Scales

Anderoo

I used to own a set of Avons which where brilliant until last years flood got to them. A few weeks under water didn't do them much good :(

I now own some fox digitals which are be spot on however they do require a steady hand for the bigger fish. Like Steve has found. They will go up and down for a moment then find its true weight. I always carry extra batteries with me so that isn't a worry for me.

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Following on from my earlier comments I've done some testing of my Rapala digitals and found something interesting.

I had thought that the weight they recorded varied each time I weighed the same object. I just may have found the reason why.

With mechanical scales the dial bounces around and you often have to take an average figure.

With my digitals there's no bouncing around. Or at least there doesn't appear to be.

However I left the weight hanging for a few more seconds (no more though than I would have to have done to get an average reading on mechanical scales).

I got a different reading!

Initially this was worrying. However each time the final weight was exactly the same!

The obvious conclusion was that my Rapalas weren't showing the bouncing around that mechanical scales do. However it seems that they do take it into account, and after the same period of time as mechanical scales come up with an identical reading each time. Of course this may have been in the instructions, but I've long since thrown them away.

I therefore have renewed confidence in my Rapala digitals!

Hmm, that may explain some of my problems. I noticed that they'd change their mind a fair bit before settling on a weight, and then just when I thought they'd finished, they'd change again.

Steve, did you notice if it made any difference how and where you held them?

The trouble with weighing fish on them is that fish hardly ever stay completely still, so may never settle on a true 'final' weight.

Having said that I'll do some testing with my Rapalas against my shakespeare dial scales at the weekend, assuming I catch something!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hmm, that may explain some of my problems. I noticed that they'd change their mind a fair bit before settling on a weight, and then just when I thought they'd finished, they'd change again.

Steve, did you notice if it made any difference how and where you held them?

Wow, I've just tried that and there was a huge difference! Each time here was a big reduction in weight.

I repeated this on a set of Avons. Because the handle is hinged there wasn't a problem. Most scales I've used don't have this feature.

The answer may be a weigh bar (that I have but rarely use), a crook, or even a tripod if I'm driving to a swim.

BTW, I also tried the Rapalas with a low battery. They didn't work at all, although the same battery was fine on one of my bite alarms. The Rapalas have a battery meter, so maybe here's an automatic cutout when the battery gets low enough to affect the readings.

Finally, I didn't find that my Rapalas would jig around. They'd almost immediately settled on a weight, and then after a few seconds would show a revised weight. The trouble has been that I've been in so much of a hurry to return the fish I haven't waited for the revised figure.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Doesn't the reading keep changing (in real time) until it settles Steve ? It does on the fox ones. Usually it will keep bouncing around a giving a difference of a few ounces. For example 11lb 08, 11lb 07, 11lb 09, 11lb, 07 (just like mechanical ones). I have only seen the pictures but the rapalas don't even have a zeroing feature ?

Maybe rapala should keep to making lures lol

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Doesn't the reading keep changing (in real time) until it settles Steve ? It does on the fox ones. Usually it will keep bouncing around a giving a difference of a few ounces. For example 11lb 08, 11lb 07, 11lb 09, 11lb, 07 (just like mechanical ones). I have only seen the pictures but the rapalas don't even have a zeroing feature ?

Maybe rapala should keep to making lures lol

In my tests at home my Rapalas show one or at most two weights then a pause of a few seconds before settling on their final weight. Of course on a fish that's bouncing around in a bag or sling it could well be different.

The Rapalas have a "tare" facility. You weigh your sling empty, push the button again and then weigh your fish in the sling. This means that the weight of the sling is automatically taken into account and deducted. This gives the weight of the fish alone. So a separate zeroing featue isn't needed.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Wow, I've just tried that and there was a huge difference! Each time here was a big reduction in weight.

I repeated this on a set of Avons. Because the handle is hinged there wasn't a problem. Most scales I've used don't have this feature.

The answer may be a weigh bar (that I have but rarely use), a crook, or even a tripod if I'm driving to a swim.

BTW, I also tried the Rapalas with a low battery. They didn't work at all, although the same battery was fine on one of my bite alarms. The Rapalas have a battery meter, so maybe here's an automatic cutout when the battery gets low enough to affect the readings.

Finally, I didn't find that my Rapalas would jig around. They'd almost immediately settled on a weight, and then after a few seconds would show a revised weight. The trouble has been that I've been in so much of a hurry to return the fish I haven't waited for the revised figure.

I suspected as much, I have had different weights depending on whether I held the handle at the top of grabbed the body half-way down. Another reason for me to go back to mechanical. Next time I catch a fish (tomorrow, hopefully :D ) I'll use a branch or something as a weigh bar, and check the weight against my Shakespeares.

Just to clarify Steve, was the reduction in weight when you held the body of the scales, not the handle?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I suspected as much, I have had different weights depending on whether I held the handle at the top of grabbed the body half-way down. Another reason for me to go back to mechanical. Next time I catch a fish (tomorrow, hopefully :D ) I'll use a branch or something as a weigh bar, and check the weight against my Shakespeares.

Just to clarify Steve, was the reduction in weight when you held the body of the scales, not the handle?

The reduction happened whether I held the body or the handle.

It also happened when I held the body of the Avons.

I can only conclude it's a problem not confined just to digitals, and so switching back to just any model of mechanical scales won't necessarily solve the problem.

What's needed it seems, whether you use mechanical or digital scales, is a hinged handle so that gravity always holds the scales vertically.

Certainly the Avons have this feature.

Does anyone know of any others (mechanical or digital) that do?

I've been doing a little more investigating.

It seems that the Reuben Heaton weigh bar I have will probably solve the problem as it should allow most models of scales to sit vertically. I say probably as I can't lay my hands on mine right now. However I'll test this on my Rapalas as soon as I can.

I've also phoned Avon and they say that they discontinued the Mk 7s about 18 months ago due to retooling costs on the plastic cover to the dial. Falling demand made this uneconomic.

However they have plenty of spares, and say that as long as the plastic cover is intact they can refurbish any secondhand set.

If you think about it logically then the scales should be free to hang in the vertical position. If for example you hold the scale body in both your hands then you could be holding the scales at an angle to the vertical in which case moments of force would apply which in turn would result in a light reading.

The best way to ensure that you get a correct reading is to use a weigh bar and hook. This ensures that the scales will always pivot to the vertical. This of course assumes that the scale body is equipped with a suitably placed mounting attachment. Most dedicated Carp Scales have this and of course so do the Avons. When Carp fishing, I use a long tripod with a hook to mount the scales on but if you happen to land a lump without this type of equipment then it can be a two person job. One to hold up the scales and the other to take the reading. Also of couse is the use of an appropriate weigh sling.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the use of a Hook or ring with a 3/8 BSF thread which can be screwed into your landing net handle or long bankstick. Very usefull if you are travelling light and makes weighing a lot easier.