Fireline braid

CaptainBlue

Does anyone use fireline hooklinks instead of nylon and standard braid for carp, tench hook link rigs ?

The diameter is less and fireline’s very strong. Although I'm wondering if a more supple hooklink would be less abrasive. I used a low diameter fireline 0.10mm for bream. I was surprised when the hook link snapped off at the swivel. Another drawback with the low diameter is that you can hardly see it and it's so fiddly.

Mark

Stockholm, Sweden.

(Ex North Met Pit, Cheshunt local lad)

Fireline is very stiff. You're better off with a nice soft braid.

Personally, I never found low diameter that important for bottom fishing and of course, very low diameter lines risk cutting into the fish.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Fireline is very stiff. You're better off with a nice soft braid.

Personally, I never found low diameter that important for bottom fishing and of course, very low diameter lines risk cutting into the fish.

I agree with you Ken. Fine braids have damaged a lot of mouths over the years.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I was surprised when the hook link snapped off at the swivel.

It may be becuase you used a half blood knot or grinner for swivel link - if so, use a palomar knot instead. I agree with others that fine braid is not a good idea as a hook length. Use monofil for float fishing or light legering, & thick braid for legering with bolt rigs etc..

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Definitely don't use braided main line material for hook lengths its a lot more likely to cut.I learned the hard way with one carp and several bream.The bream incidentally were caught by accidentally whilst cat fishing. Also be careful of some of the braids advertised as hook length materials if they are of the "flat" profile type.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks guys, never thought of the fish care aspect. Never caught that many fish I suppose.

So what do you rate as the best braid for hook links ? Main target is bream, big ones, but I don't want to go too heavy.

Mark

Stockholm, Sweden.

(Ex North Met Pit, Cheshunt local lad)

No good asking me Capt! I'm still looking.I'm not even sure that a braided hook link is needed for big bream.When using small baits the an ultra limp one that doesn't affect the way the baited hook moves in the water definitely helps if you have a longer hook length but not an issue at all if you only use short bolt type set ups.

On one water (where I have had in excess of 50 doubles I used an 8lb mono mainline with a 5lb (diameter of around 2.5-3lb normal mono) hi tech hook length (Tortue Narcrita) with a soft 1 3/3lb rod.Worked well but I cant honestly say if I wouldn't have done so well with the 8lb all the way through as baits were quite big (a couple of dendrobaenas on a size 8) or lots of corn on the same or large lumps of bread flake on size 6.

During the day I managed to catch as well but by dropping down to lighter rods and 3lb all the way through.

I don't think "seeing" the line is the issue.

My PB of 15.13 was taken on 8lb mono main line and 6lb mono hook link.Light (as in the hi tech 8 and below lines) don't work with braided main lines as the lack of stretch just doesn't cushion them enough.The lighter braided hook lengths don't either!

I first looked at trying the same as you.The idea of a 10lb Spiderwire hook length (around the same diameter as 2lb mono) really appealed but all the braids back then floated and "blobbing" them with putty to sink them kind of defeated the whole point! Ive tried the modern fine sinking braided hook lengths but the 8lb Drennan stuff I tried wasn't man enough.I believe Richard uses the 12 ok though.

I'm not sure the water I'm currently fishing needs this ultra fine hook length but old habbits and confidences die hard.At the moment I'm back to mono main lines (despite using braid for most jobs) to give me the cushioning I need and 8lb Stroft hook lengths (cant remember equivalent normal mono size).But Ive not caught anything on this set up yet so cant draw any conclusions.

Take a look at the long running bream thread on here.All though mainly about SB's (Super Bream) there is plenty there that you may find helpful in regard to "normal" big bream.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks guys, never thought of the fish care aspect. Never caught that many fish I suppose.

So what do you rate as the best braid for hook links ? Main target is bream, big ones, but I don't want to go too heavy.

I use Drennan Sink Braid in 10lb for both tench and bream, and have lots of confidence in it. I have caught a couple of big bream using it and lots of good (and hard fighting!) tench. It sinks well, is extremely soft and supple, and blends very well into the bottom (especially over gravel). I tie a grinner/uni knot at the swivel end and a knotless knot at the hook end.

The only thing to be aware of is that after a few fish it can start to fray around the hook eye (when tied with a knotless knot). If/when that happens, don't risk it, switch to a new hooklength.

I use a lot of this stuff but one spool lasts me a season. Pretty good for less than a fiver.

https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/drennan-super-sp...aid-p-1243.html

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Are you fishing a bolt rig for these big bream? If you are the Drennan Sink Braid in 10lb as Anderoo recommends I've found to be OK. Even though bream don't fight much, if you fish lighter hook lengths on a bolt rig you risk getting snap on the take.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Just to flag up the earlier point about knots. Arbocop is right, yu can't use the knots that you'd normally use fir mono when you change over to braid because they will fail. There are lots of options that will work but do the reasearch and go with a safe option that works for you.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.