Justification

gozzer

So basicly I do it for my own selfish pleasure and cant justify it only try to defend it.

Ive never taken a coarse fish for the pot so i must have already justified it to myself and can only think it must be for my own selfish pleasure.

Who am i justifying it to?

The anti's? A bunch of thugs who's tactics boarder on terrorism and therefore shouldn't be given any say or time of day.

Joe public? Them people who keep fish in tanks in poor conditions to live stort strest lives, along with other birds and animals they keep in cages. Cats that they let out to kill and torcher wildlife............................................................

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the fox hounds come through where i was working the other day. I had a good view of it all from the top of my scaffolding which over looks the whole hill side. I never saw anyone dragging a bag of scent, but I'm sure there must have been one.

Maybe if coarse fishing ever did get band we would just have to make sure there is one trout in every water.

Isn,t it strange that most mammals use sex for reproductive reasons only but the same mammal that uses fishing for pleasure also uses sex for the same.

At least that is what my long distance memory tells me. :D:D

John

Good question.

I enjoy it for all of the reasons that you've disallowed. I enjoy other pastimes for the same reasons but fishing is the only one of my 'hobbies' that subjects another living creature to stress. The only justification I can think of is that we think that safely returned fish are none the worse for capture and carry on living as if it hadn't happened, but reading that back it does look pretty feeble.

Oh b*gger, I think I'll forget tomorrow and pop over to the For Sale section.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

There is no justification, it's a purely selfish act, regardless of whether fish feel pain or not.

Oh so the fact I clean up other people's crap, pick up line, tidy rivers and waterways, join clubs, sign petitions, educate novice anglers...blah de blah....is a selfish act is it?

I only go fishing because I like to catch fish regardless of whether fish feel pain or not?

That is the single biggest misrepresentation of anglers I've heard in years. In fact PETA couldn't have put it any better.

If you think we only go fishing because we're selfish, you're even more cracked than you normally come across.

I have niggling feeling all the same that your comment was purely provocative for your own personal sense of amusement and nothing else.

...andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I answered Jeepster because he came first (Sorry but you did).

I cannot believe so many 'educated' anglers actually subscribe to this crap.

We go fishing for purely selfish reasons?? Am I hearing this??

Who the hell pays for out waterways to be kept maintained?

Who the hell pays their permits every year to keep their waters stocked and free from the hands of land developers who'd much rather build a car-park for instance?

Who the hell pays for the very fish that are stocked into our waterways every year to maintain stocks?

I could go on but I think you lot have a hell of lot more thinking to do before you sit back without going this more than 2 seconds thought and come out with some droll like,

"I do it for selfish reasons!"

It's ****s and I'm ashamed to hear so many anglers spout such rot.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

Your community service picking up other peoples rubbish is nothing to do with your, my, or anyones elses enjoyment of fishing, it's good you do it, bad you have to do it, but kudos to you for getting off your arse to do it, though it's totally irrelevant to this thread.

My point was, the actual act of fishing is selfish, it benefits no one but the angler, it certainly doesn't benefit the only other participant, the fish.

Sorry Andy but i go fishing for my own selfish reasons.

If i wasn't into fishing do you think I/we would give as much of a monkeys what the fish stocks are like? Do you think i would go on about litter on the banks more than blows around in other places?

Edited by lutra

And how do you go about paying for this Pursuit you call selfish angling?? Do you pay permits, pay licences or what? Where does this money of yours go?

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

...Izaac Walton...

...Vagabond...

And how do you go about paying for this Pursuit you call selfish angling?? Do you pay permits, pay licences or what? Where does this money of yours go?

How many anglers do you think would pay to go fishing if they didn't have to? About the same as joined the Angling trust maybe.