Lower Itchen Fishery Fish In

Dick Dastardly

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am too late for the fish in I do hope to visit fairly soon so I am seeking some tips about tackling the fishery. I have visited it once a few years ago when I had problems with eye sight and just chanced trotting a chubber float so at least I could see it! The river was carrying extra water and the going was tough for most but I did still manage some good fish alternating between maggots and sweetcorn trotted at almost full depth. I felt this approach was far from ideal but it attracted grayling trout and a good chub. Most of the gang I fished with were also newcomers to the fishery so not much to learn from them either.

Wanting to travel light means for me getting the right line, float weight/type, and hook size/type before I start walking so I am looking for these 3 things for an average day at the fishery. Despite the quick pace I still prefer the lightweight, fast action match float rod and corresponding line etc approach though some have commented that they were successful even with quite unrefined set ups and one commented he felt he would have struggled on finer tackle to land some of the fish. Help!

One good bit of advice I can pass on is that which Martin Bowler gave me before my first trip.That is if you catch a good Grayling then stay put in the swim rather than continuing to rove as the bigger are fish often found together.Its certainly worked for me as Ive had quite a few threes from there now and never fished it without getting a two plus even though a few seasons back they lost a lot of the bigger fish.

Ive also found that braided mainline (I use 10lb Spiderwire) helps there as Ive lost very few unlike on a lot of waters where Ive used/had to use mono. Ive always used red maggot and fished relatively fine (size 16 hook to 1.7lb bottom). Float wise a Drennan Loafer (from 2SSG to 4SSG dependant on current) is all I bother with with bulk shotting to keep the bait down.17' match rod and a pin. My preference is for the top end of the fishery.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for that input Budgie. I certainly would never have thought to use braid but presumably line pick up time is reduced considerably and very few worries about the line not floating. I think the bit about keeping the bait down is sound and again perhaps the only way to manage that is with a float that can carry loads of weight. I am much more used to a slower pace and often get away with a 5 No 4 stick. With that neatly shotted a minnow can take it under without stress! Looks like I may have to ressurect my 17ft rod :P

I've only fished there once before but I followed Budgie's advice and stayed put after a good fish, and ended up having a terrific day. The swim went through lots of quiet spells and I had to really resist the urge to move. Regular feeding (especially with corn) and a break from the fishing kept bringing the fish back on the feed.

I did lose quite a few though, but I always do with grayling. I use mono mainline, so that may be a contributing factor.

I would say that if in doubt, use a heavier float than you think you need. The extra control it gives you more than makes up for any lack of sensitivity.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

One good bit of advice I can pass on is that which Martin Bowler gave me before my first trip.That is if you catch a good Grayling then stay put in the swim rather than continuing to rove as the bigger are fish often found together.Its certainly worked for me as Ive had quite a few threes from there now and never fished it without getting a two plus even though a few seasons back they lost a lot of the bigger fish.

Ive also found that braided mainline (I use 10lb Spiderwire) helps there as Ive lost very few unlike on a lot of waters where Ive used/had to use mono. Ive always used red maggot and fished relatively fine (size 16 hook to 1.7lb bottom). Float wise a Drennan Loafer (from 2SSG to 4SSG dependant on current) is all I bother with with bulk shotting to keep the bait down.17' match rod and a pin. My preference is for the top end of the fishery.

Spot on advice for LIF - pretty much how I fish it - I usually go with 4ssg Loafer - and my mainline is Fireline. I don't go bigger than a 16 - though go a little higher on the hooklength B/S!!! I've also found sweetcorn a good 'change bait'. The swim could have gone dead when trotting mag and you might be thinking of moving or resting it - well change to corn - surprising the number of times this has resulted in a fish immediately! (And often a very good fish too!). Coarse section is always worth a go if you can get it - though don't ignore the top of the DT section either - this held the biggest fish when 'we' were there back in Feb this year. Make sure you know where the upper and lower limits are for the fly only section - I believe they had problems with a large party last season tramping around and fishing this middle section - leading to some anglers being banned!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Just adding dates to my diary and realised I have double booked myself :(:( I won't be able to make this one I'm afraid, please let one of the reserves have my place.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!