• yes
    • no
    • for an extended period ,over a week for instance
  3. 3. alternative cooking IE not dependant on utilities

• yes
    • no
    • for an extended period ,over a week for instance

Been thinking about this thread a bit.

I'm very aware that as my house is heated by a gas fired central heating system, I'm going to be completely without heating if either the gas or electricity suply is cut off.

As the house is fairly new, I have no chimneys so a solid fuel stove isn't an option.

A stand alone electric heater is still dependent on having a power suply.

Portable calor gas heaters punp carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and huge amounts of water vapour into the air - which isn't good.

The best stand alone option that I've seen so far is a wall mounted calor gas heater that vents it's exaust gasses outside the house and can be conected to an external bottle.

They do look a bit frumpy but they are affordable at about £180.

Although I've seen them on the net, I've never seen one in the flesh and don't know anyone who has one.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of heater or any suggestions for an alternative ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a well-stocked campervan, ie a fortnight's food, with alternative (Calor Gas) cooking. Other items include several wind-up torches, candles, water containers, TWO Kelly kettles, miniature GAZ cooker, about half a ton of coal, plenty of logs (and trees to fell when we run out - yes I have a woodman's axe.) The guy next door has a chain saw, and keeps chickens. We barter fish for eggs after a good day at the black bream. A total of four car batteries fully charged. Petrol and diesel tanks on the vehicles usually over half-full.

Trout, eels and perch are plentiful within a day's walking distance and there are plenty of lobs to be dug in the garden. Plenty of pigeons, squirrels and rabbits visit the garden and I still kept an air rifle when I packed in my shotgun......and I will make sure to stay friends with the deer culler up the road who supplies us with venison. A barbie on the terrace and enough charcoal to cook a couple of feasts - use wood when that's gone. Good smattering of emergency tinned food. Plenty of pulses, flour, pasta, stacks of herbs and spices....and we have a good cook !

Yeh, I reckon we could survive a month or two.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

We have a well-stocked campervan, ie a fortnight's food, with alternative (Calor Gas) cooking. Other items include several wind-up torches, candles, water containers, TWO Kelly kettles, miniature GAZ cooker, about half a ton of coal, plenty of logs (and trees to fell when we run out - yes I have a woodman's axe.) The guy next door has a chain saw, and keeps chickens. We barter fish for eggs after a good day at the black bream. A total of four car batteries fully charged. Petrol and diesel tanks on the vehicles usually over half-full.

Trout, eels and perch are plentiful within a day's walking distance and there are plenty of lobs to be dug in the garden. Plenty of pigeons, squirrels and rabbits visit the garden and I still kept an air rifle when I packed in my shotgun......and I will make sure to stay friends with the deer culler up the road who supplies us with venison. A barbie on the terrace and enough charcoal to cook a couple of feasts - use wood when that's gone. Good smattering of emergency tinned food. Plenty of pulses, flour, pasta, stacks of herbs and spices....and we have a good cook !

Yeh, I reckon we could survive a month or two.

lol can i come to your house for tea? :lol:

Edited by captain cojones

lol can i come to your house for tea? :lol:

Sure, but bring your own sandwiches :P

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Been thinking about this thread a bit.

I'm very aware that as my house is heated by a gas fired central heating system, I'm going to be completely without heating if either the gas or electricity suply is cut off.

As the house is fairly new, I have no chimneys so a solid fuel stove isn't an option.

A stand alone electric heater is still dependent on having a power suply.

Portable calor gas heaters punp carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide and huge amounts of water vapour into the air - which isn't good.

The best stand alone option that I've seen so far is a wall mounted calor gas heater that vents it's exaust gasses outside the house and can be conected to an external bottle.

They do look a bit frumpy but they are affordable at about £180.

Although I've seen them on the net, I've never seen one in the flesh and don't know anyone who has one.

Does anyone have any experience of this sort of heater or any suggestions for an alternative ?

the calor cabinet heaters arent that bad (we've had several over the years) you get the same amount of water than

t is in natural gas or any other fuel but as you say its not vented outside .Not a bad thing if you think about it your antique furniture isnt going to shrink and you wont get a sore throat due to the humidity being very low :D

A monoxide detector keeps you safe we have always had one since we lived in the motorhome ;)

if you can get the heater for £180 grab it its far cheaper than caravan or motorhome versions and i suspect there mobile home type ones which can be thirsty on calor.

we haven't the room for a cabinet heater although the small ones look ok but we do have very hot radiant heaters two which connect straight to calor bottles and one that uses the little C206 gaz cylinders which we take camping.They are noisy though so you use more battery turning the telly up :D

we used to have a lovely gas heater who's backboiler ran the central heating the council in its wisdom removed it so in a power cut we have nothing official we can use.

we can go a few more weeks yet now i'v collected the mrs's prescription (yesterdays hike wasn't for fun) if the electric goes though we then will only have the gas fires and gas fridge to keep things fresh (outside is too cold for milk but inside the sheds probably OK) 3 way freezers are very expensive but i live in hope i find one at a boot fair one day.ITs easier to keep things warm than cold so no electric in the winter for food isnt as bad as in the summer so fridges not so important than heating

we were lucky in wilkinsons the other day they had full sized single bed fleeces (most are not full sized) for £1.97 each ,we bought 4 one day then went back and bought another 4 the next ,all gone we left just one on the shelf :D blooming warm things.

the 120 amp battery in the shed is on a smart charger so its always topped up ,a few more would be nice but an expensive outlay for just bad case scenarios ,the cars got a split charger so it can be expensively charged running the car if needed ,the golfs battery is also on a smart charger so there for emergencies as well.

definately need so snow chains ,although the road is clear 3 miles away (in one direction not sure about any others) were stuck because if we did venture out and get stuck the mrs couldnt push the car to get going again and cannot drive if i tried so we dare not try just in case ,rear wheel drive is not the best for icy conditions

going by the poll most have alternate means for the short term but perhaps this year some thought perhaps for a longer one ,those with gas are more fortunate our old house was all electric (or rather the heating was oil but fully dependant on electric ofcourse) and power cuts the reason we have stockpiled things now.

single oil or gas or petrol lamps are ok but of course if you go to another room you take it with you much to to annoyance of those left behind :D we have the 3 Aladdin lamps (mentioned in another thread) which are silent (telly uses less leccy) but in power cuts i light all 3 plus the 3 backup roarers the pressure lamps our house is brighter than normal and more than once neighbours have knocked thinking its just them :D got a few more in the shed as well if i'm out to show off to the neighbours huddling round their candles

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.shopauto2000.com/shopauto/famil...l?familiaId=153

you can see how cheap they are here from the link. ive often thought of importing them to sell in the uk.

halfords are £68 :o but theres different qualities and some are reversible so when you wear out one side you turn it over ,ofcourse though at the moment i need them to drive over to pick them up from halfords :D

i wish the council had removed the chimney liner and cowl ,we cant even have a real fire and the chimney to high and me to fat to walk up the roof to knock it off

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

http://www.shopauto2000.com/shopauto/famil...l?familiaId=154

the ones in the link above are a different type- fitted in a few seconds, they slip over normal tyres to convert them to snow tyres, i dont know if ive even seen these advertised in the uk, but they are commonly carried in mountain areas here.

if you can get the heater for £180 grab it its far cheaper than caravan or motorhome versions and i suspect there mobile home type ones which can be thirsty on calor.

No indication of whether it's the natural gas or LPG version but take a look here.

They do make nicer designs but they're more expensive.

Maybe better to wait until sales are low in July and negotiate.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.