Cormorant Team Work

Jeffwill

low rainfall ? :o

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Over the year as a whole, it probably has been quite low on rain but we have had some absolutely torrential downpours, which can throw a spanner in the works when you have a day out planned but these downpours rarely do much for consistent levels because the ground has been dried hard and the torrents just run off almost as quickly as they appeared.

We need light rain a little more consistently.

It does seem quite wet just now mind you..... :angry:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I have seen this happen before on the Thames. I have also seen pelicans doing the same in Australia and I have seen perch and pike doing it on London reservoirs. They are definitely working as a team whether they realise it or not, but to me they do exactly what they are doing.

As to the size of fish that cormorants will take, I saw one with a zander that was larger than the cormorant. It couldn't get the fish down its throat although it tried for over an hour. The zander was alive at first but eventually drifted off when the cormorant finally gave up barely alive. I eventually fished the zander out after it drifted to the bank and took it home to weigh, I can't remember for sure what it weighed now (maybe 3lb) but it was larger than I ever imagined a cormorant would even try and tackle.

They can, and will, wipe out fisheries, the low rainfall has not helped either, with no colour in the water the fish are easy prey. Do not doubt the ability of these birds, if they are on the Wye then this great river will suffer :(

I'd be more surprised not seeing Cormorants than seeing them. For many years they're every where I go, winter and summer but usually I see only two or three together.

What is really concerning is when a large number go down stetches of river spread out like a net....and they eat a lot of fish each so presumably will be up and down different stretches of a river every single day of the week.

Someone I know well reckons they are common birds now and should take their chances like crows...

Its not good news for roach stocks for certain.