Calling all Anglers!

Anglers' Net

• 3 weeks later...
Fishing Tasmania Expert Visits Farlows Of Pall Mall - News Release

Click here to view the full article

I fly fished for brown trout in Tasmania a few years ago, and it was a great experience. Go for it by all means, but just be a bit cautious over who arranges it for you. Farlows are a hallowed institution, and I'm sure they would never host anything that doesn't cut the mustard. But I suspect they know how much to charge as well :rolleyes:

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

I will be fishing Tasmania in about a month's time. Have fished there many times, both for trout and seafish. We have relatives there we visit every other year.

I would say to anyone contemplating parting with a large sum of money and expecting to catch large numbers of huge trout - beware the hype!

When many of the big dams were first flooded, there were two factors going for the production of big trout - firstly the huge population of native galaxids (a fish about the circumference of a minnow but twice as long) and secondly the newly flooded vegetation producing an explosion of freshwater invertebrates. (Think about the production of Grafham in its early years)

Both these factors contributed to large numbers of big trout. That is what made Tasmanian trout fishing famous.

However, trout eat galaxids faster than galaxids can reproduce - these little fish have no defence against large predators. So that source of trout food has almost disappeared. Also, once the submerged vegetation had been consumed, there was no more, and the lakes reverted to the level of production one might expect from an oligotrophic lake.

Still excellent fishing, in beautiful surroundings, but as in other mature trout lakes around the world, you have to work for your fish !

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I will be fishing Tasmania in about a month's time. Have fished there many times, both for trout and seafish. We have relatives there we visit every other year.

I would say to anyone contemplating parting with a large sum of money and expecting to catch large numbers of huge trout - beware the hype!

When many of the big dams were first flooded, there were two factors going for the production of big trout - firstly the huge population of native galaxids (a fish about the circumference of a minnow but twice as long) and secondly the newly flooded vegetation producing an explosion of freshwater invertebrates. (Think about the production of Grafham in its early years)

Both these factors contributed to large numbers of big trout. That is what made Tasmanian trout fishing famous.

However, trout eat galaxids faster than galaxids can reproduce - these little fish have no defence against large predators. So that source of trout food has almost disappeared. Also, once the submerged vegetation had been consumed, there was no more, and the lakes reverted to the level of production one might expect from an oligotrophic lake.

Still excellent fishing, in beautiful surroundings, but as in other mature trout lakes around the world, you have to work for your fish !

The other thing to bear in mind re getting there from the Melbourne is that Ferry crossing can be how you say interesting depending on the sea state ,never fished for the Trout but did have a go off Jetty's/Rocks and in the lagoons the sport there was excellent esp off the rocks by the Ferry terminal waiting to come home .

The coastline just past Port Arthur and the prison heading west is a bit special to ,Looking forward to your reports Vagabond and very jealous face Steve.

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

The other thing to bear in mind re getting there from the Melbourne is that Ferry crossing can be how you say interesting depending on the sea state ,never fished for the Trout but did have a go off Jetty's/Rocks and in the lagoons the sport there was excellent esp off the rocks by the Ferry terminal waiting to come home .

The coastline just past Port Arthur and the prison heading west is a bit special to ,Looking forward to your reports Vagabond and very jealous face Steve.

Interesting.