OCTOBER PHOTO COMPETITION

Janet

Rules are rules I suppose but I can see what Janet is saying, with only the same handful of people entering regularly.

It depends what you call doctored or manipulated. With digital photos , as soon as you alter the brightness or crop it, which most people do, it becomes a doctored image you could say. I am a relative newcomer to DSLR cameras, but from what I've seen to get the best out of them you need to know how to use the processing software on the pc to get the most from it. (not like some of that special effects software which makes them look 3D in High contrast and unrealistic though).

I like looking at the photos in the comp, there are no prizes it's for fun and it's interesting to see the camera settings used in each shot. and to see what people are looking for in a photo each month.

Edited by Rich_

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afraid i would not be happy with allowing messed around with shots,in the comp how do we know what is original and what is doctored,call me a luddite if you like,I would not feel happy with my un doctored pics competing against the manipulated ones!

perhaps we need a seperate thread or comp where anything goes .

I'm with Judy here, not being able to tell whats what. There is the revers effect of course, those that prefer 'proper, old fashioned luddite style photography' might not bother . . . win a few loose a few more?

Me thinks revitalising has to be don another way, . . . what that might be, I ain't got a clue :huh: (personal opinion of course) May be, every dog has its day . . . <_< These are anglers that enjoy doing a bit of photography because of the circumstances they find them selves in, great scenery, sunrises, wild lif, etc. Its not a dedicated photo site, the dedicated anorak types have moved on may be?

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

I tend to agree with the majority and agree that shots should be 'unaltered'.

I don't however have a problem having something like a photo art competition running alongside, where anything goes. And perhaps loosening the rules around the 'images' such that only the post photographic processing need be done in the last calendar month.

I am however wary of suggesting more work for Steve's photo comp hosting site, and perhaps suggest doing something informally to start with on this forum and see how it develops ?

Rob.

I tend to agree with the majority and agree that shots should be 'unaltered'.

I don't however have a problem having something like a photo art competition running alongside, where anything goes. And perhaps loosening the rules around the 'images' such that only the post photographic processing need be done in the last calendar month.

I am however wary of suggesting more work for Steve's photo comp hosting site, and perhaps suggest doing something informally to start with on this forum and see how it develops ?

Rob.

Sounds a good idea Rob.

Anybody any suggestions?

Janet

If there are any problems with the PF then it is mainly down to the way it is now setup. It used to be so user friendly that posting pics was dead easy. My perception now, is that most times I think "I will post that pic" I can't seem to get any response......so I don't bother.

I suspect that this is what puts others off.

As for posting pics from outside the rules, well what can I say? the comp is self explanatory.

Luddite? yes I probably am one of those....I do fiddle with some of my pics, but for the comp I think simple cropping is all that should be allowed, even straightening horizons should not be allowed. Modern cameras work perfectly well on Auto, I would suggest that only allowing cropping would encourage entrants to improve their technique.

Remember, this comp was set up on an angling website, and was meant as a bit of fun/interest to encourage us to post some of our pics, not to get seriously involved in "the art of photography" with all the so called fine tuning.

No reflection on Steve meant.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Modern cameras work perfectly well on Auto, I would suggest that only allowing cropping would encourage entrants to improve their technique.

I agree with that, getting better pictures comes from improving ones camera skills. If one isn't happy with the auto shots switch to manual and use it like a film SLR. It is after all a photography section of the forum and not a computer skills section!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

If there are any problems with the PF then it is mainly down to the way it is now setup. It used to be so user friendly that posting pics was dead easy. My perception now, is that most times I think "I will post that pic" I can't seem to get any response......so I don't bother.

What problems are you having with posting photo's Den?

Remember, this comp was set up on an angling website, and was meant as a bit of fun/interest to encourage us to post some of our pics, not to get seriously involved in "the art of photography" with all the so called fine tuning.

You're right there Den - I don't think any of us expect it to be a really serious photography site. It's simply a friendly site where photography is just a small part, and sits well with our interest in fishing and the great outdoors. However, I started off as a total novice when it comes to photography - I learned almost everything from the AN photo forum, which included critique and help with my photo's and excellent, well researched advice as to which camera to buy.

Having well and truly got the bug, I've joined Steve's excellent site "Focal Planet", but as it was the members of AN who originally inspired me to start this photography lark, I want to stick around! I want to show the people who've been so patient in helping me just how I'm progressing, and to encourage others to have a go. Does that make sense?

I was perhaps playing devil's advocate with my suggestions of allowing image manipulation and HDR into the monthly competition, but it was purely in the interest of sparking a bit more interest in the forum, as it seems to have been in the doldrums recently.

Janet

Mmm, an interesting response

Quote Poldark: "Remember, this comp was set up on an angling website, and was meant as a bit of fun/interest to encourage us to post some of our pics, not to get seriously involved in "the art of photography" with all the so called fine tuning" . . . Nail on the head Den :thumbs:

Quote Worms: . . . . "getting better pictures comes from improving ones camera skills. If one isn't happy with the auto shots switch to manual and use it like a film SLR. It is after all a photography section of the forum and not a computer skills section" . . . ? Not quite sure if thats for or against? . . . cos manual just complicates the issue :g: . . . especially on some of the cameras that we use on the river bank?

Not quite sure about the straight out of the camera bit either, the rules as they stand allow a little tweaking very much in the spirit of simple adjustments, including straighten the horizon, that were possible in the 'old fashioned dark room' :huh: 'dark room', whats one of them????? :D This type of adjustment is very simple on the computer, in 'levels', 'colour curves' and 'sharpening'. However the minuet we go into HDR, RAW and all the paraphernalia of PhotoShoping, its a whole different ball park, requiring a level of ability, time and dedication that is, I suspect, beyond what the enthusiastic 'photo-angler' wants?

SW

However the minute we go into HDR, RAW and all the paraphernalia of PhotoShopping, its a whole different ball park, requiring a level of ability, time and dedication that is, I suspect, beyond what the enthusiastic 'photo-angler' wants?

Spot on SW!

However, there have been several contributors to the photography forum in the past who have done stuff with HDR, post-processing and work with flash (strobism? just a fancy word for flash, innit?) who are now conspicuous by their absence. They were quite inspirational at times, and I learned a lot from them.

It seems a shame that they are, for the most part, no longer active, at least in the photography section. Is this because there is no outlet for their creativity on here?

I like Rob's idea of doing something informally, for those that want to try and be a bit creative or expand their horizons a bit, leaving the monthly photo comp as it is - a friendly place where we can share our pics, using the rules as a level playing field for all.

I used to enjoy the monthly "Challenges"....why did we stop doing them? They were what got me inspired to go out and get a camera in the first place. It was fun to see what take each person had on the topic. Perhaps we could have, as Rob suggested, something informal? Post your pics on a thread and then have a poll vote at the end of each week/month? Not as a replacement for the monthly comp - just something to provide a bit of a challenge and maybe some inspiration for those who want/need it?

Perhaps AN isn't the place for it, but it's where I started, and it's where I intend to stay!

Janet

Quote Poldark; "Luddite? yes I probably am one of those....I do fiddle with some of my pics, but for the comp I think simple cropping is all that should be allowed, even straightening horizons should not be allowed. Modern cameras work perfectly well on Auto, I would suggest that only allowing cropping would encourage entrants to improve their technique"

Cant agree entirely Den, it takes a lot of camera menu fiddling to get an acceptably consistent 'spot on'ish' picture from some cameras, I've seen the film, got the t-shirt on that one!

What you are suggesting is 'snapshot'ing' in my book, 'hit or miss' <_< . . . there needs to be an 'element' of Photography skill there, we need to draw in and encourage, snapshots will not hold interest for long? . . . jMHO :D

:huh: Perhaps thats what we have witnessed and not realised it over the past year :huh: 'time to move on' . . . was the thought in individuals minds, quite a lot of individuals, and mostly the ones who had the experiance . . . <_<

Post a technical question on 'AN Photo section' and see what sort of response you get . . . post any sort of question and see the response????

SW