Auto to Manual in one easy step . . .

Sutton Warrior

As you will have noticed, we have had a fairly lively discussion re the subject of Auto-Manual etc. Now I have always tended towards auto or semi-auto. Steve explaining his method of selecting manual, setting ISO and an 'f' number say f8, and then twiddling the control, looking through the viewfinder and bringing the meter to zero, click, a well exposed picture . . . Initially one was sceptical, however, after a little experimenting I found the D80 responded OK . . . . I wondered how the D40x would fair, considering its cut down functions?

Well, after a little head scratching, and 'destruction manual thumbing', I recon it has the advantage over the D80, there are two buttons on the top just behind the shutter release, not well described in the manual, however, press one and it allows the aperture to be set, press the other and the shutter is adjusted by the control wheel to match the aperture and ISO, the meter comes to zero . . . click, crash, bang wallop . . . :P

The D40 has been much maligned by photographers as not having enough 'control over function'. I dont know if I have stumbled on something, but to me its so easy to use in 'manual mode', offering the same if not better functionality than the D80? I cant wait to get both cameras out and give them a hose around. The other option I found in the D40x, is a classic functions display, on the rear screen, have never liked the modern version. Its big, bold and ideal for my aging eyes, the small old fashioned style shoulder display (very 90's) on the D80 is difficult to read in sunlight, and when my eyes get tired. I've been considering the D40x on and off for a while because it is potentially lighter . . . I wonder . . . Less is more? :)

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

As you will have noticed, we have had a fairly lively discussion re the subject of Auto-Manual etc. Now I have always tended towards auto or semi-auto. Steve explaining his method of selecting manual, setting ISO and an 'f' number say f8, and then twiddling the control, looking through the viewfinder and bringing the meter to zero, click, a well exposed picture . . . Initially one was sceptical, however, after a little experimenting I found the D80 responded OK . . . . I wondered how the D40x would fair, considering its cut down functions?

Well, after a little head scratching, and 'destruction manual thumbing', I recon it has the advantage over the D80, there are two buttons on the top just behind the shutter release, not well described in the manual, however, press one and it allows the aperture to be set, press the other and the shutter is adjusted by the control wheel to match the aperture and ISO, the meter comes to zero . . . click, crash, bang wallop . . . :P

The D40 has been much maligned by photographers as not having enough 'control over function'. I dont know if I have stumbled on something, but to me its so easy to use in 'manual mode', offering the same if not better functionality than the D80? I cant wait to get both cameras out and give them a hose around. The other option I found in the D40x, is a classic functions display, on the rear screen, have never liked the modern version. Its big, bold and ideal for my aging eyes, the small old fashioned style shoulder display (very 90's) on the D80 is difficult to read in sunlight, and when my eyes get tired. I've been considering the D40x on and off for a while because it is potentially lighter . . . I wonder . . . Less is more? :)

SW

SW, when you take a picture and view it on the back display window if the highlights are flashing what do you change to take the next shot so its not blown out.

Iv'e tried different things but cant get to the bottom of it.

D40X

Cheers Fred

Edited by Clifftop

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

SW, when you take a picture and view it on the back display window if the highlights are flashing what do you change to take the next shot so its not blown out.

Iv'e tried different things but cant get to the bottom of it.

D40X

Cheers Fred

I usually knock back with exposure compensation a tad. I run both cameras at -0.3 or -0.7 anyway, depends on how bright the sun is? I wonder if its a function of JPG? dont know, but JPG does burn highlights out???? May be, try a tad under exposed and shoot in RAW, then restore on the computer? . . . :huh::huh: Yes Fred, I did type that, now going to wash my mouth with soap . . . :rolleyes::lol:

SW

I usually knock back with exposure compensation a tad. I run both cameras at -0.3 or -0.7 anyway, depends on how bright the sun is? I wonder if its a function of JPG? dont know, but JPG does burn highlights out???? May be, try a tad under exposed and shoot in RAW, then restore on the computer? . . . :huh::huh: Yes Fred, I did type that, now going to wash my mouth with soap . . . :rolleyes::lol:

SW

You can always bracket exposures, shoot in 'normal' -1 and -2 for example and then take a proper look in the warmth of home on the computer. That's the big advantage over the old days of film, you just ditch the rubbish pics and it's free ! :)

Rob.

You could try setting up using another part of the scene your trying to capture, for example pointing the camera at a mid grey tone and making changes to your settings, then depress shutter button halway, whilst holding the button halfway, move your camera to recompose the shot then fully depress the button.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

I hardly ever use the shutter button to lock the focus instead I use the AF-ON button. You have to go into the menu to set it up and though I know some people have tried it and said they couldn't work with that set-up I found that it only took a couple of sessions to get used to it. ;)

Edited by DelJ

Del.

Founder Member OFC.

Meldrew Lives

3863705131.jpg

I Do Believe It.