PBs

Kappa

Following on from Wellyphant's record topic...

Do you know the weights of all your PBs?

I don't. I remember the weight of my top 5 or so perch. The same with tench and bream. However I can't remember what my carp PB is.

Don't get me wrong I like catching big fish, but its not the be all and end all. Does it really matter if your latest fish is the biggest ever? For me it more how and where I caught a fish and what it looked like. The memorable ones stick, the flukes and boring captures don't!

For example there are plenty of waters closeby with a very good chance of smashing my PB tench. However they are horrible places to be and I can't bring myself to fish them!

So do you know all your PBs? How much do they matter to you?

Rich

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Following on from Wellyphant's record topic...

I don't. I remember the weight of my top 5 or so perch. The same with tench and bream. However I can't remember what my carp PB is.

Don't get me wrong I like catching big fish, but its not the be all and end all. Does it really matter if your latest fish is the biggest ever? For me it more how and where I caught a fish and what it looked like. The memorable ones stick, the flukes and boring captures don't!

For example there are plenty of waters closeby with a very good chance of smashing my PB tench. However they are horrible places to be and I can't bring myself to fish them!

So do you know all your PBs? How much do they matter to you?

Rich

In a nutshell no. To me it is more about the quality of the fish and also the quality of the venue and surroundings. Don't get me wrong, I do like to catch big fish but it is not the B all and end all. I have been fortunate enough to have caught specimens of several species however for example the biggest Carp that I have caught which beat any other by quite a margin, I did not even bother to weigh or photograph as it was in my eyes ugly and pot bellied and I got no enjoyment from it whatsoever. Others have been pristine and memorable like the time when I caught my first thirty common which was a magnificent fish from what can only be described as beautiful surroundings. On the other side of the coin I would be over the moon with a specimen Tench or Bream from you know where and would be even more so with a 3lb Roach from a nice stretch of river. PBs are always there to be broken but it is definately not the reason for why I fish.

Edited by tincatinca

Pike - 25.5 lbs

Perch - 3.75 lbs

Tench - 4 lbs

Roach - 2.5lbs

Common Carp- 6.75lbs (have to confirm that one with Andy_1984)....which is pathetic since I caught it a fortnight ago.

Brownie - 6.5lbs

Grilse - 5lbs

Grayling - 2.5lbs (I think)

Dace 1.25 lbs (I think)

Caught hybrids, Orfe, Bream, pasties, Rudd, Eels and a myriad of other species but haven't weighed them all. I really need some very accurate small weight scales since I've taken up coarse fishing properly.

Accurate to the best of my knowledge.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Pike - 25.5 lbs

Perch - 3.75 lbs

Tench - 4 lbs

Roach - 2.5lbs

Common Carp- 6.75lbs (have to confirm that one with Andy_1984)....which is pathetic since I caught it a fortnight ago.

Brownie - 6.5lbs

Grilse - 5lbs

Grayling - 2.5lbs (I think)

Dace 1.25 lbs (I think)

Caught hybrids, Orfe, Bream, pasties, Rudd, Eels and a myriad of other species but haven't weighed them all. I really need some very accurate small weight scales since I've taken up coarse fishing properly.

Accurate to the best of my knowledge.

If you are catching dace to that size then yes you really should get some "very accurate small weight scales". Thats very big.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Carp - 27lb 6oz: 15/08/08, Method Feeder/Hemp Bogey, CEMEX Blue Pool, Burghfield.

Pike - 18lb 10oz: 10/02/01, Freelined Lamprey section, River Lambourn, Newbury.

Barbel - 12lb 4oz: 27/07/04, Ledgered 14mm Halibut pellet, River Kennet, Thatcham.

Bream - 9lb 7oz: 02/09/06, Ledgered 14mm Halibut pellet, Horseshoe Lake, Yateley.

Brown Trout - 8lb 12oz: 14/03/08, Trotted Maggot, River Kennet, Nr Newbury.

Tench - 7lb 10oz: 18/06/03, Float fished Black Pudding, Wylies Lake, Thatcham.

Chub - 6lb 6oz: 8/03/09, Trotted Maggot, River Kennet, Nr Newbury.

Salmon - 5lb 10oz: 13/10/08, Trotted Maggot, River Itchen, Nr Eastleigh.

Rainbow Trout - 4lb 10oz: 05/03/04, Trotted Maggot, River Kennet, Barton Court.

Perch - 3lb 14oz: 17/10/09, Float fished Lobworm, K&A Canal, Thatcham.

Crucian Carp - 3lb 10oz: 22/06/99, Float fished Bread, NAA Lake, Widmead.

Grayling - 2lb 15oz: 06/01/02, Trotted Maggot, Lower Itchen Fishery.

Roach - 2lb 11oz: 07/02/03, Trotted Maggot, River Kennet, Nr Hungerford.

Brown Goldfish - 1lb 14oz: 21/06/05, Float fished Bread, Pumphouse Lake, Yateley.

Sea Trout - 1lb 12oz: 06/01/02, Trotted Maggot, Lower Itchen Fishery.

Eel - 1lb 6oz: 11/10/03, Trotted Maggot, River Test, Timsbury

Rudd - 1lb 6oz: 27/07/91, Float fished Maggot, NAA Lake, Widmead.

Dace - 1lb 2oz: 07/02/03, Trotted Maggot, River Kennet, Nr Hungerford

So err that would be a yes!

One of the vicarious pleasure I get from my fishing is keeping a diary of all my captures - which goes back to when I was 11! :rolleyes: In addition to this I keep records of various venue bests for venues I fish regularly - I certainly get satisfaction knowing this is the best X from Y even if its not an overall PB. And getting even more anal I also keep Top 10 records for many species!!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Yes, I know exactly what they all are and keep an up to date list! The only one I don't know 100% is rainbow trout, as that was caught early this year from Farmoor I which is catch & release, so I didn't weigh any fish I caught, just unhooked them in the water.

Chasing PBs isn't what I focus on all the time, but if I'm fishing somewhere that has the potential to break one and I think I'm getting close, I will put the effort in. It's all very seasonal too, target species change throughout the year. There are some species that I haven't fished for very much or that I haven't targetted recently, but this is largely dictated by where I happen to be living.

The fish I really do put effort into catching PBs are tench, bream, perch and chub. I'm saving the rest :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Here's my list..

Common carp 40.4

Mirror carp 35.10

Tench 9.14

Bream 9.1

Eel 6.9

Roach 2.2

Perch 2.8

Chub 6.9

Barbel 12.0

Rudd 1.6

Pike 20.4

Rainbow.3.6

Brown.5.3

Sea trout.14.0

Grayling 1.6

Crucian 4.1 (Unnaccepted record)

Koi 25.4

Cod 18.8

Those are the ones I remember for sure.

I remember a huge wrasse, a very large gudgeon and a couple of goldfish :) but no idea of the weights.

I did set a couple of targets when I retired, only one has been achieved. I did get a target PB last year with my first "proper" 20 lb pike...my first 20 took a maggot feeder :) :) I do seem to catch a lot of fish on the maggot feeder :) :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Dug the diaries out for some of these.

Pike 34ib 10oz

carp 38ib 11oz (English)

carp 52ib 2oz (french)

Barbel 12ib 2oz

chub 6ib 1oz

zander 11ib 12oz

perch 2ib

roach 2ib 6oz

rudd not very big at all

dace 13 oz near abouts

tench 12ib 7oz

bream 15ib 8oz (accidental whilst carping)

bream 10ib 2oz (planned)

cruician 3ib 7oz

catfish 27ib 7oz ( must try harder)

Ruffe (dunno but made a cracking little livo)

fw eel 7ib 1oz

rainbow 6ib

brownie about a pound or so

salmon 9ib summit ( compound bow river beauly near inverness. Doesnt really count)

I probably missed some. Send your answers to

Blue Peter

television centre

london

W12 8QT

:D

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Here's my list - I've started keeping separate records for pole and running line:

Barbel; 13lb 2oz; River Great Ouse, Northants; 2005

Bleak; 1oz 8drm; River Thames, Oxfordshire; 1983

Bream; 8lb 6oz; Willen North Lake, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire; 2004

Carp (Mirror); 14lb 10oz; MBK, Liss, Hampshire; 1994 (Pole)

Carp (Common); 12lb 6oz; Goose Green, West Sussex; 1993 (Pole)

Carp (Ghost); probably around 10lb

Carp (Leather); probably around 8lb

Carp (Crucian); 4lb 2oz; MBK, Liss, Hampshire; 1993 (Pole)

Chub; 7lb 2oz; MBK, Liss, Hampshire; 1993: River Severn, Shropshire; 1997

Eel; 6lb 2oz; Moor Farm, Petworth, Sussex; 1992

Dace; 14oz; Many times: 1lb 2oz; River Dane, Congleton, Cheshire; 1986 (Out of season - trout fishing, I think this was equal to the then record IIRC)

Grayling; 15oz; River Itchen, Southampton, Hampshire; 2007

Gudgeon; 3oz 8drm; MBK, Liss, Hampshire; 1993 (Pole)

Perch; 2lb 10oz; Wingham, Kent; 2004 (Pole): 2lb 13oz; River Great Ouse, Buckinghamshire; 2004 (Running Line)

Pike; 7lb 14oz; Wingham, Kent; 2004 (Pole)

Roach; 2lb 6oz; Norfolk Broads; 1984 (Running Line - on a boat trip with my parents, caught several over 2lb on that trip); 2lb 2oz; Furnace Mill, Sussex; 1995 (Pole)

Rudd; 2lb 8oz; Jubilee Pit, Buckinghamshire; 2005

Ruffe; 2oz; Many times

Salmon; 1lb 8oz; River Itchen, Southampton, Hampshire; 2008

Tench; 9lb 6oz, Patching Pond, Patching, West Sussex; 1992 (Running Line): 7lb0oz; Jubilee Pit, Bletchley, Buckinghamshire; 2003 (Pole)

Trout (Brown); 3lb 8oz, River Itchen, Southampton, Hampshire; 2008

Trout (Rainbow); 3lb 14oz; Weir Wood, Sussex; 1990

Trout (Sea); 2lb 4oz (guessed - based on the brownies I was catching at the time); Tributary to Duddon, Ulpha, Cumbria; 1979

Will

p.s. Where I've not stated otherwise they're caught on running line

Edited by Will Wilkinson

Not really into PB's and don't record them acuratly but for what it's worth:

Magseer 77lb

Carp 29lb

Pike 25lb

Chub 5lb

Perch 2.5lb

Steelhead 8lb

Barramundi 21lb

All caught on lures....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.