HALIBUT AT WHITBY

big_cod

There have been some crackers off the whitby charterboats this summer back in june there was 9 or 10 halibut caught all within 5 miles off the shore the best was a halibut which topped the scales at 50lb these two were both over 30lb.

This one was caught on squid on 2 dogs.

halibut001.jpg

This one was caught on trot on on a shad.

halibut1.jpg

paul.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Are they from your boat, Paul?

From what I hear, they're cracking sport!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I was surprised to learn that they are pack hunters, catch one and you're likely to catch more. Went all the way to Norway and didnt catch one - should have gone to Whitby!!!

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

should have gone to Whitby!!!

They should use that as the town logo :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Are they from your boat, Paul?

From what I hear, they're cracking sport!

No elton two dogs and trot on i got one on a jigger a few years ago and it nearly had me over the side i was fishing on the front off sea-otter2 when i got a halibut beleive me they have one hell of a run.

paul.

Untitled-1.jpg

http://www.wcsa.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/hal...ing-on-trot-on/

There has been quite a few over the past few years. A very memorable one was the lad on tina dawn who never paid to enter the angling festival as he said he never usually catches anything. Then he landed a port record halibut and missed out on the £1500 prize money.

This summer there seemed to be about 1 a week and some half decent ones to, upto about 50lb which isnt bad seen as though people are not targeting them (They are catching them by mistake when cod fishing). I think it needs someone like our local big fish expert Rupert Drury to do a bit of research on them and to target them properly over a long time period.

I was talking to the lad who caught a 30lb halibut from a private boat only a few miles out of Whitby this summer. I was amazed he caught the fish as the conditions were terrible. There had been heavy rain and the sea was like milky tea with a biggish tide and a good Westerly blowing!

He must have just dropped his bait straight in front of it I reckon, but that's fishing.

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

I was talking to the lad who caught a 30lb halibut from a private boat only a few miles out of Whitby this summer. I was amazed he caught the fish as the conditions were terrible. There had been heavy rain and the sea was like milky tea with a biggish tide and a good Westerly blowing!

He must have just dropped his bait straight in front of it I reckon, but that's fishing.

Alan

Yes you are right alan its the guy in the first photo he was fishing on private boat called snow goose 3 mile off the high lights i took that photo on our pontoon when he came in i was amaized where he said he caught it because as you say it was big tide and water was milky but its the same old story with fishing if your names on it its yours.

paul.

Edited by big_cod

Untitled-1.jpg

I've heard people mention that the Halibut is a predator, a hunter type fish which chases live baits. If they are anything like bass then water clarity will be no issue to them and there senses will be finely tuned to detect the slightest movement in the water regardless of whether they can see it or not.

http://www.whitbyseaanglers.co.uk/forum/in...p?topic=10793.0

I used to think that bass only took in clear water but since then I have seen them take in the dirtiest water you ever saw, and I now believe that the optimum clarity for shore fishing in our region is "Milky" which has convinced me that sight is not their only asset when it comes to hunting. Maybe Halibut are the same ?? Some times to catch other species you have to wipe the cod rules out of your head and start with a very open mind.

Edited by glennk

• 2 weeks later...

Small halibut 'chickens' can be pack hunters, but most large halibut are solitary fish. They will chase a baitfish up through 100 metres of water and hit it on the surface no problem - I've seen a 350-pounder (est) smacking hell out of a 20lb coalfish on the surface in Norway - I even managed to cast a livebait at it cos it was on the surface for so long, but I didn't hook the bugger!

One thing I have learned about the halibut is that they hate metal - so use a soft bait like squid or a live coalie, or a shad if you want to catch one - throw away your pirks! You'll find that most of the halibut caught on 'pirks' in Norway are actually hooked on the soft Gummi Mac lure fished at the top end of the pirk. A soon as they taste metal they spit the lure.

I'm up this week Paul, and I wanna talk o you about dates next summer for a proper look for the big butts!

Speak soon