Local lakes or free river swims near Bengeo.

HerbalMonkey

Hi, I wondered if anyone knew of any fishing lakes or free stretches of river nearest to Bengeo? I go to Rib Valley - three lakes, but it is really difficult to get there as I don't drive. (don't mind paying for lakes but free ones preferably). I have a rod license and am bored of the stretch behind the tennis courts in hartham park (only free stretch of river I know).

I will have money for fishing in other areas eventually, I got a holiday coming up which has eaten all my money. :lol:

I looked on google maps and noticed some huge lakes in hertingfordbury but walked all the way there with a buggy only to realise it's private property and god knows how to find the owner of the land... doubt I could strike a deal with him anyway lol. Someone told me there was a fishing lake near me which is free and owned by the council, but can't seem to find it.

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Are millenium lakes nearby?

Maybe a visit to a local tackle shop could give you some info.

I will have a look on google maps for them... I will also ask a local tackle shop when I can get to ware ;)

Thanks.

(p.s.) any one else know of any, please let me know incase I have no luck. :)

haven't you got lots of the river Lea around hertford and ware? maybe look at a club that does coach outings if you don't drive.

Yeah, but clubs own all the stretches of river. I don't mind paying for lakes and stuff, but I think it's an outrage that a club can own such a huge stretch of river when they are based nowhere near it - it shouldn't be able to be owned, it should be for the public, lol.

Yeah, but clubs own all the stretches of river. I don't mind paying for lakes and stuff, but I think it's an outrage that a club can own such a huge stretch of river when they are based nowhere near it - it shouldn't be able to be owned, it should be for the public, lol.

They don't own it HM - people (often farmers) privately own the land running alongside the rivers and lease it to fishing clubs. If the clubs didn't pay for access, it wouldn't be free, it would be private.

The stretches of river that are free are usually a state anyway - rubbish, etc. Buying a club book is always your best option for fishing in this country. Most are dirt cheap and offer superb fishing.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi HM, other than Hartham there is not much free stuff around Hertford, although there is a small lake/pond near you in Chapmore End that my brother used to fish. I'm not sure if fishing is allowed any more, but you can always go and have a look.