Free Angling Coaching On The River Wensum In Norwich

Anglers' Net

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good on them, I am all for putting something back into our sport and I feel a lot more clubs should have 'pike teach ins' for handling and educating them on the right tackle to use.

Lets hope this will encourage some more clubs to do the same. Mind you I know from personal experience it is a job to drag people away from the still waters. <_<

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

There's no love lost between myself and NACA. As far as I'm concerned they're a bunch of environmental vandals who have contrived with the EA to establish a non native species of fish in one of my local rivers, and then used that as reason to close down public access to the river on 'conservation' grounds.

Having upset many local people in the Wensum Valley, they are now embarking on a PR exercise which doesn't wash with me.

They refuse to address the issues which I have raised with them, even though I have told them that a dispute exists.

What I don't get is why the EA are involved in this. They are supposed to be looking after our environment, not running fishing tuition courses for NACA.

My problem here is that AN is giving them a voice.

Sorry if this sounds churlish, but that's how I feel.

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

There's no love lost between myself and NACA. As far as I'm concerned they're a bunch of environmental vandals who have contrived with the EA to establish a non native species of fish in one of my local rivers, and then used that as reason to close down public access to the river on 'conservation' grounds.

What specie was it Andy?

Having upset many local people in the Wensum Valley, they are now embarking on a PR exercise which doesn't wash with me.

They refuse to address the issues which I have raised with them, even though I have told them that a dispute exists.

What I don't get is why the EA are involved in this. They are supposed to be looking after our environment, not running fishing tuition courses for NACA.

My problem here is that AN is giving them a voice.

Sorry if this sounds churlish, but that's how I feel.

THe EA run these tuition days throughout the Country and they are excellent days for the kids and I have learnt from them as well when I have taken Liam along. I can't comment on your problem with NACA only that barbel have been in the Wensum for a long time.

As for them being given space on here, well we all get it to air our views/advervtise events/have our say, thanks to Elton. You have had your say and as you have a problem with this as long as you keep it structured and not too personal then we will all read what you have to say. You have not said why you are so against barbel being in the Wensum.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

Quite right Lyn. I don't know exactly what Andy's complaints are but as I understand it membership of the NACA is open to all.

If I read Andy's comments literally then the NACA have the fishing rights to stretches of river and let no one fish there for conservation reasons. If that is so then it probably is a good thing for short periods. If he means that it used to be free fishing or at least just for the asking of permission and the old bottle at Christmas then I have some sympathy but I am sorry to say that in this day and age idyllic scenarios like that just can't exist any longer. Shame but there it is.

The NACA do some very good teach ins annually and it is a part of the EA's remit to promote angling, a statutory obligation.

Edited by Waveney One

THe EA run these tuition days throughout the Country and they are excellent days for the kids and I have learnt from them as well when I have taken Liam along. I can't comment on your problem with NACA only that barbel have been in the Wensum for a long time.

As for them being given space on here, well we all get it to air our views/advervtise events/have our say, thanks to Elton. You have had your say and as you have a problem with this as long as you keep it structured and not too personal then we will all read what you have to say. You have not said why you are so against barbel being in the Wensum.

lyn

Yep, ok lyn agreed that NACA have a right to use the AN voice and present their arguments.

Truth is, I am largely indifferent to the introduction of barbel into the Wensum. But when people turn around after the event and say "sorry, you cannot canoe through here during the closed fishing season because the barbel are spawning", then it smacks of gross hypocracy and intolerance.

I want this dispute solved just as much as everyone else, but I didn't just fall out of a christmas tree. In order for that to happen, they actually have to do something, such as move their position.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig