River in Flood

SpecimenSean

What happens when a river is in flood, fishing wise. I hear a lot about people not fishing when a river has raised up a bit. Why is this, and is this a general thing or just for specific rivers? What type (size, flow, depth) of rivers are affected most by this and are there any benefits to a river in flood?

Bsically, im on the Goyt tomorrow, but its been raining for 24hrs nrly! Help please :)

gone

What happens when a river is in flood, fishing wise. I hear a lot about people not fishing when a river has raised up a bit. Why is this, and is this a general thing or just for specific rivers? What type (size, flow, depth) of rivers are affected most by this and are there any benefits to a river in flood?

Bsically, im on the Goyt tomorrow, but its been raining for 24hrs nrly! Help please :)

Cant help with the Goyt, I don't know it. I read i your other topic post ( *NEED TIPS*) that its got grayling, chub and barbel in it. If its well up and coloured grayling wont feed and chub fishing will be hard work, which leaves you with barbel to go at. Anything else in there?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Cant help with the Goyt, I don't know it. I read i your other topic post ( *NEED TIPS*) that its got grayling, chub and barbel in it. If its well up and coloured grayling wont feed and chub fishing will be hard work, which leaves you with barbel to go at. Anything else in there?

Roach, Perch, Trout and the usual small fry.

gone

Roach, Perch, Trout and the usual small fry.

I'd try fishing slacker areas and creases between fast and slack water. For bait I'd use worm as pretty much everything will eat worm, giving the best chance of catching!

Rich

I would tend to agree with Richard, Worms would be a good choice of bait if the rivers high and coloured. They are one of those natural things that get washed into the river during floods. And the fish do tend to get on them. Though you may find the fishing quite hard if you don't know the stretch.

Look for the slacker parts on the bends etc, This is where most of the fish will tend to be. Out of the main flow. and it will be easier to present your bait.. Perseverance is the hardest thing in flood conditions. It can be very frustrating with all the false bites from debris coming down the flow and can be very easy to give up. and go home ,But there's something very rewarding about a flood caught chub or barbel.

One thing i will say and i think Ive said it a few times before, And i speak from personal experience. Flooded rivers are very dangerous places. So watch your step on the banks.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Big smelly baits (lobs, cheesepaste, luncheon meat), stout tackle, slack/slow water and being very mobile, trying lots of spots.

Oddly, bread can be a good bait in flood conditions. I had a very nice session on a flooded Thames a couple of seasons back quivertipping flake and feeding mash in a little near-bank slack behind an overhanging tree.

EDIT: this was an evening session, fishing into the first hour of darkness.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

River was fine and ended up having a good day, 7 chub nothing under a lb biggest around 4lb and a few nice grayling. No barbel though :(

I have to say, im quickly falling in love with river fishing. Im a carp angler by design, but fishing a river seems so much more like actual fishing. Theres so much more going on than on a comercial fishery, fishing wise and wildlife as well. Birds, animals, noises. Silence :) And im really getting into roving as well. Hunting fish!

Cheers guys

A very happy, Sean

gone

Good to hear you had a good day. Theres a lot more to fishing than just carping. Sitting behind a battery of rods waiting for something to happen. On the river its down to you and you can make things happen. The true essence of fishing i belive comes from knowledge and water craft and i think theres no beter place to hone them than on the river. Aspects that you learn all go towards improving you chances where ever you fish. Even when carping.

One more of us one less of them lol :D

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.