perching

viney

Interested in the cockle thing though. I've been thinking about cockles for barbel - anyone had barbel on them?

Budgie - I went through a bit of a 'phase' with cockles about 10 years ago - used them a LOT on the river - had some mighty fine chub on them, some perch as already stated - and for a time my PB brownie was cockle caught. Never had a barbel on them however (and boy I tried!).

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Never caught a perch on spicey meat, In fact i cant ever recall getting any on meat full stop. However i have had a couple of decent ones one trout pellets when carping. Though it was from a heavily fished lake.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Budgie - I went through a bit of a 'phase' with cockles about 10 years ago - used them a LOT on the river - had some mighty fine chub on them, some perch as already stated - and for a time my PB brownie was cockle caught. Never had a barbel on them however (and boy I tried!).

C.

It was me Chris, not Budgie, but thanks for your response - on the basis fo your experiment I think I'll abandon the cockles for barbel ! Interesting that you caught lots of chub and perch though. I assume that you leger or freeline them.

Did you have to bait up with them loads before they accept them or did they work without loads of baiting up? I note that you said it was about 10 years ago - I imagine that the crayfish population wasn't what it is now. They would surely get scoffed by crayfish in spring/summer, and it would only work as a winter bait?

Edited by arbocop

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

It was me Chris, not Budgie, but thanks for your response - on the basis fo your experiment I think I'll abandon the cockles for barbel ! Interesting that you caught lots of chub and perch though. I assume that you leger or freeline them.

Did you have to bait up with them loads before they accept them or did they work without loads of baiting up? I note that you said it was about 10 years ago - I imagine that the crayfish population wasn't what it is now. They would surely get scoffed by crayfish in spring/summer, and it would only work as a winter bait?

I baited up quite a bit with them - was buying frozen kilo blocks of cockles at the time - however I once stalked a 4lb chub on cockles - freelined a cockle to it and it was snaffled immediately! My PB trout was similarly captured (I thought it was a chub!)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I've caught lots of perch this year on floatfished luncheonmeat from my local gravel pit, including several low 2's. One afternoon early this autumn I had 8 sizeable perch to 1½lb on luncheonmeat, my best perch haul ever. I made sure I took worms on the next trip, and then couldn't get through the double figure carp :rolleyes:.

i have always heard people on about catching decent perch on leather jackets (daddy long legs larva) but i have only ever found about 2 or 3 of the things and never had enough success with them to bother looking for more

the only other bait i have used and had a few perch apart from maggots and worm is prawns

i have always heard people on about catching decent perch on leather jackets (daddy long legs larva) but i have only ever found about 2 or 3 of the things and never had enough success with them to bother looking for more

the only other bait i have used and had a few perch apart from maggots and worm is prawns

Prawns are suppossed to be good, gave them a try twice on commercials but the Carp git them long before I saw a single Perch.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek