Does size matter?

Dales

I was just wondering do we as anglers tend to set ourselves unrealistic targets. I think challenging yourself to improve and maybe betteer your PB is a good thing. But I feel at times the wish to get that giant may spoil the simple enjoyment of fishing for some. I often feel that any one new to the Sport is swamped by pictures of giant Carp, Barbel and Pike that they may feel that the smaller fish they capture are of little worth.

Often I read posts on forums or letters in magazines about how do I catch my first 20lb Carp, it's as if the fun of just catching fish is being replaced by the need or desire to get the standard weight fish that can be described as big. The media pressure is probably more around Carp, but does effect other species. I have often seen posts on other forums that state you are not a Carp angler unless you have caught your first 20lb, 30lb etc or you cant be a "proper Pike angler until you get a large double, your Jacks don't count"

During the summer I went to try to catch my first Catfish and was talking to another chap who was trying to do the same, he was only fishing during the day and I was bivied up to stay the night. As he was leaving he came over to ask how I had got on and I proudly told him I had caught a 4lb kitten and he replied "I would keep quiet about that if I was you, you don't want people taking the P***"

So I asked him how he had got on and he said that he had caught a "little runt of 12lb". So I told him well done "thats a good fish to get during the day". He did not seem to agree and said "Catfish don't count unless there are over 30lb"

Not sure how he got this idea about not counting, but its an example of how some anglers are driven by the weight of a fish and the perceived badge of honour they think goes with a heavy fish.

As for the chap who caught the "little runt" I have to admit I thought he was something similar :D How dare he look down on my little kitten.

But are we as the whole "angling circus" so obsessed with the weight of a catch that the simple pleasure of fishing no longer seems to matter?

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You make a good point.

Now I'm off out in search of a perch that makes me feel slightly less inadequate in the face of the 3 and 4 pounders you lot have been catching! :D

Now I'm off out in search of a perch that makes me feel slightly less inadequate in the face of the 3 and 4 pounders you lot have been catching! :D

Funny you should mention Perch as yesterday I was targeting Tench and Perch. No luck with the Tench but got some nice Perch up to 2lb. I was well pleased with them, but at the same time I was thinking that's a tiddler compared to some of the Perch that are getting posted on AN

See another example, if you good fisherman would stop catching giant Perch, you would not make me feel so bad about my modest catch :D

Edited by Dales

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

I think its good to set goals in your fishing. But like you say struggling to make these can make some people forget that we go fishing for pleasure. I'm always happy as long as something is pulling my string. Whether it be gudgeon or big pike.

Fishing can be very obcessional and with some branches of it can breed some very egotistical characters. That our driven by a desire to be noticed

Ive been luck enough to catch some nice fish over the years but apart from my carp fishing days when i was very obsessed, I have always managed to enjoy my fishing. My philosophy is enjoy yourself, and dont try to hard. It works for me.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Another good topic!

I think it depends on where you are in your angling life. When relative newcomers are obsessed about catching 20lb (or even 30lb) carp, double figure barbel, 20lb pike, or whatever is in vogue at the time, it does make me a bit depressed. But if someone has been fishing for a long time and they have set themselves a target and are putting in the effort to achieve it, then I think that's a good thing. In the catfish example above, if the guy was new to the sport and disappointed with a double figure cat, then that is a shame. If he'd been catfishing for some time, had caught loads of doubles and had his mind on a 20, then a 12lber wouldn't quite be what he was after. As long as he treated the fish with respect then that doesn't matter.

Newcomers do seem very number-focussed, probably due to the current angling media. Worse still, they want an easy big fish, as if that means they join some sort of exclusive club. It's daft that a '20lb carp' is given the same respect whether it was from a grossly over-stocked puddle or from a huge rock-hard gravel pit or virgin stretch of canal, or whatever. Like it's the number that's important rather than the circumstances and skill required to catch it.

I've been fishing for 25+ years now and still haven't caught a 20lb pike or a 30lb carp. In truth, I would love to catch both of those fish, but I don't think it will prove anything if I did!

As for unrealistic targets, yes I think most of our targets are unrealistic - but they sometimes happen anyway :)

These days I get most pleasure from trying to catch the species I am fishing for at a weight that's above average for the water it's from. Sometimes that is 'big' on a national scale, sometimes it's very small on a national scale - but if it's a good size for the water, I am very happy. Perch were mentioned - if a big perch from your water is 2lb, then that is without doubt a big fish. It takes no more skill to catch a 3lber from a water where they are present.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

This IS a good topic, something I would hope to have come out of my PB topic :D

I'm really wierd about big fish. I like to catch big fish but its not the be all and end all. Before fishing Wingham I'd never travelled more than 30 minutes to fish anywhere. Now no-one ever believes this but I don't fish Wingham for the big fish, it because it is beautiful and very quiet. I live very close to 8 or so pits with bigger tench on a few with bigger bream but I'd soon poke my eyes out than fish at these hell holes (I would be much better off though!)

Now for the really wierd bit, I mourn a loss of a PB or milestone. Its really strange but after catching a big fish I always have a bit of a 'low' as its often something I've been trying to do for a while and now I've done it it kind of leaves a gap!

I know I'm wierd but its good because I don't fish the popular waters I fish lots of lovely places miles away from everyone else and that makes me very happy :D

Rich

In the catfish example above, if the guy was new to the sport and disappointed with a double figure cat, then that is a shame. If he'd been catfishing for some time, had caught loads of doubles and had his mind on a 20, then a 12lber wouldn't quite be what he was after. As long as he treated the fish with respect then that doesn't matter.

The sad thing this was his first Catfish ever and he seemed so keen at the start of the day to catch his first ever Cat of any size. I just don't think it ever dawned on him that they are not all 100lb + monsters from the Ebro :D

I don't want to put on my rose tinted glasses and go all "preacher man" about how fishing was better years ago when I was a boy. We would spend 5 years with an old cane and jam jar catching gudgeon and then progress to a further 5 years targeting Roach and Perch before we even thought about Tench & Carp. Modern fishing is what it is and people come in at a much higher level, well higher level of expectation about what they can catch.

I think its a bit like the argument about fashion magazines having pictures of stick thin women in them. Other women see these super thin super models and seem to think this is the norm and expect some how to change their own body to copy them. They are being fed a dream that is not been realistic for the majority of people.

Fishing magazines are packed with fish that most people will never catch without putting in alot of effort. But there are so many pictures of huge fish that you would think that all you have to do is turn up, chuck a rod in and away you go. That's why its always good if a big picture comes with a little write up, so you find out that the angler holding his prize double figure Bream has actually had to do about a dozen blanking nights to get his prize.

Angling just seems to have become obsessed with numbers, I am an accountant and honestly think I see more numbers in my hobby then I do at work.

The weight of fish has over time become less and less important to me, and as Perch have come up in the topic I tend to judge my Perch on looks(How shallow of me) A Perch with strong colours and nice dark stripes beats a bigger fish that is a little washed out.

(The fact that I have never caught a 4lb Perch is not the reason that I no longer judge a Perch by it's weight :D )

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007

Oh, this should be an interesting topic.

Q1: Do I set myself unrealistic angling targets? Absolutely Yes - I am a pathological dreamer when it comes to Monster Myths.

Q2: Do I get depressed if I do not repeatedly catch bigger and bigger fish? Absolutely No

Q3: Do I understand the difference between Q1 and Q2? Yes, when I cannot then it is time to stop. Dreams should be just dreams.

I do get very happy when I am fortunate to witness other friends PB's though. :D

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

I have always been a bit puzzled about this obsession with precise weights.

I have only ever weighed one fish, at least my fishing partner did, a 29lb 12oz Pike.

I was fishing a deadbait in a lake known to contain pike. By sheer chance my bait was picked up by a large fish. I had no control over that fact and so do not see why it is any more of an achievement than having my bait picked up by a ten lb pike.

I don't possess any scales.

I know when I have caught a good fish or come to that my biggest for a particular species. It wouldn't interest me to know that I had bettered my PB by half an ounce.

I have the memory of catching the fish and to me that is worth more than having a figure to represent it.

By the same token I don't weigh the birds or animals that I shoot either, but I have the memory of taking that fast curling bird, high over my head and watching it fold up to the shot.

Memories last longer than lists ;)

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

This IS a good topic, something I would hope to have come out of my PB topic :D

Rich

Your PB post got me thinking about this. That plus I was going through a pile of old mags that showed some distasteful photos of anglers holding up "prize weight trophy fish" Some of them had distorted bellys full of boilies. The fact that the fish no longer looked normal seemed of no consequence as long as the fish weighed X amount.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Species Caught 2013

Species Caught 2012
Species Caught 2011
Species Caught 2010
Species Caught 2009
Species Caught 2008
Species Caught 2007