DIY Float making materials

Dick Dastardly

good looking site, added to my favorites and sure I will use it. ( particularly like the description of fine float inserts " so sesitive a fish fart will register " ) :D

I bought some 3 foot lengths of Balsa Dowel from here, 1/4" = 49p, 3/8" = 92p.

I just cut a peace off the length i want and drill it with a little hand bait drill. Then I stick it on a deheaded nail in the cordless drill and shape it with sandpaper.

Works for me.

I won't tell you where the crow quills came from, but the sticks are B&Q skewers. Just a pound or two for a big pack.

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Pity that they don't do pre shaped cork float bodies. Does anyone?

Dunno, but if you find some, Peter, don't keep it a secret else my pike floats will look like some of these guys:

P&P

Thanks for the link Budgie, and nice floats there Lutra

Edited by Norfolk Rob

Ok ,wieghts&molds site offers a lot doesn't always deliver ,i dont deal with them ,but have herd the tales from reliable sourses of the bad service ,i get most of my supplies of e-bay for convieniance .

Float making materials check out the hungarian float bodies ,not brought any myself { i make my own now or buy from another maker if he has spares } might be worth trying)

Peter Waller

pre-shaped cork bodies ( they're quite small ,i re-model these to a more avon float shape)

Norfolk Rob

apart from getting champagne corks with the mushroom tops and shaping them yourself ,theres these rather nice ones

cork pike floats: too buy

CORK BODY 1.5"

CORK BODY 2"

i hope this helps

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

What about wine bottle corks, anyone tried them? The plastic ones might work too.

Their cylindrical shape would make it quite easy to turn them on a drill.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

i occationally do cork ,used too use bottle corks from a brewing shop ,but prefer balsa or styro foam as a medium

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve