PBs

Kappa

Lightheartedly, We only have a few "Euro" tackle shops in the US. The best way to "sell" something to a Brit is to send him fishing with a Frog who has a new outfit.

Most of the guys I've (carp) fished with in England and certainly over here take half a day to get to their swim and then casually offer they've just brought a few "bits and bobs" since we are in for a short session.

lol I don't doubt that for one minute. :D

For any web design needs check out http://www.chiptenwebsites.co.uk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rather like reading about peoples catches and if they come with photos of the fish and venue then all the better. It's odd when you think about all the threads that get started but the ones that I tend to remember and enjoy reading the most are the little campaigns that come with photos such as John Weddups Ocean Pit Breaming and Anderoo's Chub campaign last year. So if anything I think I would encourage people to take more photos and post more catch reports whether with big or small fish.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

With all of my children being keen anglers I have always taken a camera simply for posterity. My children love going over pictures of the fish they have landed.

Many an hour I have gone over my older photo's and remember sessions that you lived on for many months.

It also gives me the opportunity to show my children some of my fish.

Shows me also how fast I am ageing...lol... ;);)

I personally enjoy looking at photographs from other anglers showing their catches and like to see those linked to PB's.

Surely sharing the feeling with others, that a great session brings, is one of the qualities we all share as Anglers.

Our sport is a sport apart. In most cases Fishing is a sport of great skill.

Do we not pit our wits against the fish in choice of venue and baits? If we are not good enough we catch nothing.

So why not show people, especially those who share our interests?

I tend to take pics of nearly all my fish. Most of them are worthy of the respect I show them by taking a quick shot. Another reason, and a very valid one I feel, is to show proof of capture, as, unfortunately, where I fish, it is quite competitive, and a pic tells its own story :)

Then there are the special fish, obviously the PB's, but every now and then (like today :) ) one comes along which is a true stunner.............

BarofGold.jpg

Now how do you describe the colouring of that fish adequately in words?

22lbs by the way :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Thank God an interesting thread at last! I was starting to give up on AN a bit!

As usual Ive found the posts that differ to my views/standard most interesting!

Firstly I cant remember my last "new PB" I think it was when I broke my long standing Bream one a few years back now at Wingham (on an Anglers Net Fish In at that!) Realistically though two things have caused this.Primarily I simply haven't been able to put any hours in in recent years and on a less gloomier note I have been lucky enough over the years to fish waters that have given me some good PB's that I doubt I realistically have much chance of breaking!

I suppose there is also an element of them not being so important to me now (by this I mean getting new ones rather than my existing ones which mean an awful lot to me as they were both hard won in most cases and thoroughly enjoyed!) I'm simply not "hungry" for them now like I used to be and being "hungry" is important for success.

I say this as here are two examples,

I have never caught a double figure tench despite a very large list of 8lb+ fish and a hand full of 9's,but I think if I really wanted to/could get out more often than a 10 would be very realistically a good bet on my water.I just seem to tench fish for fun now when I get the chance to get out and have no drive to try hard enough for one despite the fact one would be very nice!

A lot harder but equally possible would be to increase my Bream PB more.Simply again because the water I fish has them and after all (as we all seem to agree) that's the biggest factor.I simply cant/don't want to put the time and effort in that would be needed!

Weights? Used to be important and I still insist that if a fish is weighed or a weight claimed it must be done as accurately as possible or simply not at all. But they no longer "drive" or motivate me to the same degree.

I used to regard photos simply as evidence (and as such were often only taken when I felt the need for evidence) but now I just simply really enjoy them to look at and reflect! I now wish I had taken many more! In the days they were just evidence I didn't often feel the need for such so rarely took them! Part fish welfare part my own lazyness!

Weigh or not weigh,photo or not photo,record or not is really a personal choice and as long as its not to the fishes' detriment then each to their own.

If I could catch one last PB? Regain my Spanish Catfish record? No interest at all in the circus its become! Break the Pike record? had more than my fair share of chances and it never happened so simply wasn't meant to be! New PB carp? why I really prefer smaller carp to the monster lumps that have become more like "our pets" to be blunt! Nudging all the others up by a few ounces? not that worried and in many cases certainly not worth the effort it would need just for an ounce or two more.

I suppose if I had the option it would be to break my last big barrier and that would be after all these years to get a 2lb+ Roach! Yes that would be nice and I could then finally truly not bother but ..........................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Poledark,

Dandy fish!

Is that a leather? In all my carp I've never caught a leather.

For some reason photo's give credibility to the typed word on totally unrelated subjects. Not just in angling but in life.

Budgie,

There are two reasons I don't photo. One, I don't have a camera and probably can't operate yours no matter how simple. Two, I have established a reputaton as a "counter culture" carp angler who hangs out with ex-Pats. Can't be cleaning up my act now.

Phone

(Again for all, Don't do as I do - - - do as I say. I really, really like photos with reports. Keep 'em coming!! .

Phone, almost a leather, got a little "necklace" along the top under the dorsal. You should have seen it in the sun :) :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Cracking fish Den, I thought it might have been a complete nude leather aswell.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I caught a new PB carp this afternoon. I don't know what it weighed but it was a good bit bigger than any other carp I've caught.

I thought that I would have a lazy couple of hours watching a quiver tip bend round and I had caught a few carp up to around 4lb before this one came along and that's the problem really. I didn't do anything different to catch this one than I did to catch the 4lber that preceded it of the 4lber that followed it so the fact that this one turned out to be a bit bigger than the others is really just down to chance. That's the problem I have with the whole PB thing. Why should it be significant when it is no more than chance, luck, coincidence, call it what you will.

I have to be honest and say that the first carp I landed on the fly the other evening was a lot more significant to me, I felt that I had done something to earn it.

By coincidence this new PB was the first carp that I hooked on the fly the other night, the unstoppable one. There was my fly firmly hooked in the upper lip :)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

Sportsman,

I agree, In North America it ONLY indicate you have access to a particular venue. That's about it. (Ohh, and money - chasing "specimen" (the largest 2%) can be very expensive). Frankly, if I wanted to catch a "pb" I think it would be much more efficient and less costly to "fish in a barrel" where KNOWN specimen exist. We don't have any - yet. One year, I had fishing licenses from 32 of our states (avg $50ea I'd say(?)) plus travel and lodging. I wasn't necessairly specimen hunting but just having fun. That year I decided to catch a carp in every state with a city named "Weston". At the time I lived in Weston MO.

Also, the "largest" carp in NA may live in areas that are practically inaccessable. Not many "Euro purists" want to fish for them and the locals just eat them. They, C&R Euro's, would rather have a nice well mowed area where the session can be both civil and several days. We have plenty of carp, but few over 50 lbs, fewer over 60 lbs and maybe, just maybe one or two 75's. A few 50lb carp can be "targeted". I guess to set and acomplish a goal on wild water is worthy of a picture. ("Few", could be measured in the 100's if not 1000's). It is uncommon for a well known carp venue not to have 30's or 40's (that number is tens of thousands to millions).

Phone

Edited by Phone