Modern Warfare

Elton

Can't remember the last time I played a computer game (I even bought one from an AN member once and never took it out of the packet!), but this one was on the news last night:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8351370.stm

Interesting to see that two Labour MP's have come down firmly either side of the "should it be allowed" debate.

I've got no first-hand knowledge of people heavily into gaming, so I have no idea how it affects their personalities, but I can't imagine it's much different to most of the trash churned out in cinemas.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember the last time I played a computer game

I can, and it's the first I have played for years...that damned Driven Grouse one which Sportsman posted in here. :) and I'm still struggling to get a score of over 35! and that's with the lead shown, I'm trying to cut down to 20 (attempts) a day!

These war ones look far too complicated

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

i played the first modern warefare and it was a good game full of detail and very good fun so i dont see a problem with the second.

i dont know about everyother kid playing it but it didnt turn me into some mindless violent killer who would take an airifle into the streets of war torn edinburgh:)to snipe some civvy..

but thats just me,you never know about other kids but generally most people have enough brains to think for themselves NOT to play silly buggers!

i see the game as art work before anything else and the more realistic it is the more im impressed with the writers of such games.

eitherway most kids(lets face it kids are gonna get it whether its 18RATED or not)are going to play online with friends in this social internet era we have and will not pose a risk to anyone in the real world..

but yes you do get your odd ball but like the chucky thing its VERY minute and usually blamed on something because its an easy target!

they ban this and the tax revenue will be dented and most sane MPs know this!

a case of MPs thinking for us again and nothing to do with a childs welfare,i can think of better ways of protecting children but they choose to ignore many aspects of child abuse but target a game instead!!!

easy target much!!!

besides given GTA and its content i see no differance considering in GTA you can slay millions of civvys and hundreds and hundreds of cops(and DO then kill prostitutes) but that didnt seem to bother MPs (strange really)maybe a hidden agenda with this game issue though!

maybe it states somewhere in the new game how pointless the iraq war was???dunno really

nuke em i say!!it would have been quicker and any survivers couldnt return for 35yrs odd due to radiation(job done

Edited by billy50000

sod everyone else,do it anyway:)

sod duck season lets have tvla season!

capita beware(thiefs with badges)

e7b81d_666666.gif

anphotologo.jpg

I can, and it's the first I have played for years...that damned Driven Grouse one which Sportsman posted in here. :) and I'm still struggling to get a score of over 35! and that's with the lead shown, I'm trying to cut down to 20 (attempts) a day!

Have to say I'm with yourself on this one! The grouse one is I reckon better than some of the shooting ones I DID buy!! Only one which comes close which I used to play on a regular basis is a Turkey shooting sim. Set in the USA somewhere?? I remember asking Newt WHY the hunters wore the orange dayglow clothing?? Apparently that is so they don't B****Y shoot each other!! The birds of course being colour blind!

Yes tried the War sims and FAR too complicated for moi!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

if it wasn't for games youd still be using a 286 with 640k of memory.

the games as they come out demand more resources and hardware ,you don't need a quad processor and 3 graphics cards to run word do you ;)

i enjoy them especially the strategic ones but the odd venture online to snipe (with a gun not words) at others is entertaining.

some say war gaming is damaging people ,well i can assure you the real games the gov play abroad is damaging far more!

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Me, I stick to five card draw poker and fishing games.

I have a PS2, a Nintendo DS AND a Wii (present for my birthday) and struggle to find games that will stimulate my mind, although the brain train games are quite good.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Guest Brumagem Phil

Try bejeweled blitz on facebook, it'll happily take up hours of your time and its dead easy to play. :D

There was an item about this on the Today programme on Radio 4 this morning. Apparently what's causing the fuss is a scenario in which the player is supposed to be infiltrating a terrorist organisation. The terrorists are shooting innocent civilians at an airport and the implication appears to be that your character is going to stand out if he doesn't join in with the killing.

The rep from the games company seemed quite proud of the fact that the game writer had made it an option that the player didn't *have* to join in with the killing!

This debate is really no different from the one that's been going on for decades about whether or not violent images help to foster violence in susceptible individuals. Even Tom & Jerry cartoons came under fire (sorry!) for this in the 1980s.

The answer has to be that a tiny number of psychopaths might be inspired to go out on a killing spree after playing such games, but that they might do that anyway.

Stanley Kubrick voluntarily withdrew his film Clockwork Orange in response to just this sort of criticism but now it's freely available and has been shown on mainstream TV (uncut) several times. Nobody seems to be dressing up as Droogs and beating tramps to death as a result, though.

Guest Brumagem Phil
Stanley Kubrick voluntarily withdrew his film Clockwork Orange in response to just this sort of criticism but now it's freely available and has been shown on mainstream TV (uncut) several times. Nobody seems to be dressing up as Droogs and beating tramps to death as a result, though.

But our society is a far more violent place these days. There has to be a reason/reasons for this. I'm sure constant violent images must in some way desensitize us to violence. Not saying its the only influence but I'm sure it must have an effect.

But our society is a far more violent place these days.

Have a rummage through the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, Phil - London was a seriously violent place in the old days, with many no-go areas where even the police feared to go, never mind innocent citizens:

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/

I agree, though, there did seem to be less violence around when I was growing up in London in the 50s and 60s, but that might have been a little "Golden Age" in comparison to before and since.