New to fly fishing

MichaelF

Hi this is my first post!!!

I need some help, people talk about "stricking" but i thought you didnt leave the line in the water i thought you flicked it in and out and the fish took the hook when it was in the water?

Is there any good websites or videos on the web which can help me with the basics

Thanks

Michael :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Go to the local sport shops and ask where the fish were biting this weekend and what they were hitting. Also try the Fair this week and ask the sportsmen exhibit. Fly fishing is always harder than bait fishing or flashers. We have a lot of good fishig in the area, but I think we are between runs right now so you should have been there 2 weeks ago. or in another 2 weeks. There are a lot of other things to learn about fly fishing. Need to know how to read a stream, how to cast and drift without line drag. A guide would be a good investment to get you started and save you some do-it-yourself learning.

rod%20and%20fly%20box.JPG

flyfishing.jpg

Go to the local sport shops and ask where the fish were biting this weekend and what they were hitting. Also try the Fair this week and ask the sportsmen exhibit. Fly fishing is always harder than bait fishing or flashers. We have a lot of good fishig in the area, but I think we are between runs right now so you should have been there 2 weeks ago. or in another 2 weeks. There are a lot of other things to learn about fly fishing. Need to know how to read a stream, how to cast and drift without line drag. A guide would be a good investment to get you started and save you some do-it-yourself learning.

rod%20and%20fly%20box.JPG

flyfishing.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi Michael,

Striking,is wen u quickly whip your rod to the side after a fish takes your fly/lure/bait etc,this ensures the hook is firmly set in the fishes mouth.

I think you might have the wrong idea when it comes to your technique.

I had a look on youtube and found some "fly-fishing lesson" videos,heres the link http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...essons&aq=1

This should show you the basics,but as with every sort of fishing you'll pick up things as you go along

Hope this has been a bit of help!

Cheers,

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

I need some help, people talk about "stricking" but i thought you didnt leave the line in the water i thought you flicked it in and out and the fish took the hook when it was in the water?

Is there any good websites or videos on the web which can help me with the basics

Thanks

Hi Michael

There is a bit more to fly fishing than flick and hooking a fish. My advice is go to a fishery and ask fo help in casting. You will learn to read water and get used to hooking, playing and landing a fish. When you understand things a bit more then head to lake or river with someone who knows what they are doing. Fly fishing takes time to master but once there its a dream way to fish.

Choose a rod and reel that are not to heavy or costly and a floating line to start with. Cast no more than two flies to start with and use bought flies.

If you decide this the sport for you then you can invest in a better rod, reel and line and learn to tie your own flies.

Lots of anglers are willing to help and share their skills and knowledge.

Tight lines

Thanks

Hywel Morgan's three-set series will stand you in good stead when it comes to casting.... Stillwater Fly Fishing - Just For Starters; The Main Course; Just Desserts. I reviewed them for this site a while back and cannot recommend them enough :thumbs:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.