Justification

gozzer

I've thought about posting this for some time now, and I know this will be controversial, and probably won't get many replies but here goes.

In the light of the recent proposals for a ban on the taking of coarse fish for the pot. How would you justify the catching of fish?

I don't mean "the guardians of the water" stance, or the "getting away from it all" and "being a part of nature", because these can be done without actually catching fish.

If you had to justify our obsession with catching fish, what would you say?

Over to you.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about posting this for some time now, and I know this will be controversial, and probably won't get many replies but here goes.

In the light of the recent proposals for a ban on the taking of coarse fish for the pot. How would you justify the catching of fish?

I don't mean "the guardians of the water" stance, or the "getting away from it all" and "being a part of nature", because these can be done without actually catching fish.

If you had to justify our obsession with catching fish, what would you say?

Over to you.

John.

The only justification would be, because I enjoy it - which I believe is known in legal circles as the 'colander defence' :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Originally fishing was for food, but hundreds of years ago, people started fishing for fun, desport, an activity taken part in a persons own time, away from work. Of which there was three main activities, hunting, horse riding and fishing, the word desport was shortened to sport, and the participents were considered game.

Fishing is a sport, has been a sport for hundreds of years, fishing for food even longer, we no longer need to "fish for the pot", but the activity is in the blood, we are hunters, it feels good to have a time where we either hunt, catch, track or see/photograph, even twitchers are taking in an activity similar to a hunt.

The only justification would be, because I enjoy it - which I believe is known in legal circles as the 'colander defence' :rolleyes:

I think it is some sort of primeval hunting instinct.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

When people ask why I bother if I just 'throw them back' I have the same defeatist reply:

I can neither explain it nor expect you to understand it.

There response is usually, 'its just cruel if you don't take them home'

Rich

Edited by Richard Capper

its the challenge ,the same reason why fools climb mountains ,or jump out of aeroplanes with nothing more than a sheet too save them or tie elastic bands too their feet and jump of things or swim the channel or go of in search of any kind of adventure

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

There is no justification, it's a purely selfish act, regardless of whether fish feel pain or not.

Tend to agree, never been a beliver in the concept that fish do not feel pain if hooked.

It's just me doing what I do because I gain pleasure from it, which is the reason most people do anything.

If I analysed it from a right or wrong perspective maybe I would not do it. But I don't and so I fish.

I do like Sportsman's "I think it is some sort of primeval hunting instinct" sounds about right.

It reminds me of the fable of the frog and the scopion.

Hellooo Mr. Frog!" called the scorpion across the water, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the river?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you wont try to kill me?" asked the frog hesitantly.

"Because," the scorpion replied, "If I try to kill you, then I would die too, for you see I cannot swim!"

Now this seemed to make sense to the frog. But he asked. "What about when I get close to the bank? You could still try to kill me and get back to the shore!"

"This is true," agreed the scorpion, "But then I wouldn't be able to get to the other side of the river!"

"Alright then...how do I know you wont just wait till we get to the other side and THEN kill me?" said the frog.

"Ahh...," crooned the scorpion, "Because you see, once you've taken me to the other side of this river, I will be so grateful for your help, that it would hardly be fair to reward you with death, now would it?!"

So the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. He swam over to the bank and settled himself near the mud to pick up his passenger. The scorpion crawled onto the frog's back, his sharp claws prickling into the frog's soft hide, and the frog slid into the river. The muddy water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown. He kicked strongly through the first half of the stream, his flippers paddling wildly against the current.

Halfway across the river, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back and, out of the corner of his eye, saw the scorpion remove his stinger from the frog's back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"You fool!" croaked the frog, "Now we shall both die! Why on earth did you do that?"

The scorpion shrugged, and did a little jig on the drownings frog's back.

"I could not help myself. It is my nature."

Then they both sank into the muddy waters of the swiftly flowing river.

WE FISH BECAUSE IT IS IN OUR NATURE.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I often get weighted questions asking me why I go fishing. I always reply in the same way; "Mind your own ****** business."

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I dont know! its a lot more than just the hunting/catching fish thing for me now.I love all the tackle both owning it and making it,I love the places it takesme to,I love the people (in general) that I meet through it.Ivealwaysdone it and cant envisage a time when I wont ever bedoing something conected to it.The only constant in my life.

So basicly I do it for my own selfish pleasure and cant justify it only try to defend it.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!