Timsbury

lyn

First off a big thinks to Tony & Sue for their organisation and Vidar for inviting me along. I had a great day out in the pouring rain. It was good to meet so many of you yesterday even though I don't frequent this forum that often, it was a pleasure to talk to those who I did meet.

I'm not that much of an angler to be honest so an invite to an AN fish-in by Vidar had me wondering how I would cope as I've only been fishing for 18 months or so, mostly alongside Vidar on the odd day out. Usually he whips me hands down on either species or size and the day started that way with Vidar hooking a Greyling on his 1st cast. However the tables turned after an hour of catching trout for me on the upper part of the fast carrier when I saw, hooked and landed this beauty. Gave me the run around for 5 mins or so and I just got it to the net as Vidar wandered over to see what was causing me so much hastle.

291109046s.jpg

After that I had several rainbows, several salmon par, a baby grayling all of 8" long and a number of brown trout all from various stretches of the upper fast carrier. I also plucked out a lovely rainbow from below the weir where it runs under the footbridge and into the main river. I reckon it was probably the same fish (or similar) to Tincatinca's above. All in all about a dozen sizeable fish and a few tiddlers. I'm still in shock, as I said earlier, I don't usually catch much and was expecting the odd fish at most.

Thanks again, I had a superb day out and the soup and bacon roll was most most welcome at the end of the day.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope you are all home safe & sound.

lyn

I hope Chavender got home OK. He had a long drive - he told me he elft at 4am. It must ahve been 10pm before he got home. Mind you when I left I don't think he had returned to his car - did anyone see him?

"I want some repairs done to my cooker as it has backfired and burnt my knob off."

On the way home I pondered the fishery and to be honest, even if the main river were fishable, I don't think it is really worth the £18 day ticket. The length of the Test is very short, and with only one carrier there is not very much water really. The river has sopn many trout, and if the corse fihs ahve been taken out as suggested it is really a fishery for out of season trout. Judging by the number of floats festooning the trees, and the rather worn mouths of two of the grayling I caught, it is also very heavily fished.

I came to the same conclusion about the place around 5 years ago - I always thought it was somewhat over promoted by the owners..... <_<

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

yes many thanks too tony ,i enjoyed it ,and i caught so thats a bonus ( a perch from the last quarter of the slow carrier ,a small trout and a small grayling after my tea break but hard going dodging the debris ) i had a bit of a set too with a twig in the water ,i then tries too bring in ,it snagged up so i then in my wisdom gave a big stike too sacrifice the hook ,my takle went up into the branches the twig worked loose and drifted down stream ,i then carefully drew my tackle back over the tree branch it was draped over fortunatly i'd lost the hook in the twig earlier my shot had pinged off as well so my tackle came cleanly off the branch and flopped into the water and was immeadiatly attacked by a lump of floating weed which slid me float off the line and sent me scurrying down the bank too catch it in my landing net .i went and sat on my stool in the rain too set up again ,but thought better of it ,i decided time was against me for travelling home so decided too call it a day ,i went too see how everyone had done before trudging back too me car to head off home . i actually made good time even with three stops offs toilet/driving breaks .i think though next time i'll seriously think about stopping over as i loose too much valuable fishing time driving there and back the same day rushing home in time for X-Factor :o:P

its a shame that the new layout and the 3/4's of the slow carrier being out of action have deminished the attraction of the place really ,if they cut the price too match whats on offer its still a good place too fish when its not the monsoon season probably a better new year venue as its at its best with a settled cold period and a good ground frost under its belt . :sun:

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Thanks Tony for getting this meet going, and to all that turned up and braved the weather, a big thanks to Lyn for the grub and drink.

My day was little to shout about, got there a little late, and found that all the early birds had gone upstream. As no one was near where the entrance to the venue was, this was where I started. :(

Sat the first half of the day trying to get something out of a deep part of the main river, not a bite, :o with lots of rubbish coming downstream, it made a very frustrating morning.

Later on I moved up to the fast carrier, however, with the river out of sorts and the limited slow carrier access, the fast carrier was getting quite crowded.

Within a few trots I had my fist fingerling trout (not a blank then ;) ) followed by a few more than a trout, a white spotted thing (not really up with the trout types), then a grayling :D mission accomplished, a brown spotted thing, a grayling that I managed to mess up on the landing, and a minnow, how on earth could it live in there with all them trout about?

It was good to see some new faces, and the mulled apple juice was top notch. ;)

Must admit, I didn't notice this last time and took a snap in the landing net of a big trout I caught (maybe it's a recent addition to the rules) but I thought I would just mention it:

No Fish to Be Removed from The Fishery (No game fish to be photographed)

;)

Must admit, I didn't notice this last time and took a snap in the landing net of a big trout I caught (maybe it's a recent addition to the rules) but I thought I would just mention it:

No Fish to Be Removed from The Fishery (No game fish to be photographed)

;)

If that was aimed at me then I do apologise. Didn't know so I'll remove it if anyone disapproves.

I also think it's hard to justify the £18 ticket now, but if the main river had been in good condition it would have been different. Even then, the trout outnumber the proper fish by quite a margin.

Also, I bet it had been hammered the day before, in much better conditions!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Nice fish Blockhead, a corker, look at the tail on that!

Edited by Worms

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!