Scales

Anderoo

Oh and an Ebay linky to someone selling them. (Feel free to change it to an AN friendly link ;))

I would, if I could get your link to work :D

Was it these ones that you were linking to?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

In response to Angly, I can't see how your zeroing woes would be improved by taping over the adjuster wheel. The scales have to be zeroed every time they are used, due to temperature variations affecting the spring. Within 15 minutes of coming out of my bag, on a cold winters day, they may be anything up to a pound away form zero.

I haven't found that to be the case yet. I allow a + or – zero tolerance of 1oz, and my zero hasn't altered from that (I can't get consistent and repeatable zeros any more accurate than that). But then I've not had any large temperature fluctuations to contend with yet. When the zero does finally creep, I'll just pull back the zero residue tape and make the tiny adjustment required. Without the tape I found not only would large adjustments occur any time the scales were put down, but even by just USING the scales the wheel would move a small amount. :wallbash::rolleyes:

Geoff

Thanks eveyone.

I think some Avons are in order :)

If you have any difficulty locating some, my local tackle shop usually has a set in stock so I could pick you a set up if you needed me to.

Will

Edited by Will Wilkinson

Castaway Tackle have the MK7's on their site. I have a set and they are brilliant.

Have a look here

Regards

James

Yes, that's where I ordered them from :) Cheers James.

It'll be such a relief to be able to trust my scales, and not worry about batteries and whether the damn things have zero'd or not. Also, I'll be able to get accurate weights of small fish like dace and roach.

Imagine catching a Wingham bream (yeah, I know, some hope!) and not knowing what it weighed... :huh:

As it is I reckon some of my tench weights have been out by a fair bit. Ah well.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I too have lost confidence in my Rapala digitals. However, to be fair I'm going to conduct some tests on them and some Avons shortly. This will include repeated weighings of the same items to test variability.

Talking of Avons I reckon they're an excellent choice. The only downside is that the corners are sharp - as a torn jacket pocket will testify. The answer of course is to put them in the case that's available as an accessory.

The other inexpensive scales I've used are Waymasters. These are now made by Reuben Heaton who replaced the tooling, and so they should last longer than the originals. In my experience these are lighter but not as robust as the Avons.

Reuben Heaton also make the excellent Specimen Scales that are the best I've ever used, although bigger, heavier and much more expensive.

I'm also hoping to field test some new digitals from Berkley that are supposed to be accurate to a tenth of a per cent.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I've just had an email saying that they're out of stock of the Avons, and I can't find anywhere else that sells them. I was hoping to have them in time for my next tench session, so this is quite annoying.

If anyone knows where I can get a set - a well-cared for 2nd hand set would do - please let me know.

Ta!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music