Lower Itchen Fishery Fish In

Dick Dastardly

I sincerely hope it was better than where I was in Kent.............absolutely foul weather.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, firstly thanks to KAYC for organising the day out, it is much appreciated. From what I’ve seen today LIF will certainly be getting a repeat visit from me before long, hopefully before the end of the season, but on this occasion it got the better of me (by a long way).

On arrival the river looked high and fast but on the just ok side of coloured, there was still optimism. This motley group represented about a third of our party, note how effective Andrew B’s camo gear is, he has no legs, just what you need when the backdrop to your swim is a gravel car park.

IMG_3882.jpg

Budgie was insistent that we didn’t start to fish before 8:00am, we all doffed our caps in acknowledgement of this adherence to the rules….until we realised that he’d parked his car at the entrance to the fishery thus ensuring pole position in the swim grand prix.

IMG_3884.jpg

At 7.55am I couldn’t wait any longer and so we set off to explore the water (behind Budgie). The website map isn’t too clear but Chris Plumb’s guide proved invaluable and we were soon headed in the direction of the coarse syndicate stretch. If you’re granted access to this bit on a group booking you have to try it because you don’t get access on an individual day ticket. I won’t bore you with tales of lost fish and missed bites because there weren’t any. The morning rain and last night’s run off ensured that the river quickly became the wrong side of coloured and before long it was coffee.

Catching anything was going to be tough but Steve and I persevered and eventually he was rewarded with a Grayling. This pic shows how high the water level was and if you look carefully to the right you’ll see Steve’s particularly laid back trotting style….oh hang on, surely the bounder didn’t catch the fish quiver tipping a feeder?

IMG_3887.jpg

As ever when the fishing’s not going very well thoughts turn to one’s stomach and so it was that we retired to a run down old hut to cook up some sausage rolls (with brown sauce) and fresh brewed tea. A debut appearance for my compact Wind pro cooker device.

http://www.lakesclimber.com/camping/stoves...pro-p-6978.html

Very expensive but it’s tiny and chucks out heat like there’s no tomorrow so we were soon refuelled and ready to resume battle with a steadily rising Itchen, I thought bridges were supposed to clear the water.

IMG_3888.jpg

Not too long after this at about 3:30pm the Itchen won the battle, we called it a day and headed back to the car park to console other defeated anglers. Some though were staying on into dusk, perhaps the old ally would change their fortune?

Despite the most spectacular blank at a venue which is renowned for not doing that to anglers it was still a very enjoyable day for us. We know the venue layout now and that in itself will be very handy for next time.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Ooh eck! I have my trip to LIF on thursday so if thats what it is like now and more rain is forecast mmmm is it really worth getting out of bed? Well done for sticking at it guys and I am sure it was a good social at the hut but I may just cut my losses! :angry:

Well that was grim! Sadly our worst fears were realised and all the weeks rain had taken its toll.River was literally bursting its banks at a couple of points notably in my favourite back eddy swim where a new carrier had sprung up right where I normally park my seat! Coloured and very cold.

Only managed three fish first a chub of 3.12 which was very wasted looking and had a definite cormorant "stab" down one flank.Scabby but most welcome on such a day! Thanks to Paul for netting it as each time I got it up the back flow just drifted it away the size 16 nearly opening up!

Last two fish were the smallest minnows Ive ever seen! but goes to show that even the heaviest of Loafers can still show delicate bites.

Many thanks to KAYC for organising the day and as always good to see everyone.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Ooh eck! I have my trip to LIF on thursday so if thats what it is like now and more rain is forecast mmmm is it really worth getting out of bed?

Honestly - no!

The social aspect made it an enjoyable day but I think it's fair to say that the fishing was very poor. The river was all wrong and they just didn't want to know. I caught one little grayling on floatfished corn and feel very lucky to have caught even that! My heart wasn't really in it and we spent more time wandering about looking for THE banker (never did find it!) than actually fishing. A chalk stream the colour of coffee was always going to be a tough day, and add to that a biting cold wind and it was a proper grueller!

Still, many thanks to KAYC for doing the organising, it was much appreciated, and as I said, despite the hard fishing it was good to spend a day in good company.

And no massive queues on the A34 - that's a first!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Figuring that a blank was a strong possibility either way - and that if one must blank, heroism is preferable to ignominy - I left my feeder rod and maggots in the car and spent the entire day fly fishing "duo" style, hoping for the one fish that would turn base failure into golden glory.

That would be the heroic blank then. <_<

Rusty thanks very much for being taxi driver today even if you did think you were driving to the back of beyond finding my place in the dark ,great day and good to meet evrybody even if the conditions and fishing were not great ,Fluked this grayling on the tip

017-3.jpg

Then as Rusty set off on yet another wander with the centrepin i risked the wrath of the traditionalists and resorted to type

020-2.jpg

One dropped run being the only result .

Got there early only for the O Driscol brothers to turn up in there drug dealing Range Rover complete with blacked out windows and pinched the pole position as Rusty had said ,We decided not to mention this in case they unleashed the mandatory mac10 and Kalashnikov on us :lol: .

Hope everyone got home OK and the late stayers managed some fish ,rusty forgot to give you your beer so if you can make Speen Moors this weekend there are bottles of Dr Hextors wedding ale ,Good old boy ,And Mr Chubs waiting for you .

Thanks to KAYC for organising and rusty for cooking the sausages Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

412 miles for a blank. Would I do it again. Definately. It was starting to get dark when I left but there were still 2 stalwarts battling the elements in search of an elusive specimen with another 2 down but not beat piscators giving moral support. Probably still there.