Lower Itchen Fishery Fish In

Dick Dastardly

Steve and I will be travelling down in my Fiesta (ideal car for off-roading). Steve's idea............and I work for the renewable energy company building windfarms :rolleyes:

I look after trees but it doesn't make any difference to the CO2 produced going fishing!

OK just an idea. As long as we all consider our options I'm happy.

I'm so excited though - I'll probably be there at 5am!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK - this will whet the appetite - lifted straight off the CEMEX forum!! :rolleyes:

Fished LIF on Saturday (13th Feb) and had a good day. Gave up counting, but had probably 30 -40 grayling. Nothing massive, beest going 1lb 9oz, but good fun.

Had the obligatory half dozen salmon parr and a nice 2lb sea trout. Must have lost at least 20 grayling though.

Keep on the move until you find the fish, and even if you do move on, dont ignore it later in the day, as they will be moving all about again.

Height and clarity is pretty much spot on at the moment so you should bag up.

Heard of a few big roach coming out from the bottom end as well in the last week or so, including a healthy handful of 2lb+ fish.

Umm I know where I'm going to spend the last couple of hours on Friday!!!

C.

Sounds great! But we have a fair amount of rain coming this week, so conditions are bound to change.

I spent all my time right at the top end last time, this time I'm tempted to stick to the bottom end, especially if there's a chance of a roach...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sounds great! But we have a fair amount of rain coming this week, so conditions are bound to change.

I spent all my time right at the top end last time, this time I'm tempted to stick to the bottom end, especially if there's a chance of a roach...

I can see it now, flooded wet and horrible just like the Test fish in. I'm really disappointed by the weather forecast.

I hope it dries up a bit but it's unlikely. Leger rod it is then!

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

Im starting to worry about to much water as well! The CEMEX sites report sounds nothing like the LIF I know! but in all fairness things can change a lot in a year.However it makes me wonder why we (AN members) have certainly had our fair share of 2lb+ and in some cases :whistling: 3lb+ Grayling,4lb Chub,18lb Pike,24lb+ carp, the useual game fish but other than the occaisional sub 8ozs roach NO (that I know of) decent roach.................why as they (if they are there in any numbers) wont have just apeared!

Also never known loads and loads of small grayling to be caught (Timsbury style) either? Ive never caught more than 20 ish but quality.

No I for one will wait and see.

Funny enough though the only roach (all though only small) Ive had there have been on the bottom end of the fishery.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

On the subject of hook lengths Ive never gone above 1.7lb. I use a size 16 for maggot and a 14 for corn.As for loosing them unlike Timsbury Ive never had a problem on the Itchen! only difference in my set up between the two fisheries is that I dont use braided mainline on the Test (banned).

Float wise I would certainly reccomend going heavier rather than lighter.3-4 SSG Loafers/Chubbers being my choice as you need a lot of lead to keep the bait down if you hold back a bit.

Anderoo mentioned my "tip" for staying put if you catch a good un as others often follow if you keep feeding properly.Given to me by a mate who used to fish there regularly its a tip thats certainly paid off for me as Ive not fished there yet and not had a 3lb+ fish! Add to that Mr Plumbs sweetcorn "change bait" tip and you cant go wrong.

On the subject of hook lengths Ive never gone above 1.7lb. I use a size 16 for maggot and a 14 for corn.As for loosing them unlike Timsbury Ive never had a problem on the Itchen! only difference in my set up between the two fisheries is that I dont use braided mainline on the Test (banned).

Float wise I would certainly reccomend going heavier rather than lighter.3-4 SSG Loafers/Chubbers being my choice as you need a lot of lead to keep the bait down if you hold back a bit.

Anderoo mentioned my "tip" for staying put if you catch a good un as others often follow if you keep feeding properly.Given to me by a mate who used to fish there regularly its a tip thats certainly paid off for me as Ive not fished there yet and not had a 3lb+ fish! Add to that Mr Plumbs sweetcorn "change bait" tip and you cant go wrong.

Is a hooklength that light OK with a braid mainline? My trotting rod is nice and light with plenty of give in the tip, so perhaps I'm being too paranoid about breakages... I was hoping to get some practice before the fish-in but every attempt at trotting over the last few weeks has been a blank!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Is a hooklength that light OK with a braid mainline? My trotting rod is nice and light with plenty of give in the tip, so perhaps I'm being too paranoid about breakages... I was hoping to get some practice before the fish-in but every attempt at trotting over the last few weeks has been a blank!

Never had any problems at all mate.Tips of these rods are designed to handle bottoms of that size and lighter and the lack of stretch in the mainline doesnt affect this (unlike when were trying to use light mono hooklengths with braided mainlines on specimen rods).

Agree with that - my rod's made up for my Friday trip already - will start with a 4ssg loafer - might even step up to 5ssg when I see the river!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Never had any problems at all mate.Tips of these rods are designed to handle bottoms of that size and lighter and the lack of stretch in the mainline doesnt affect this (unlike when were trying to use light mono hooklengths with braided mainlines on specimen rods).

Mind you all this said about small hooks and light bottoms I dont honestly know if it makes a difference on waters like the Itchen but its what I know and old habits die hard.

Mind you all this said about small hooks and light bottoms I dont honestly know if it makes a difference on waters like the Itchen but its what I know and old habits die hard.

I don't think it does - in fast water the fish don't have long to make up there minds. I'd be very nervous fishing that light - escpecially with the chance of a decent chub or the grayling of a lifetime - but then again its what I'm used to!!

Don't like the look of all the rain on the south coast yesterday - hope we don't get too much (or any!) more.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog