Planted Tank

Steve Walker

How come you've got clown loach in a Amazonian set up ? I know it doesn't matter but some people have all the correct species in a set up. I used to be totally obsessed with aquaruims and had several large ones in the house. My largest was 6ftx2ftx2ft and that was a marine set up. I loved the marine tanks and only ever lost one lipstick tang that I'd tacken to try and revive it. My fish all used to grow to large for the tanks and I was continually swapping them for smalller specimines. Favourites where my clown triggers, blue faced angels and my emperor angals....loved em all though.

Great hobby but very addictive !!

How come you've got clown loach in a Amazonian set up ?

Originally, because we had snail problems and there are no Amazonian species which will deal with that.

Subsequently, because my wife loves them and insisted upon having some ;)

What's the CO2 system for Steve? Used to keep fish myself but never heard of that system.

Plants need CO2 to photosynthesise. By artificially boosting CO2 levels in the tank, you can get much better growth of your plants.

Subsequently, because my wife loves them and insisted upon having some ;)

Yeah I know what you mean, I did the same because I liked them ;)

I had a shoal of about a dozen all approximatly 5 to 6 inches in length. For some reason they remind me of barbel. I used to blow mine up with live blood worm and it was great watching them grubbing about to get them. I think I'll get myself another tank this summer but as I said there addictive and I find they take over your life !

I finnished up with them in every room :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
That's impressive, Steve. It will be interesting to see how long you can keep it looking so good.

Well, it's been through some horrific algae problems and come out the other side (partly thanks to some siamese algae eaters and amano shrimps). It's also been through a really nasty white spot infection after we foolishly treated some new fish from another dealer with the same lack of caution we should reserve for our trusted supplier - there's nothing like the sinking feeling when you realise that the fish you've just put in without quarantining or even looking too closely at is infected :wallbash: That's a hard lesson, we lost some nice fish we'd had for a long time - it's easy to get complacent about these things when you are used to dealing with someone who will never sell a dodgy fish.

Anyway, this is how it looks now, with the foreground planting growing well:

wholetank.jpg

SAE.jpg

SAE2.jpg

shrimp.jpg

cabomba.jpg

corner.jpg

cory1.jpg

cory2.jpg

cory3.jpg

grass.jpg

grass2.jpg

greenery.jpg

greenery2.jpg

java2.jpg

moss.jpg

rummy.jpg

Well, it's been through some horrific algae problems and come out the other side (partly thanks to some siamese algae eaters and amano shrimps). It's also been through a really nasty white spot infection after we foolishly treated some new fish from another dealer with the same lack of caution we should reserve for our trusted supplier - there's nothing like the sinking feeling when you realise that the fish you've just put in without quarantining or even looking too closely at is infected :wallbash: That's a hard lesson, we lost some nice fish we'd had for a long time - it's easy to get complacent about these things when you are used to dealing with someone who will never sell a dodgy fish.
Nice do see a few different species of my favourite aquarium fish.

Intersting report on new research on Ichthyophthirius multifiliis here.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

That is a very interesting article indeed - the strain I have has proven very recalcitrant to conventional malachite green / formalin treatment. Only a combination of high temperatures and possibly dangerously frequent dosing with mg/f seems to have worked - a high risk strategy, but nothing else worked, including dimetridazole and high temperatures alone. If it is possible to treat it by knocking out the endosymbionts, and preferably at all life stages, not just the free swimming stage, that would be a huge movement forwards - especially since malachite green and dimetridazole are now banned in aquaculture.

The Corydoras have spawned several times - probably the bronzes - but we've seen no fry. I've had them breed in the past, though. Fantastic little fish!

Edited by Steve Walker

...dimetridazole...
I hope you kept them off the booze ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

I share my booze with no fish! :lol:
Killjoy!

Youtube Video ->