Scales

Anderoo

I've had it with my scales - they're Rapala digital ones and I've had 'issues' with them since buying them. I won't go into boring details, but they're not trustworthy. I thought I had a pb tench earlier in the week but it was the scales playing up, and checked against a set of Fox digitals they were weighing 9oz light (with a brand new battery). Interestingly, an old battered set of Shakespeare dial scales which cost about a fiver and have been rattling around by tackle bags for umpteen years, were accurate. But these only have 8oz divisions, so are no good for really accurate weights of 'smaller' fish.

So, I need a set of solid, trustworthy dial scales to 30-40lb with 1oz divisions. I like the old Avons but I'm having problems finding them for sale (admittedly after only a quick web search). Anyone know where I can get some? Are they as good as their reputation?

What about the 'Weighmasters'?

Please don't recommend any digis - you'll be wasting your breath!

Ta :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've had it with my scales - they're Rapala digital ones and I've had 'issues' with them since buying them. I won't go into boring details, but they're not trustworthy. I thought I had a pb tench earlier in the week but it was the scales playing up, and checked against a set of Fox digitals they were weighing 9oz light (with a brand new battery). Interestingly, an old battered set of Shakespeare dial scales which cost about a fiver and have been rattling around by tackle bags for umpteen years, were accurate. But these only have 8oz divisions, so are no good for really accurate weights of 'smaller' fish.

So, I need a set of solid, trustworthy dial scales to 30-40lb with 1oz divisions. I like the old Avons but I'm having problems finding them for sale (admittedly after only a quick web search). Anyone know where I can get some? Are they as good as their reputation?

What about the 'Weighmasters'?

Please don't recommend any digis - you'll be wasting your breath!

Ta :)

If you put MK7 into your search you'll find them, I can't find them cheap though!

Rich

I have a set of the cheap Reuben Heaton Flyweight Mk.2 scales 40lb/1oz (I think these can be found under various names, but Reuben Heaton make them I believe).

My first set had to be returned because I couldn't get anywhere near a consistent zero reading. My replacement set was fine...until I dropped them from my trouser thigh pocket whilst seated onto wooden staging (grrrr :wallbash: )! Luckily they are DIY repair friendly, and all that had happened was a plastic push-fit bush on the indicator needle shaft/gear had become dislodged.

I find the zeroing wheel a little too loose for my liking, so after arriving at a good zero compromise (they can vary by an ounce or so) I taped over the wheel. The body and window plastic is a little cheap in feel, and will scratch very easily. I keep meaning to buy ten bags of sugar to test their accuracy, but they seemed OK weighing my PB 3lb 15oz dace. ;)

Edited by Angly

Geoff

If you put MK7 into your search you'll find them, I can't find them cheap though!

But if they're as good as the Avons I bought in 1977 for £12 (and still use), they're worth every penny of the £44.99 for the peace of mind! :)

I have a set of the cheap Reuben Heaton Flyweight Mk.2 scales 40lb/1oz (I think these can be found under various names, but Reuben Heaton make them I believe).

My first set had to be returned because I couldn't get anywhere near a consistent zero reading. My replacement set was fine...until I dropped them from my trouser thigh pocket whilst seated onto wooden staging (grrrr :wallbash: )! Luckily they are DIY repair friendly, and all that had happened was a plastic push-fit bush on the indicator needle shaft/gear had become dislodged.

I find the zeroing wheel a little too loose for my liking, so after arriving at a good zero compromise (they can vary by an ounce or so) I taped over the wheel. The body and window plastic is a little cheap in feel, and will scratch very easily. I keep meaning to buy ten bags of sugar to test their accuracy, but they seemed OK weighing my PB 3lb 15oz dace. ;)

Interesting, I was wondering about those ones but your experience sounds like exactly the thing I don't need. All I want is a good pair of scales that can take a bit of abuse and are accurate.

PS I had a dace of 2lb 1oz on my Rapalas... :rolleyes:

EDIT: in the 1st post it should read 'Waymasters' - the flyweight ones. Any good? EDIT AGAIN :rolleyes: : I just realised these are the same ones Angly posted about, sorry. They seem to come under many names but are the same bit of kit.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Ive used Avons (first 32lb then 40) since the early 80's not had any problems with them and get them checked by W&M every three years and by weighing Gym weights every year or after any special catch. Before these I used a set of Salter spring balance (tube type).Never been really into the really small species so theyve always been acurate enough (2ozs divisions) for me.Got a set of Salter 300lb dial scales for big fish but prior to these used a set of Nash 110lb (?) dial scales.

I agree that digital scales are a waste of time.Batteries go flat,hard to read at times,and their acuracy varies.This variation of accuracey is the real problem as if your using traditional scales and find they are out upon checking after a good fish you can adjust the weight given at the time by the difference. Cant do this with digis as the amount and direction of error can vary on each weighing and over a short period of time.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Interesting, I was wondering about those ones but your experience sounds like exactly the thing I don't need. All I want is a good pair of scales that can take a bit of abuse and are accurate.

I reckon dropping onto a hard surface from about 24" won't do any scales much good, so perhaps that's nothing to worry about? The positive side is that they were very easy to fix. Having taken them apart I can say they are very basic, not much to go wrong. Of the reviews on FishingMagic (Waymaster), mine is the most critical.

It may be nothing to go by (advertising/promos etc.), but watching some recent fishing TV shows I've seen both John Wilson and Matt Hayes using the same scales.

Geoff

Hi Anderoo,

Based on what you have said, you will not have much choice other than the Waymasters=32lbsx1ozs or the Avon=40lbsx1ozs, i have a set of each and they are very reliable.

See e-bay, of course via the AN link there are three or four bargains for these scales on there at the moment.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

I use a set of Reuben Heaton Flyweight Mk2's. 40lbs in 1 oz increments, quite compact, and seem to take the knocks well. They're also quite cheap and you can usually get a set for under £25 delivered.

I've had mine tested once (after a pb pike) and they were spot on.

Paul.

Oh and an Ebay linky to someone selling them. (Feel free to change it to an AN friendly link ;))

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Reuben Flyweights get my recommendation.

In response to Angly, I can't see how your zeroing woes would be improved by taping over the adjuster wheel. The scales have to be zeroed every time they are used, due to temperature variations affecting the spring. Within 15 minutes of coming out of my bag, on a cold winters day, they may be anything up to a pound away form zero.

This may sound tedious, but with accurate zeroing, every time they are used (no more than a few seconds), you will discover the exact weight of your catch, instead of an approximation. :)

PS. It's this requirement for manual zeroing, every time they are used, that keeps me well clear of digitals.

Edited by Sharkbyte