found it!) and is nice and slim to fit my little reel :)

:D It's a great rod, the only thing I found was my big hands and the slim fore grip didn't go too well together. After pumping double figure pollock and ling up from 300ft I felt my hands had siezed up where I'd gripped the rod so hard, it didn't do that on "normal" thickness fore grips. I'll have a thicker fore grip put on when it's due a re-fit.:D

:huh: I have one of these Maxximus 10-20lb, they were being offered cheap as seconds. Thought it a bit floppy at the time, never even got as far as the boat! Relegated to the back of the shed, they were being less than universally well received at the time if I remember, " . . . wet spaghetti action, poor rings corroding quickly . . . " :(

Dug it out of the 'sad rod heap' this evening. Mmm, a light through action for sure, but with my new thinking, as a braid equipped rod it might just be a bit of fun? I wonder, as mine is a couple of years old now, does the blank material mature with age, cos' I cant believe I could be that wrong about a blanks action :o or, is it a rod befor its time? Braid and 3 or 4oz of lead should be OK?

How things can change. :rolleyes:

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

:D It's a great rod, the only thing I found was my big hands and the slim fore grip didn't go too well together. After pumping double figure pollock and ling up from 300ft I felt my hands had siezed up where I'd gripped the rod so hard, it didn't do that on "normal" thickness fore grips. I'll have a thicker fore grip put on when it's due a re-fit.:D

My cunning plan was to use it specifically as a shallower water rod for my tope exploits! The choice is narrowing now with the MTI and the Longboat a nose ahead. I may get a chance to try out a 20lb Longboat tomorrow (The skipper he say yeees!). Barry's 12-20 Salt is still in the running though :)