Trotting with a fixed spool reel

Anderoo

There is nothing better than a centrepin for the job when it comes to trotting.

It's such a simple basic design that does exactly whats asked of it.

The line flow and control of a centrepin just puts it streets ahead of anything else but I know not everyone is a pin fan so there is an alternative... but not as good!

The only other reel I would consider for the job is an old ABU 507 because it has a wider spool and does work well when trotting. I see them on Ebay but they seem quite pricey now.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new close face reel from ABU this is music to my ears as i was unaware they had brought out a new model.I was never impressed with Daiwa's version of the DAM "coffee grinder" so perhaps the 706 will be a worthy replacement for my much used and abused 501.

and at timsbury you can have a go with one of mine .In Fact if i aint sold it by then i'll have my abu 501 with me ,you can borrow it and if you've a mind too it could be yours for £20

That's a very kind of you and I shall take you up on that offer at the Timsbury fish in.

Going back to the rather special 7lb 6ox chub which recently made an appearance in a 'guess the weight' competition on Anglers Net, the successful angler was in fact using a closed face reel. By all accounts he was a seasoned veteran of many of England's great rivers and clearly knew what he was doing. I'm very tempted to ditch the fixed spool reels and master a new art. I assume it is simpler than centrepin fishing. Any drawbacks to using it though?

Many people seem to rate the Abu 501 as the finest closed face reel which has never been beaten by newcomers. True?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

the hypnotic spinning

I think JV44 got a bit close to that one, but it seems we might be sensible pin users :whistling:

Had the question been "why do you need more than one centrepin" the bullsh@t floodgates would've really opened :D

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Many people seem to rate the Abu 501 as the finest closed face reel which has never been beaten by newcomers. True?

i dont know about that ,too me all the 500 series are great reels ,i guess its because they had the faster gears & no anti-reverse as standard ,a favourite amoungst match anglers ,the top of the range was the 506m which was simply a 506 with 501 gears and shallow spools and then theres the bigger brother the 507 & 8 (508 being for kackhanded lefties ) but these was nothing more than a oversized 506 ,but better for trotting with due too its wider spool

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Had the question been "why do you need more than one centrepin" the bullsh@t floodgates would've really opened :D

would that be the bullsh@t we tell others or the bullsh@t we tell ourselfs too justify the ownership of more than one :yeah: ,i have no excuses and i can always think of another reason for another one :clap: .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

1189105-web.jpg

send your hard erned on a abu 706 (brand new model) available for £60 from mularkeys ,its worth every penny ,a nice solid little reel and it comes with 3 spare spools (making 4 .three shallow ,one deep ) and a nice case too kreep it in . I have one (it'll be coming to timsbury) .I like it that much i've replaced my abu 501 (which will be heading too e-bay at some point soon) ,and i'm thinking of getting another to replace my abu 506

Is there any mechanical difference between the 706 and the 1044? I had a 501 that got stolen, and bought a pair of 1044's and they were/are brilliant (I sold one to John the vicar). I caught plenty of big fish on them, one 100lb+ bag of 6lb+ Tench. Only problem I ever had, was if I hooked a carp and had to let it run, I was unable to see how much line was left on the spool :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Never used a 507 (but the bigger spool thing makes sense) but can definitely vouch for the 501 and 506M.Still got a pair of 501's and can never see me replacing them.

They possibly don't cast as far as an open faced reel but on rivers and for 90% of still water situations Ive not found this to be a problem. They were built when ABU still made quality equipment so if you can get a nice one of Fleabay it will last you a lifetime all though being over at least 25 ish years old already!

Don't know about the latest ABU closed face and I'm supprised to hear that Den rates the 1044 as Ive not heard many say a good thing about them.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

the only mechanical difference is the materials they make the gears with and ratio's used ,not a lot really ,better position of the anti-reverse switch

owls22dx.gif

Chavender