protection

barry luxton

Thanks for that Cory and for the news that Symantec has finally gotten Norton back to a stage where someone might actually enjoy using it. It went downhill fast after Peter Norton sold out to Symantec.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that Cory and for the news that Symantec has finally gotten Norton back to a stage where someone might actually enjoy using it. It went downhill fast after Peter Norton sold out to Symantec.
Now that is a blast from the past. I used to rescue deleted files using Norton Disk Editor. I learned a lot from reading Peter Norton's books and from 'playing' with Norton Utilities.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

• 3 weeks later...
Norton used to have a deserved reputation as a bit of a resource hog,

That's why I went to AVG.

I was getting reminders from AVG last month to upgrade by the end of November, but they wanted paying.

I waited till December 1st, deleted the old application and downloaded the new one FREE.

They all try it on!

After experiencing the way that the virus writers picked on Outlook Express, I'm a bit wary of asking Microsoft to keep any virus at bay!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

You can now download Microsoft's own antivirus solution free of charge.

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

I've been running it for a while, seems OK.

I was already to go with microsoft, however my computer man said wait a while as it is relativly new. He kindly removed norton from me machine and installed a free version of comodo as that is the same as he is running. Although i do use c cleaner and defrag etc, He also cleared out all of the old clutter that i had accumulated during the year. He done it by remote and it was brilliant to see him buzzing around me machine. So it all appears to be working well and that makes me a happy bunny.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

About a month on now using Microsoft Security Essentials which is free and which does automatic updates.

I removed AVG (the free version) to install Security Essentials and to say that I like it is a massive understatement. Most decent AV programs will give protection but this one does it using almost no system resources. 2.6 Mb for the running .exe and CPU useage remains at virtually zero except for the brief increase when it updates.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Yes, I'm also still pretty happy with MSE too. It would be my default choice now.

One thing I would say to people chopping and changing AV protection is that these programs put hooks into the operating system at a fairly low level, and don't always seem to uninstall cleanly - given the choice, I would always rather change AV software in conjunction with a clean rebuild. This PC is overdue a rebuild, so I just uninstalled AVG and slapped MSE on, but I will soon redo it with a clean install.

barry,

I work for currys and as a group we support norton, iv never been a big fan of it before but the new 2010 version actually looks quite good. a couple of good things about it is that its only £23.45 it also has 3 licences and finally its a complete internet security not just an antivirus so you get your firewall and spyware all included.

Things to look out for do you do internet banking? if yes banks will not pay out for card fraud on free downloaded antiviruses like avg because they havent been tested. also its just an antivirus not internet security and il be honest the avg isnt very good so i would recommend anyone who has it take it off. weve had them in store with avg before and the virus scan had found no virus we then ran norton and the worse one iv seen had 74 trogans on the hard drive. (no gives the best things away for free lol)

also they do stop pop ups but not reminder ones from their own company annoying yes but you can see why they do it :D

if i was gettin one i would probably now go for the new norton 2010 but mcafee or kapersky arnt bad either but alway buy one because if its still in warranty some companies get funny about fixing comps with out a " proper" antivirus

hope that helps

www.prostate-cancer.org.uk Real Men Know About It

barry,

I work for currys and as a group we support norton, iv never been a big fan of it before but the new 2010 version actually looks quite good. a couple of good things about it is that its only £23.45 it also has 3 licences and finally its a complete internet security not just an antivirus so you get your firewall and spyware all included.

Things to look out for do you do internet banking? if yes banks will not pay out for card fraud on free downloaded antiviruses like avg because they havent been tested. also its just an antivirus not internet security and il be honest the avg isnt very good so i would recommend anyone who has it take it off. weve had them in store with avg before and the virus scan had found no virus we then ran norton and the worse one iv seen had 74 trogans on the hard drive. (no gives the best things away for free lol)

also they do stop pop ups but not reminder ones from their own company annoying yes but you can see why they do it :D

if i was gettin one i would probably now go for the new norton 2010 but mcafee or kapersky arnt bad either but alway buy one because if its still in warranty some companies get funny about fixing comps with out a " proper" antivirus

hope that helps

Hello Ian, thanks for the info, i have said in this topic that i would like to have stayed with Norton, but there is a compatability issue with my service provider. So either i needed new software or change to another internet provider. I do have a free one at present, however i want to go back to a paid one and havn't made up my mind as yet. Mcaffee is recommended by aol, they might be the choice.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

norton was a hog in the 2005 version but since then i have had no problems ,for the laast few days my machine was playing up so i reinstalled but for some reason i couldnt get 2007 to install ,used their fine chatline and they installed 2010 free of charge with my remaining days from 2007 still there ,even had an indian chap phone up to check all was well ,cannot fault them ...ever

it maybe worth while to use their online chat to see if theres a cure available for AOL users generally its bloody AOL being the problem rather than the software as some sites remark about

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

norton was a hog in the 2005 version but since then i have had no problems ,for the laast few days my machine was playing up so i reinstalled but for some reason i couldnt get 2007 to install ,used their fine chatline and they installed 2010 free of charge with my remaining days from 2007 still there ,even had an indian chap phone up to check all was well ,cannot fault them ...ever

it maybe worth while to use their online chat to see if theres a cure available for AOL users generally its bloody AOL being the problem rather than the software as some sites remark about

Instead of them working together to arrive at fully protected system they are fighting each other, there was some download i could have used but because norton lied on their sales pitch i decided to change. I just know if both of them wanted to they could sort it out in a blink of an eye. I really don't want to change me isp so norton had to go. If you look at the cpu usage while Norton is running, it now takes up very little space. A very good product but not for me, unfortunatly.