line wrapped round the top rod rings

The Flying Tench

Strange topic.

Its one of those things That happens, Always have, And always will. What ever super dooper line you use. Or what ever rod you got. Its part of casting drill isnt it?

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

1.Thats a long way to go to catch nuisance fish..

2. suppose the brisbane river will have carp too...

1. There is no such thing as "nuisance fish" to a 9-y-old on his first fishing trip - just the start of a long journey through a fishing life that hopefully will be full of incident.

Always start kids with something easy. After we had a dozen cats each yesterday, today he progressed to spinning, and in came a Lesser Flathead Gudgeon - an Australian native, and a fish I envied, as I have yet to catch one. Had to be content with a snub-nosed garfish myself.

2. Thankfully, there do not seem to be many carp in the Brisbane. However, when we move on to the Murray system in Victoria in a fortnight's time, I expect to catch some of these real "nuisance fish" during my quest for more Australian native fish. If I do, I will abide by Aussie rules, bang all carp (and brown goldfish) on the head, and bury them in a spot where they can rot and enrich the soil for the benefit of Australian native flora.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Strange topic.

Its one of those things That happens, Always have, And always will. What ever super dooper line you use. Or what ever rod you got. Its part of casting drill isnt it?

A lot of problems that were thought to be unsurmountable may have remained so if they hadn't been discussed. There might even be help for The Flying Tench in Vagabond's reply to the problem.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

1. There is no such thing as "nuisance fish" to a 9-y-old on his first fishing trip - just the start of a long journey through a fishing life that hopefully will be full of incident.

Always start kids with something easy. After we had a dozen cats each yesterday, today he progressed to spinning, and in came a Lesser Flathead Gudgeon - an Australian native, and a fish I envied, as I have yet to catch one. Had to be content with a snub-nosed garfish myself.

2. Thankfully, there do not seem to be many carp in the Brisbane. However, when we move on to the Murray system in Victoria in a fortnight's time, I expect to catch some of these real "nuisance fish" during my quest for more Australian native fish. If I do, I will abide by Aussie rules, bang all carp (and brown goldfish) on the head, and bury them in a spot where they can rot and enrich the soil for the benefit of Australian native flora.

No, no carp in those parts much to bobj's delight but, as you say, you will find them in Victoria and, if you go there, South Australia too.

I quite like the Queensland cats too. No where near as desirable as the barramundi I was chasing when I caught them, but they take a worked deadbait and they fight well so I didn't consider them to be that much of a nuisence.

How is the weather there? I went to Kalgoorlie during the week and it was 42C on both of the days I was there! That was a shock after the 29C it was when I left home.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Does everyone get this? particularly when it's windy.

I put on a new bait, and then discover that the line has got hooked over the first or second ring from the tip. Occasionally I can flick it over, but usually i have to pull the rod in like a pole so the butt is 12 feet behind me. Not too big a problem in most swims, but if you're trying to fish through a little gap in the trees the scope for getting caught up in brambles etc is big.

I can't imagine there are any easy answers, but thought I'd ask.............

I dare say that the main cause of this is line twist,at some point the line will try and straighten itself,normally at the most inconvenient point(the rod tip).I have found that there are times you can avoid it happening(eg.when rebaiting)by keeping the line under tension..There are times however when it's unavoidable(unhooking a fish etc.)