DIY Float making materials

Dick Dastardly

I was looking at lutras floats there really good.i wouldnt mind having a go .what type of paints do you use.

Thanks Gary, I'm no expert. Id never made a float up to a year ago and I have big numb builders hands so its not hard.

Chavender put me on to Plasti-kote paint (59ml pots) and Ive been using that in B26-clear, B5-flat white and B27- orange glow. Its easy to get hold of, you should find some local or with a quick google.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Thanks Gary, I'm no expert. Id never made a float up to a year ago and I have big numb builders hands so its not hard.

Chavender put me on to Plasti-kote paint (59ml pots) and Ive been using that in B26-clear, B5-flat white and B27- orange glow. Its easy to get hold of, you should find some local or with a quick google.

Thanks i,ll give it a go.Give me something to do on dark winter nights.(Beats watching soaps with girlfriend ;) haha)

my advice would be too start with cane stemmed floats (cane BBQ skewers) find a drill too match dia (2.5mm or 3mm) have the cane run through the body . I used too start with square section balsa then cut too 3" lengths ,trim to float size (2 1/2" ,1 3/4" ,1 /2" ) and sand smooth , draw criss cross lines at the ends too find the centre's then drill from both ends for a strait throough central hole ,slide in the BB"Q skewer to roughly half way ,you'll need 1" for the tip and (tip length + body length) = stem length and and whatever is left is waste ,but leave a 1" or so this is for the drill .

glue the balsa in place (leave 24h too set fully) ,then trim off the corners and edges ,into a cylindrical shape ,place the front end of the skewer into the drill leaving just over a inch between drill and float body ,put a pile of books under the other end for suport ( i used too drill a hole in the side of a yellow pages book for the other end ,to prevent end whip) use wet & dry graphite paper too sand too shape starting with coarse then finishing with fine .

trim the skewer too correct length disregarding the waste bits damaged by the drill ,cover with pva glue (leave 1" to hold whilst it cures ,24h) then paint ,find some polystryne too stand the float in ,final varnish coat and the jobs a good un

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

A small tip for those who want to make their own float bodies using balsa dowel or any round material.

If you have a small engineering firm near you, or facilities to do it your self, get a block of steel, (about 1" thick x 6" x3" )

drill a pilot hole of about 2.5mm dia', all the way though the 3" width of the block. Counter bore halfway through with a drill to suit the dia' of your body material. You can drill a few to suit different dia's of body.

Then you can slot the body section into the appropriate side, and drill from the side with the small hole. You then have a centre drilled body, on which to work as chavender described.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John