Lower Itchen Fishery Fish In

Dick Dastardly

Looking forward to it. If the conditions don't look good for the Grayling then I might have a hunt for a Barbel - they love it coloured.

Will

Are there sufficient Itchen barbel to make them a viable proposition for a day out?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are there sufficient Itchen barbel to make them a viable proposition for a day out?

I never seen a barbel in the Itchen from all my trips in the past with Anglernet fish ins, Seen Grayling running up to 3lb plus (in the past), Chub to 2lb, rainbow trout, brown trout, and sea trout maybe in the 1lb.

Growing old is inevitable but growing up is optional

http://www.bass-online.co.uk/

Ive not heard of any big roach from LIF anyone know any different?

Ive heard rumours of barbel,seen pics of big carp and caught good chub but really the big graylings what its about.

EXACTLY! The barbel are meant to be in the weir pool - into low doubles - howvere a friend of mine hooked a really good fish while nymphing once - alas lost at at the net - this was in the fast streamy bit at the top of the coarse section. As for being a viable alternative if the river's out of sorts - probably not - though the chub might be!

C.

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

EXACTLY! The barbel are meant to be in the weir pool - into low doubles - howvere a friend of mine hooked a really good fish while nymphing once - alas lost at at the net - this was in the fast streamy bit at the top of the coarse section. As for being a viable alternative if the river's out of sorts - probably not - though the chub might be!

C.

Oh yes, it's grayling all the way for me. I'm even taking the fly rod(s) for a bit of Czech nymphing. I Will go for chub if the rivers out of sorts.

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

I remember reading the reports from the Fishing Magic crew a couple of seasons ago, when they went to LIF. One of them had a big barbel from the weirpool, and another had a 2lb+ roach :o So, they are in there, but I wouldn't go expecting to catch one...

The grayling fishing is superb, and having seen the chub potential, I will be taking a tip rod with me this time in addition to the trotting gear, and hopefully locate a chub or two.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

One of them had a big barbel from the weirpool

Last year I hooked something ENORMOUS on the float, it was on quite a wide section I had to follow it downstream quite a way and then it just plodded back upstream on the far bank, I couldn't do anything at all with it, eventually the hook pulled :headhurt::(

At the time I assumed it was a salmon or a very large trout.....

Rich

It'll be the first time for me and I haven't been able to organise a pre fish-in recce as I wanted to.

Anyone got any practical tips about just being at the venue?

Stuff like whether it's necessary to drive to a swim or is walking perfectly possible. If you do drive do you really need a 4x4? If not is car parking obvious? Is it likely to feel crowded with 15 anglers?

Also I've read that people have been caught fishing the out of bounds sections, are these areas signposted?

I can't get into their website at work.

Thank you.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

There is a dirt road running the length of the fishery - potholes, can be muddy, usually passable in an ordinary car but depends on the weather. Last time (in an RX-8 which didn't have much ground clearance) I decided discretion was the better part of valour and dumped the car in the car park at the start of the stretch, but the first time (in the Civic Type-R, which was quite a low car but not as low as the RX-8) I drove up with no problems. I'll be in the 4wd Subaru fishing wagon this time, so I will be driving up it!

It'll be the first time for me and I haven't been able to organise a pre fish-in recce as I wanted to.

Anyone got any practical tips about just being at the venue?

Stuff like whether it's necessary to drive to a swim or is walking perfectly possible. If you do drive do you really need a 4x4? If not is car parking obvious? Is it likely to feel crowded with 15 anglers?

Also I've read that people have been caught fishing the out of bounds sections, are these areas signposted?

I can't get into their website at work.

Thank you.

The coarse only section has a track all the way up it - upper limit is obvious - it says so and theres room for 2/3 cars here. Quite a few stops offs en route too. The fly only section is upsteam of here to Howards run - which is around 500m below the railway bridge (and where the river splits in 2) - it's this section where they get a bit snotty about as its spawning redds for the game fish. The upper section from Howards Run to the upper limit above the railway is the coarse syndicate stretch.

There is LOTS of water so you won't exactly be tripping over each other.

As for pointers - find the fish!!! Stay mobile - you might have to cover a lot of ground - but when you do it will be worth it. Take some corn - a good change bait and if you stop catching from a swim give it a rest and return.

Tis a lovely venue - enjoy!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog