Free Angling Coaching On The River Wensum In Norwich

Anglers' Net

I certainly take issue with the suggestion that this is one of the top big barbel rivers in the country. Sure, there are artificially stocked fish in this river which grow big, but if I wanted to catch a big barbel I wouldn't head to the wensum anymore than I would head to a dry ski slope to learn how to ski.

Do you find many places to go fishing? I don't think there is that many places left that haven't had some kind of stocking program.

I certainly agree that it's understandable why the barbel heads are being a little protective, but that doesn't excuse thuggish behaviousr. Make no mistakes, there are people in their ranks that are the angling equivalent of football hooligans. The only difference is that football is actively trying to root out the thugs. The Angling Trust is encouraging them.

Don't be to hard on them Andy, even are lovely police force gets accused of be thuggish at times when when dealing with criminals.

No idea, there were possibly barges though, please keep it relevant mate

"Possibly barges" What kind of precedent is that to go joy paddling mob handed in canoe's "mate".

It's certainly possible to portage around them, if the law required that. But we all know that barbel spawn well into July, so why should I have to portage around a spawning riffle in May, whilst a barbel fisherman presents a baited hook in June? It makes no environmental sense and it smacks of gross hypocracy.

I can smell a bit of gross hypocrisy, but I'm not sure its from the same places you think its coming from.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think slating what is a very progressive, proactive and conservation minded club because the deny you access to a part of the river where you have no right to be, is hardly very fair.

One final point Mark, I do not accept that I have no right to be there. I think my right to navigate that river is enshrined in Magna Carta, which requires all rivers and streams in the realm to kept clear for public navigation. This right has never been repealed by statute, so if NACA try to stop me canoeing through Ketteringham's Marshes again I shall appeal to HM. In the meantime NACA are perfectly at liberty to issue me with a court injunction - they know who I am and where I live because I have written to them on two separate occasions. I have yet to receive a substantive reply to either of my letters.

I would welcome a test case.

Edited by andy_youngs

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

I can smell a bit of gross hypocrisy, but I'm not sure its from the same places you think its coming from.

Sadly, this doesn't seem to be going anywhere

never try and teach a pig to sing .... it wastes your time and it annoys the pig

Maybe that should read 'replenished legally' - fish have a habit of mysteriously turning up all over the place...!

Not really.

Now the river has SAC status the barbel stocks cannot be artificially replenished legally. Article 22b of the European Habitats Directive :

"in implementing the provisions of this Directive, Member States shall ....ensure that the deliberate introduction into the wild of any species which is not native to their territory is regulated so as not to prejudice natural habitats within their natural range or the wild native fauna and flora and, if they consider it necessary, prohibit such introduction."

Edited by andy_youngs

Almost right. You might have to go on a waiting list for about 10 years, AND pay an annual maintenance fee during that period, and at the end of it you might be accepted.

But if all you want to do is go down to your local river and catch some native roach and brown trout then you will be disappointed. You will be prevented from doing so by barbel fishermen.

The reason I am questioning the presence of barbel in the Wensum is because I'm not sure whether it's sustainable in the long term. As NACA will freely admit, the otters are decemating the barbel stocks and their numbers cannot be replenished artificially due to the rivers SAC and SSSI status.

A famous quote by barbel fishermen is that this is a valid reintroduction because two scientists, Wheeler and Jordan, speculated back in 1990 that barbel might have existed in the Wensum at some point since the end of Anglian Glaciation (a period which ended some 478,000 years ago).

But they also stated that "small and slow-flowing lowland rivers probably contained only limited suitable habitats for this species and their populations would have been small and vulnerable to environmental changes"

So, the taxpayer is supposed to pour thousands of pounds into river improvment schemes, so that barbel can be introduced into an alian environment, otters can be fed, and the public can be denied the right to navigate the river. Does that really make any sense?

You seem to have jumped to the conclusion that barbel have been introduced into an alien environment. Why? There is no evidence in what you have put forward to back that up, only that their population may have been small and vulnerable.

Sadly, this doesn't seem to be going anywhere

Thats OK I can understand that mate.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Andy Young, Magna Carta applies to rivers affected by a diurnal tide, e.g. a tide from the sea. If that is not the case with the upper Wensum then you have no right of navigation.

Quite correct Peter and the upper Wensum has no tidal influence.

I can quite understand now why canoeists are so unpopular if they are all as ill informed and ignorant as Andy.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

One final point Mark, I do not accept that I have no right to be there.

I think that's all it comes down to really. Good luck with the test case but I'm sorry to say that I don't think you'd get very far with it. Why not paddle elsewhere? Norfolk is mostly water!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

You seem to have jumped to the conclusion that barbel have been introduced into an alien environment. Why? There is no evidence in what you have put forward to back that up, only that their population may have been small and vulnerable.

That's a load of ****s. Anyone, even Elton, could figure that one out. It's a no brainer. I haven't jumped to this astounding conclusion, it's a fact that anyone with half a brain can establish. I've put loads of evidence forward.

Firstly, I've put forward Magna Carta. The most profound constitutional document in the history of our country.

Secondly, I've put forward evidence from the Environment Agency that barbel are considered by them to be non native to the Wensum ... for anyone who doubts me, I've got it in writing from them and will publish if necessary.

Thirdly, I've put forward evidence from two eminent fisheries experts, Messrs Jordan and Wheeler that this whole idea of barbel in the Wensum is extremely tenuous.

Finally, I submit the defence of basic common sense.

I think you guys are all in denial.

I think that's all it comes down to really. Good luck with the test case but I'm sorry to say that I don't think you'd get very far with it. Why not paddle elsewhere? Norfolk is mostly water!

No, I think I choose to paddle there. And in order for there to be a test, there first needs to be a prosecution .... good luck ....