Scales

Anderoo

I've just had an email saying that they're out of stock of the Avons, and I can't find anywhere else that sells them. I was hoping to have them in time for my next tench session, so this is quite annoying.

If anyone knows where I can get a set - a well-cared for 2nd hand set would do - please let me know.

Ta!

I have a horrible feeling they are no longer made, if this is the company that makes them they only seem to do digital!

Places that claim to have them:

here

here

You could phone around all the local tackel shops?

If that fails I know a pair you can have for £150 :P

Rich

There are a few on e-bay at the moment

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...tle=avon+scales

Thanks Tinca!

Do you reckon it's a good idea to get 2nd hand scales from ebay? I'm very tempted, but I don't want to end up with a dud that's never been looked after properly...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks Tinca!

Do you reckon it's a good idea to get 2nd hand scales from ebay? I'm very tempted, but I don't want to end up with a dud that's never been looked after properly...

Anderoo, there is not a lot to go wrong with the Avons. Ive had mine for many years and during that time they have been knocked about at times. Fortunately I have a friend who was a senior British Standards inspector so re calibration is not a problem.They are very robust and reliable and there is no reason that you will not get a good set off e-bay. For peace of mind you can always contact the seller and ask the relevant questions then you have written proof if anything is amiss. I buy a great deal from e-bay as I am am a bit of a tackle collector and to be honest in 5 years I have only had one occassion where there has been a problem. I also have a set of weighmasters which although light weight are not in the same league as the Avons. Trust this helps.

Anderoo, there is not a lot to go wrong with the Avons. Ive had mine for many years and during that time they have been knocked about at times. Fortunately I have a friend who was a senior British Standards inspector so re calibration is not a problem.They are very robust and reliable and there is no reason that you will not get a good set off e-bay. For peace of mind you can always contact the seller and ask the relevant questions then you have written proof if anything is amiss. I buy a great deal from e-bay as I am am a bit of a tackle collector and to be honest in 5 years I have only had one occassion where there has been a problem. I also have a set of weighmasters which although light weight are not in the same league as the Avons. Trust this helps.

It certainly does, thanks very much :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks Tinca!

Andy,

i got my Avon's of e-bay about two years ago and they have been perfect, just make sure you look the look of the photo and buy from someone with good feedback. Good luck.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Andy,

i got my Avon's of e-bay about two years ago and they have been perfect, just make sure you look the look of the photo and buy from someone with good feedback. Good luck.

Thanks Richard - that's what I've done, hopefully I'll get them before my next trip. It looks like it's a good time to get a decent 2nd hand pair, as everyone makes the switch to digital... :)

Thanks Richard - that's what I've done, hopefully I'll get them before my next trip. It looks like it's a good time to get a decent 2nd hand pair, as everyone makes the switch to digital... :)

And when they switch back your Avon's will be worth twice as much. :sun:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Following on from my earlier comments I've done some testing of my Rapala digitals and found something interesting.

I had thought that the weight they recorded varied each time I weighed the same object. I just may have found the reason why.

With mechanical scales the dial bounces around and you often have to take an average figure.

With my digitals there's no bouncing around. Or at least there doesn't appear to be.

However I left the weight hanging for a few more seconds (no more though than I would have to have done to get an average reading on mechanical scales).

I got a different reading!

Initially this was worrying. However each time the final weight was exactly the same!

The obvious conclusion was that my Rapalas weren't showing the bouncing around that mechanical scales do. However it seems that they do take it into account, and after the same period of time as mechanical scales come up with an identical reading each time. Of course this may have been in the instructions, but I've long since thrown them away.

I therefore have renewed confidence in my Rapala digitals!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I had 3 sets of Waymasters in as many years, changed to Avons and had them for 5/6 years now no probs at all. I would recomend them to anyone, even you :D

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!