juwel rio 180 ?

Andy_1984

http://www.petcentreonline.co.uk/ecommerce...product~843.htm

trying to find out more on the pump and filtration, is it noisy, is it capable of filtering, oxiginating ? what does the filtering device look like all i have seen is the actual pump

clearly i dont know much about the hardware. does anyone have one and can it be unpackaged and ready for action or like most things you need to buy seperate bits to get it going. the last thing i want to do is get it then have it sitting doing nothing till i can find some other bit of hardware like the tank i got when i was 12.

it had the pump but no filtering device! that cost extra......

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Andy, we've got two Juwel tanks, a Trigon 190 and a Vision 260. We've been pleased with both. The quality of the tanks and cabinets is very good. The cabinets come flat packed and are very heavy, but we found that they went together much more precisely than most flat packed stuff.

There is an internal filter powered by a small pump. You can see the filter in this photo:

dscn0218_sml.jpg

The filter is virtually silent, unless you fit the optional venturi kit, in which case you will get some noise from the bubbles. The filtration is perfectly adequate for the size of tank, although I prefer to over-filter and have fitted both tanks with additional external power filters. I think the oxygenation is OK as standard, however we've fitted the venturi kit to the trigon and the Vision has an external air pump running a bubble curtain along the back of the tank. The bubble curtain is more about avoiding dead spots in the rocks than oxygenation.

The lighting is variable. To be honest, for plants our Trigon's standard setup was completely inadequate. We've added another tube. The Vision has two big T5 tubes and is fine. I think all Juwel tanks now come with T5 tubes, so make sure you don't end up with old stock. I'm tempted to upgrade our tank, you can buy the new T5 light bar separately for about 50 quid. The tank has been running for several years now and I'd quite like to redo it from scratch. I'm tempted to upgrade the lighting, fit a CO2 kit and run it as a proper planted aquarium.

Our Rio:

P1020065.jpg

Our Trigon:

amazon.jpg

The filter at the back of the Trigon:

tigerplec.jpg

thanks steve, i found some of the info i was after which put my mind at ease, the one im looking at comes with a pump 600 set something or other with filter media and T5 lighting and heater so im going to get that one, found a supplier doing 0% finance on it aswel over 12 months, works out a little over a fiver a week.

going to get some real plantlife in the tank but not yet decided on what i want to stock it with something realy weird i think, algae eater, cray fish, perch (joke), tropicals

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Should do fine with that, I think.

What's your water supply like? Are you in Glasgow? Very soft water there, perfect for Amazon basin species. Our Amazonian tank is a pain in the arse because our tapwater is very hard. The African cichlid tank is easy.

I'd love to keep native British species, but you need a very big tank to do them justice. Used to have a pike, that was fun...