Lower Itchen Fishery Fish In

Dick Dastardly

The fly only section is upsteam of here to Howards run - which is around 500m below the railway bridge (and where the river splits in 2) - it's this section where they get a bit snotty about as its spawning redds for the game fish.

Although we've arranged coarse fishing, can I fly fish that stretch for grayling or is it out bounds completely?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although we've arranged coarse fishing, can I fly fish that stretch for grayling or is it out bounds completely?

Usually off limits - least ways it was the last time we asked! :rolleyes:

Website working OK for me - map of venue here.

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

It'll be the first time for me and I haven't been able to organise a pre fish-in recce as I wanted to.

Anyone got any practical tips about just being at the venue?

I've only been once before, but some advice from Budgie helped me out a lot - if you catch a decent grayling, stay put, even if the swim goes through a quiet spell, and keep feeding. I am usually a wanderer but I somehow managed to follow this advice when I was there, and ended up catching lots of quality grayling, including a couple of PBs.

There was a little colour in the water when I was there, which I thinked helped. I ended up feeding quite heavily, which seemed to work on the day. Corn was by far the best bait I tried.

The chub I saw caught were mosty from typical chubby spots - creases, slacks, cover.

This will be my first time using braid for grayling, and I am looking forward to seeing what effect it has on keeping the buggers on the hook!

What BS hooklength do people use there? I was on 3lb last time, but I think with a braided mainline that might not be man enough for big fish in fast water...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

This will be my first time using braid for grayling, and I am looking forward to seeing what effect it has on keeping the buggers on the hook!

Try a long shanked hook.....and make sure it is sharp! I have been using them for grayling for quite a while and I find that they increase the number of fish landed. I use fine wire long shanked down-eye patterns used for nymph tying. You might get through a few though, I find that although I can improve my catch rate the hooks suffer!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Thank you for the replies.

One final question. The track that runs the length of the stretch, does that mean that I can drive, park, fish and then move on in the car or is it just for access to the top end (I suspect the latter)? Quite happy to roam on foot but if I can take decent grub and cooking gear without having to carry it I'll be one very happy bunny. I'm already drooling at the prospect of a hot steak sarnie and cup of tea bankside.

I do like my creature comforts.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Thank you for the replies.

One final question. The track that runs the length of the stretch, does that mean that I can drive, park, fish and then move on in the car or is it just for access to the top end (I suspect the latter)? Quite happy to roam on foot but if I can take decent grub and cooking gear without having to carry it I'll be one very happy bunny. I'm already drooling at the prospect of a hot steak sarnie and cup of tea bankside.

I do like my creature comforts.

Chris - there are numerous spots you can pull in. Manys the time we've driven back down the fishery - boot open - rods all amde up to fish the bottom weir pool at dusk.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

What BS hooklength do people use there? I was on 3lb last time, but I think with a braided mainline that might not be man enough for big fish in fast water...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

4lb bottoms minimum for me - sometimes even a bit more - a 2lb grayling twisting like fury in fast water can be quite a handful!

C.

Cheers Chris :)

Are there any rules I need top be aware of - I couldn't see any on their website. Although I won't be using boilies or anything weird like that, I would like to be forewarned as it were.

Basically:

I take it braid is OK?

Maggot, worm, corn and bread?

Barbless or barbed (I tend to use microbarb).

Is fly OK on the coarse section?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."