Zander Record

JV44

Having seen the pics, prior to reading this thread, I wouldn't give the guy 14lb......let alone 22lb!

Why do they do it???

Because a lot of the time the captor doesnt know any better so doesnt even think to check his weighing and the papers dont give a damn if it weighs it or not as the head line that says "Record" sells a lot more copy than the one that says "14lb"! (and maybe just maybe half of their staff wouldnt know any better either. :rolleyes:

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the recycling bin.

Let's just hope that my, admittedly secondhand, copy of the AT gets reincarnated into something worth reading in it's next life. ;)

I always used to get a perverse kick out of using them to wipe my arse with......especially Pig Faces regular feature in the Mail! Now I just don't buy them as the Mail is the better read of the two (or more accurately "less bad") but its glossier paper just spreads the sh1te and the AT (although having the far better old "broad sheet style paper) is simply already full of sh1te when I get it.................I'm on Andrex now,better for bum hygiene and possibly more informative about angling.

I always used to get a perverse kick out of using them to wipe my arse with......especially Pig Faces regular feature in the Mail! Now I just don't buy them as the Mail is the better read of the two (or more accurately "less bad") but its glossier paper just spreads the sh1te and the AT (although having the far better old "broad sheet style paper) is simply already full of sh1te when I get it.................I'm on Andrex now,better for bum hygiene and possibly more informative about angling.

:lol:

The debate - including input from the captor - is raging here: http://www.totalcoarsefishing.com/cgi-bin/...um=1257811446/0

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Yes I think you are right, hauling them up from depth does play havoc with there swim bladders, but I remember watching a Matt Hayes program about Zander fishing in holland or Finland and they returned the fish by chucking them up in the air, so they went head first torpedo style back in to the water and they claimed this fixed the problem.

Have to admit I was not 100% convinced whether this works or not and were they just easing their conscience by assuming it did. But your point about hauling them up from depth and the other posts about bringing them to the bank to weigh does raise an issue.

If deep caught Zander need to go back quickly to sort out their swim bladder problems, then taking them all the way to the bank to record the details would most likely result in a fish death!

We seem to have a number of inter linking threads going on at the moment around size, PB's etc and they all seem to raise the same issues.

So if the swim bladder thing is true, and the quick torpedo return corrects this and you need to get them to the bank to weigh them. Should the angler risk the death of the fish to be able to claim the record :(

Can categorically state that the torpedo release most certainly doesnt work all the time. It does occassionally, but its also extremely difficult to do with anything other than a fairly small zander. Far better option in my opinion is to vent the swim bladder (basically pop with a sharp needle), this certainly allows the fish to get back to depth quickly so that the as can be expelled from the bloodstream. I was speaking to some Dutch guys in Ireland and they reckoned that this worked the best too, but that even this isnt 100% and there are a large percentage that die, possibly as much as 50/50 ratio.

As regards the record. I dont think that the guy has deliberately set out to make a false claim, but I think that he has had a pretty decent fish and somehow cocked the weighing up, possibly because he hadnt seen one before and couldnt believe what the scales were saying. zander do tend to look very impressive in the flesh and much like their close cousin the perch, they look big for their weight. I think a mixture of unfamiliarity with the species and perhaps dodgy scales has lead to a genuine mistake, which is a shame as it would have made a nice story.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

In the recycling bin.

Let's just hope that my, admittedly secondhand, copy of the AT gets reincarnated into something worth reading in it's next life. ;)

Yes. Like a bus ticket. :D

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I'm not sure of the name of the method but I'm aware of a method by which deep water fish are released in sunnier climes (Oz I believe) by attaching a large lead to the leader and an 'unhooking rig' that sinks the fish rapidly on release and prevents such problems.

I didn't realise it could be a problem with freshwater fish in (compared with sea-fishing) relatively shallow water :rolleyes:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

The angler knows he has caught a good fish. Who else does he need to impress?

No one if he keeps it to himself but if he wants the percieved kudos of claiming a record he needs to "impress" the angling world that the fish was the weight claimed.

Can categorically state that the torpedo release most certainly doesn't work all the time. It does occasionally, but its also extremely difficult to do with anything other than a fairly small zander. Far better option in my opinion is to vent the swim bladder (basically pop with a sharp needle), this certainly allows the fish to get back to depth quickly so that the as can be expelled from the bloodstream. I was speaking to some Dutch guys in Ireland and they reckoned that this worked the best too, but that even this isn't 100% and there are a large percentage that die, possibly as much as 50/50 ratio.

Cant comment on Zeds but Ive never been that keen on puncturing the swim bladder of pike like is sometimes recommended.True a very fine needle hole is most likely self sealing but that in its own right kind of defeats the point.Not had many cases on the TR's I fish but have on the Scottish lochs.Here Ive had a few that have been caught trolling below 50' whilst after Ferrox.Best results Ive had have been to put them straight in a tube and send them down as deep as possible on the anchor rope.