OCTOBER PHOTO COMPETITION

Janet

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to be a spoilsport and remind people of the rules since there are number this month that fall outside. Namely one image from last year and at least 2 are framed.

Rob.

Snipped from the rules;

"New Photos Only. Colour or Black and White (Black and White conversions allowed).

Photo should be limited to a max dimension of 800 pixel for the longest dimension, and the file size to be less than 512KB in JPG/jpg format.

Substitution and deletion of entries is not allowed. Once a picture is entered it "Stands". Offenders risk having their whole entries for that month deleted.

EXIF and other information.

Exif information is something that is embedded into a photograph when the photo is taken, the gallery software automatically reads and displays it for you when you upload your photo.After you have resized your photo ready to upload its recommended that you use your image editing softwares "Save As" command to save it as this will maintain the exif info in the photograph, using "Save" or "Save for web" will destroy this information.

Please keep a copy of the original photograph you downloaded from your camera as a means of checking validity of entry should it be needed.

In the case of suspected rule violation the moderator will request that a full EXIF be supplied for rule-check purposes. If the information is not forthcoming the entries for that member will be deleted from the current competition. Persistent rule offenders may face a six-month entry ban.

Digital manipulations.

All entries should limit the use of digital manipulations to a minimum. It is suggested that only file conversion, level, curve, cropping and sharpening be used if necessary.

Adding or removing elements to or from the original image is NOT allowed. NO Frames."

Guilty as charged...oops!

I completely missed the rule regarding frames...totally unintentional.

I'll withdraw the offending entries ASAP.

Janet

Edited - entries deleted.

Janet,

Can you not just edit them ? Or is it to late now ?

Oh and just voted :)

Rob.

Edited by RobStubbs

I'm another one I'm afraid! I am deleting the heron photo It's not new. , . Guilty of not reading rules properly too. The date's obviously in the first line of the exif data which I always save with the upload ( I read that one) so not trying to hide it. I can live with being silly, but not cheating :rolleyes:

Substitution and deletion of entries is not allowed. Once a picture is entered it "Stands". Offenders risk having their whole entries for that month deleted.

Unfortunately I can't amend my entries, but I've learned a lesson for next time! Sorry you've been caught out too Rich - yours was an excellent shot. Neither of us were trying to cheat, just guilty of not reading the rules fully.

However, considering how slow the photography forum is at the moment, perhaps we should think of relaxing the rules a bit to encourage more entries? 19 entries from 7 members really isn't very good, is it?

Not sour grapes from me....just looking for a way to liven things up a bit!

Perhaps alter the criteria slightly, to allow people to showcase shots they've taken in the past? Maybe allow some more image manipulation to take into account the current vogue for HDR shots?

Apologies if my suggestions are out of order or unworkable, but it really is time we gave the Photography Competition a swift kick up the backside! There are some excellent photograhers on this site, but they are conspicuous by their absence this month....

Janet

Perhaps alter the criteria slightly, to allow people to showcase shots they've taken in the past? Maybe allow some more image manipulation to take into account the current vogue for HDR shots?

Apologies if my suggestions are out of order or unworkable, but it really is time we gave the Photography Competition a swift kick up the backside! There are some excellent photograhers on this site, but they are conspicuous by their absence this month....

Janet

Wow Janet, HDR, thats going a bit OTT . . . . Tin hat time me thinks . . . ;)

However I do agree with spicing things up a little, some how :huh::rolleyes:

SW

Wow Janet, HDR, thats going a bit OTT[

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one SW! Some HDR is just glaringly obvious and "in your face", but I've seen many shots on sites like Focal Planet where it's done subtly, and just makes a very pleasing image. I'm not advocating going OTT with HDR and post processing though....just possibly opening the competition up to a few more members who choose to process their shots in this way. I don't know where you'd draw the line though? Perhaps it's unworkable, but I think it's worth consideration.

For me, I'd like to see the competition criteria widened a bit, to allow some more creativity, otherwise folk who want to show their work and get some constructive criticism are just going to drift off to dedicated photography sites, much as you and I have done recently? Yes, we can post in "Photo of the Day", but those posts tend to drift into obscurity. The monthly competition is a great place to post work that you're proud of, and get some feedback, whether by comments or votes.

Given the atrocious weather at the moment, where people aren't inclined to get out and about with their camera gear, I'd suggest that the timeline for posting be amended, allowing members to post pictures taken outwith the current month....I'm sure there are many members who have a good shot, but didn't post it at the required time and they are disbarred by the current rules.

Food for thought?

Janet

Afraid i would not be happy with allowing messed around with shots,in the comp how do we know what is original and what is doctored,call me a luddite if you like,I would not feel happy with my un doctored pics competing against the manipulated ones!

perhaps we need a seperate thread or comp where anything goes .

nurse.gif

AKA Nurse Jugsy ( especially for newt)